Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 11:31 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,505,617 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My husband is in the very early stages of interviewing with a company in Scottsdale. We currently live in the Portland, OR area.

While the interview may come to nothing I thought I would take a look a see what life would cost and look like in Scottsdale. If you don't mind, I'd love some recommendations on what areas to look at. The job is in Central Scottsdale.

We have 2 kids, middle schoolers who are currently in Catholic school, we would probably like to continue that if we moved to AZ. We like more established neighborhoods with a good mix of ages, larger lots (not huge but 1/3 acre to an acre) and around 2500-3000sqft.

We would like to be close enough to major conveniences without being right in the busiest part of town. A commute under 30min for my husband is important. Being close to reputable Catholic schools would be a bonus but not a necessity. The neighborhood doesn't have to be in Scottsdale if there's an area within a reasonable distance elsewhere.

That's the wish list! Housing budget up to 750K, would rather be 650K Willing to remodel for the right location and a lower price.

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 11:39 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,287,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Hi all,
My husband is in the very early stages of interviewing with a company in Scottsdale. We currently live in the Portland, OR area.

While the interview may come to nothing I thought I would take a look a see what life would cost and look like in Scottsdale. If you don't mind, I'd love some recommendations on what areas to look at. The job is in Central Scottsdale.

We have 2 kids, middle schoolers who are currently in Catholic school, we would probably like to continue that if we moved to AZ. We like more established neighborhoods with a good mix of ages, larger lots (not huge but 1/3 acre to an acre) and around 2500-3000sqft.

We would like to be close enough to major conveniences without being right in the busiest part of town. A commute under 30min for my husband is important. Being close to reputable Catholic schools would be a bonus but not a necessity. The neighborhood doesn't have to be in Scottsdale if there's an area within a reasonable distance elsewhere.

That's the wish list! Housing budget up to 750K, would rather be 650K Willing to remodel for the right location and a lower price.

Thanks all!
I like the area of Cactus/101 in Scottsdale. It's maybe right on the edge of North/Central Scottsdale, close to the freeway, close to all of the shopping in the Kierland area and others. This is a more established area with larger lot sizes. A community like Stoneridge Estates would fit the Sub $750K budget unless it was incredibly remodeled. I don't know about Catholic schools other than Notre Dame Prep a few miles to the North.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:48 PM

2,154 posts, read 5,183,116 times
Definitely consider N. Scottsdale. Pope John XXIII Catholic school is near 60th St and Greenway, a nice established area similar to what you have described. You could even live a little further north and still be within easy commute to school and your husbands employment. When high school comes, Notre Dame is a very highly regarded school near 98th St and Bell, it would be a great choice. Again not too far a commute.

Any of the neighborhoods near Bell Road and Scottsdale Road will accommodate your needs, most likely at your price point you will want to live in the 85255 but you can look in the 85254, 85260, (even 85054) zip codes as well. I think you will find what you are seeking.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:14 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,663,029 times
McCormick Ranch for sure. Great central Scottsdale location, established neighborhoods with a variety of home styles, mixed age demographic, large lots, beautiful and green, great restaurants, the Green Belt, clean, safe and somewhat affluent. Search in 85258. Good luck and hopefully welcome!

Old 11-29-2016, 06:16 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,505,617 times
Thanks all!

Old 11-30-2016, 06:04 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,872,823 times
Keep in mind when someone describes an area in Scottsdale as being green, it will be far browner than you expected. There is less privacy than you are used to since there are less trees. You might not want a large lot in Scottsdale as it means you'll have a lot of dirt and rocks or a ton of irrigation, or even an unpaved driveway. Larger lot homes tend to be quite old too and upgrading them is not so easy with a shortage of qualified contractors in the area.

Just be ready for the whole place and mentality to be quite different from Portland. I know, I went through your exact search lately. You will find excellent Catholic schools on hand though, on par with Jesuit in Portland, or even better if you're willing to drive them closer to downtown. Unless you like blazing sun, get a house with the backyard facing north or west.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:43 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,663,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Keep in mind when someone describes an area in Scottsdale as being green, it will be far browner than you expected. There is less privacy than you are used to since there are less trees. You might not want a large lot in Scottsdale as it means you'll have a lot of dirt and rocks or a ton of irrigation, or even an unpaved driveway. Larger lot homes tend to be quite old too and upgrading them is not so easy with a shortage of qualified contractors in the area.

Just be ready for the whole place and mentality to be quite different from Portland. I know, I went through your exact search lately. You will find excellent Catholic schools on hand though, on par with Jesuit in Portland, or even better if you're willing to drive them closer to downtown. Unless you like blazing sun, get a house with the backyard facing north or west.
There's a lot wrong with this post. I suspect that you've never been to the area. I'd encourage the OP to take that into consideration.

There is nothing brown about the McCormick Ranch area. Most homes have lawns and the neighbrohooods are surrounded by parks, greenbelts, tree-lined streets and golf courses. Lots tend to actually be more private than elsewhere since most of the homes are single stories with block walls and plants such as oleanders extending beyond the walls.

A large lot is great if you want grass, a pool, an entertaining area, etc. We have a lot more than rocks and dirt in ours. Sure that drives some cost but it's not completely out of reach in the OP's budget.

A west facing yard is terrible advice if you like to do anything outside in the summer evenings. North and south exposures are most desirable.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:31 AM

52 posts, read 73,046 times
we live in McCormick Ranch and it is exactly what you are looking for. It is centrally located, has tons of greenery (at least for AZ) and the homes are in your price range. Look no further.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:47 AM

17 posts, read 26,351 times
McCormick Ranch for sure. It's my favorite neighborhood in Scottsdale because it's green, has lakes, people are always out walking/running/biking, it's centrally located between N and S Scottsdale as well as Paradise Valley and Arcadia. N. Scottsdale is a decent second option. McDowell Mountain Ranch is great although, before moving into that area, definitely read up on the Desert Discovery Center bull****.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:59 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,284,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nope098 View Post
McCormick Ranch for sure. It's my favorite neighborhood in Scottsdale because it's green, has lakes, people are always out walking/running/biking, it's centrally located between N and S Scottsdale as well as Paradise Valley and Arcadia.
I also highly recommend the McCormick area for the reasons you stated. It's an older, established area that is well maintained ... and the best part is the fact that it's a greenbelt. I'm sure there are a few homes with rock/xeriscape yards, but it's mostly grass, shade trees, and lakes. Like you said, it's a great area to be out walking or biking due to the close proximity of parks along Hayden Road. It's also close to downtown/Old Town Scottsdale if that matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area