Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 03:02 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,979,471 times

Advertisements

Be cool with the cops and they'll return the favor. Ive had nothing but great encounters with police here in PHX. As for the tailgating thing, I think its a combination of things: 1) intimidation factor - seeing a big Tahoe grille in the rearview mirror is intimidating 2) lesser chance for you to run 3) to run your plates. Just my guesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 04:02 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,320,722 times
Maybe it's just me, but I fail to see why the OP is complaining. The police officer pulled you over for a broken light. That is normal procedure in any state. He didn't give you a ticket. He wasn't rude to you. It is your obligation to get your light fixed. If you don't, you are subject to being pulled over. The officer did the right thing.

The police officers in Phoenix are quite reasonable. They don't ask for much. If you are respectful, they will be respectful back. Arizona has it's share of problems but the police officers in this state are not one of them. They have been some of the best I've ever encountered.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:05 PM

848 posts, read 970,509 times
You guys jump on things far too easily around here without reading carefully (and when one or two people make a disparaging remark, it starts a bandwagon). I very clearly stated that the encounter itself went very well; he was very polite, he listened to what I said without brushing it off, and he was very timely and efficient. It was surprising and it was nice, because oftentimes during traffic stops a lot of cops seem defensive in their language and talk down to you like you're an idiot. So I appreciated that he did not do this and was very cordial. I don't have a problem with the face-to-face encounter and I said as much. I even stated I'm sure safety-comes-first explains some behaviors (blinding lights; approaching a car at night from diagonally-behind 50 feet away, flashlight shining and hand on the holster - understandable) and I did what I could to facilitate that (interior lights on, hands on the wheel, telling him I had to reach, etc).

My question and comment was specifically about the general police behavior of floored-pedal charges down the street even under benign circumstances and the bumper riding. It can be explained away, maybe very legitimately, by needing to see the plates (but being that close you'd think they're trying to naked-eye the tiny blank print on the registration sticker). But it doesn't LOOK that way to most people. You see someone charging down the street at you to then ride you for 1/4 - 1/2 mile or more before the lights come on. How does that not seem aggressive, despite that it may factually be a plate check before the stop? There has to be a better way.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Sounds like the police officer did an outstanding job and yet you're on here criticizing him???

I guess you were looking for a story to sensationalize, how some cop violated your rights and when that didn't happen you had to come on with something negative anyway?

So, your headlight is faulty and the police officer pulled you over for it. You showed him it was in fact faulty and yet he let you go without even a warning. Yet you're not happy with the experience?

I've been driving for 33 years and 9 of them in Arizona. I've never experienced a cop racing up to me from behind. If I were getting pulled over I wouldn't think twice about a police office racing to catch up to me. Lots of people run, wants to see what I'm doing inside the car once he lights me up, wants to read my plate, etc.

Get your headlight fixed and quit worrying about such things.
LOL You and I agree more than we think

Old 11-18-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post

My question and comment was specifically about the general police behavior of floored-pedal charges down the street even under benign circumstances and the bumper riding. It can be explained away, maybe very legitimately, by needing to see the plates (but being that close you'd think they're trying to naked-eye the tiny blank print on the registration sticker). But it doesn't LOOK that way to most people. You see someone charging down the street at you to then ride you for 1/4 - 1/2 mile or more before the lights come on. How does that not seem aggressive, despite that it may factually be a plate check before the stop? There has to be a better way.
I don't see what the issue is. It seems like standard operating procedure for a police officer to follow you closely before pulling you over to get plate information and view the number of passengers in the car. Another reviewer already said that.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:09 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,164,631 times
Quote:
Again...standard operating procedure. The officer won't turn their lights on until he has documented all the needed information with dispatch, ran the plate and finished their communications with dispatch. THEN they will flip on the lights and at night, flip on either their high beams or the "take down" lights. These guys and gals deal with nasty stuff all day every day. Officers are shot and killed in seemingly ordinary traffic stops all the time. It is more for their safety than yours. Besides the intimidation factor, once that officer is on your bumper, you know they are there and can prepare yourself to be pulled over.

For the record, I don't think you are complaining...just wondering why this behavior is repeated. Yes, they are taught to do this. If it makes you nervous, just find a safe place to pull over and do it. It makes their job of driving and communicating with dispatch that much easier.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:45 PM

1,013 posts, read 981,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Sorry, PhoenixSomeday . . . I am not catching your point.

Being a Cop nowadays is, for want of a better term, RISKY BUSINESS. They definitely deserve praise and appreciation rather than criticism and empty complaints. Referring to this area as being "Yosemite Sam Land" definitely indicates an attitude issue . . . read: Chip On Your Shoulder. A sincere Thank You for the alert to a potentially dangerous malfunction is in order.

He had every right to stop you because an inoperative headlight at 10:15PM is a violation and dangerous for both you and all of the other drivers on the road.

Why he asked the "weapons question" is more than likely a Standard Procedure, if not, possibly an optional personal policy. In either case, What difference does it make?"

Time to drop the feeble excuses, get your headlight switch repaired / replaced and conform to all mandatory vehicle requirements for your own safety.
Great post!

Old 11-18-2016, 07:37 PM

551 posts, read 694,897 times
This officer sounded polite and completely reasonable. What is the problem again?

Old 11-19-2016, 12:52 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,710,858 times
Quote:
You guys jump on things far too easily around here without reading carefully (and when one or two people make a disparaging remark, it starts a bandwagon). I very clearly stated that the encounter itself went very well; he was very polite, he listened to what I said without brushing it off, and he was very timely and efficient. It was surprising and it was nice, because oftentimes during traffic stops a lot of cops seem defensive in their language and talk down to you like you're an idiot. So I appreciated that he did not do this and was very cordial. I don't have a problem with the face-to-face encounter and I said as much. I even stated I'm sure safety-comes-first explains some behaviors (blinding lights; approaching a car at night from diagonally-behind 50 feet away, flashlight shining and hand on the holster - understandable) and I did what I could to facilitate that (interior lights on, hands on the wheel, telling him I had to reach, etc).

a surprising number of traffic stops turn into chases - if the cop is already right up on your bumper, running doesn't seem like as good of an option. I agree, it is aggressive & I don't personally think the aggressiveness is a good trait to condone. That said, you're thinking the stop was about a headlight, and most all "traffic stops" are pretext stops - where the cop is expecting you to be high, drunk, or in a car full of stolen merchandise, the headlight is just an excuse to tweak you & see if something "fun" or "exciting" comes out of it. Cops aren't in the "safety" business, or the "protection" business, they're in the arresting business. Just like a salesman looks for easy sales, a cop looks for easy arrests & defective equipment is their chance to pull the handle & see if any quarters come out.

Old 11-19-2016, 01:08 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,968,539 times
Luckily they never ask me if I have a gun. Cause I'd have to answer truthfully.

"Why yes officer, I have a .45 on my hip, and a 9mm backup on my other side. Oh and a .380 on my ankle, and a .357 in my purse. Then there's the .44 mag truck gun in the glove box, and my Baretta in the console, oh and my AR15 under the back seat. Oh yeah, and a 12ga shotgun in the trunk."

"MY GOD Lady, what are you afraid of ! ?"

"Not a thing officer, not a thing.".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area