Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 12:05 PM

5 posts, read 4,436 times

Advertisements

How do you pick where to live in the Valley, when future jobs might be in far flung corners? That's the dilemma I'm trying to answer right now. I just moved back to the Valley, where I grew up, with a new wife in tow and we are looking to set down long term roots (left better opportunities in Detroit, but wanted to be close to parents and everything I grew up with). But in trying to pick where to buy our house, one we would like to stay in for a long time, my wife and I are getting stressed.

I grew up in Glendale, my parents are in Glendale, and my current job is in Glendale (wife works from home for now), I like Glendale well enough. It should be an obvious choice, but it isn't. I know this job is likely just a pit stop. Almost all engineering jobs in the Valley are in Scottsdale, Tempe, Phoenix, Chandler, Gilbert. Often the deep Southeast, or East Valley. And who knows what the future holds? Maybe Glendale & Peoria someday start attracting white collar jobs and the Valley evens out a bit. Moving in less than 10 years is a waste, and we'd ideally like to stay put for 20, as we start having kids.

Just curious on where others would live if they were in their 20s trying to figure the spot in Phoenix for the next 30 years. Should I be planning on the job I have now, or the jobs I might have in the future?

Note... my situation is a bit more complex because of the requirement that whatever house/property I get, there needs to be room to have my parents move in 3 to 5 years from now. Easy peasy in Glendale when you can get plenty of land for a future guest house, or a huge house in our budget ($450k, maybe $500k). Very difficult to find in Tempe, Scottsdale, or Central Phoenix. Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa are very not central themselves and would be giving myself a 1 hour+ commute to the job I have in my hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 12:42 PM

2,276 posts, read 3,078,730 times
Since you mention you don't want to have to move again for 20 years, it seems to me to make the most sense to be where it will be best for your future career and where your future kids will have the best experience growing up (better schools). Something a little more centralized is going to be your best bet, and someplace with access to a plethora of engineering jobs within a reasonable commute. The East Valley is going to be your best bet on all of those counts, as it has by far the most employment centers and the highest concentration of engineering jobs. That not likely to change anytime in the next 20 years. I think with your budget you won't have much of a problem finding something of a decent size that will meet your needs. I think South Tempe would be an ideal option for you (there are plenty of larger homes/lots south of Elliot and north of Ray Rd). West Chandler would also be good, maybe even the parts of Ahwatukee closer to the I-10. South Scottsdale also wouldn't be a bad choice although a bit less affordable. Those areas all going to have decent schools and you should be able to find something within your budget (larger home and/or lot) that will fulfill all your needs, won't be an absolutely horrible commute for now, and will set you up to be within a reasonable distance to future opportunities.

Here's a search boundary in my recommended area for homes between $350-500k of at least 2,400 square feet with at least 4 bedrooms on at least a 1/4 acre lot:

Single Family Homes For Sale - 69 Homes | Zillow

Last edited by ShampooBanana; 12-01-2016 at 01:06 PM..

Old 12-01-2016, 01:31 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,192,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbwing View Post
Just curious on where others would live if they were in their 20s trying to figure the spot in Phoenix for the next 30 years. Should I be planning on the job I have now, or the jobs I might have in the future?
The part in bold is a MAJOR red flag, at least to me. When I was in my early 20s, Phoenix would've been great because of where I was mentally, emotionally and psychologically at that age. Now in my mid-30s my needs, wants and tastes have changed dramatically as I've gone through experiences and have much more definition in my personality. Moral of the story: what works for you now may not by your 40s, and you don't need to fixate on buying something now that you intend to live in for 30+ years.

While it's a good idea to live somewhat close to work, especially in a place that sprawls as much as Phoenix and with traffic that will only worsen in time, it's likely that by the 2040s the neighborhood you choose will be different. Think of the 1970s versions of Times Square in New York and the Castro in San Francisco: the former was a dangerous red-light district, the latter working class conservatives... neither of which held up by 2016. More locally, I believe Maryvale was decent in the 1970s and it has become nasty today. Likewise, I understand that downtown Phoenix was much more affordable in recent history and has become less so as it evolves. You have to assume that where those jobs are now won't be the case in a few decades. They may relocate within the area, may leave the state altogether, or a greater concentration of new companies may pop up elsewhere in town. I live in Central Phoenix and being out and about I've seen more high-density residential developments popping up, which means the demand for a central location is there. It's entirely possible businesses may follow population trends and start moving to more central locations.

Personally, I think you should consider other factors as well, including what you like to do outside of work and what you want in a neighborhood and house. I would also encourage you to be rational about this, because the Phoenix you left isn't the same one you'd return to (hence in part why people encourage you to rent first). I know someone who attended ASU and "loved" it here, moved back east and hated it there, then moved back here in an attempt to reclaim. Now he's looking into relocating back east because he realized it's just not quite as he remembered it.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:37 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Interesting dilemma, I'd probably move to midtown Phoenix based on school districts in a home with some character. I live around North-Central and I can get to Tempe/Chandler/Mesa/Scottsdale within 1/2hr most of the time and as you point out, those are where the jobs are.

Normally I'd just recommend you to Tempe, but you work in Glendale, so for now that's a bit of a hinderance.

While the West Valley is growing and perhaps "up and coming" most of the jobs going in that direction are related to growth, services, distribution, and transportation. The higher end stuff still goes in the East Valley for simple reasons, access to college grads from ASU and higher desirability areas of the city. The West does have cheaper homes, but as of now and into the future, I don't see how it would really compete with the East Valley without GCU making some serious strides and denser populations to attract better amenities (as everything is so spread out that way). And even that part is debatable.

Another factor, often overlooked, is that SRP serves a larger chunk of the East Valley which is a cheaper utility, in general, then private water and APS.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:00 PM

640 posts, read 957,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbwing View Post
How do you pick where to live in the Valley, when future jobs might be in far flung corners? That's the dilemma I'm trying to answer right now. I just moved back to the Valley, where I grew up, with a new wife in tow and we are looking to set down long term roots (left better opportunities in Detroit, but wanted to be close to parents and everything I grew up with). But in trying to pick where to buy our house, one we would like to stay in for a long time, my wife and I are getting stressed.

I grew up in Glendale, my parents are in Glendale, and my current job is in Glendale (wife works from home for now), I like Glendale well enough. It should be an obvious choice, but it isn't. I know this job is likely just a pit stop. Almost all engineering jobs in the Valley are in Scottsdale, Tempe, Phoenix, Chandler, Gilbert. Often the deep Southeast, or East Valley. And who knows what the future holds? Maybe Glendale & Peoria someday start attracting white collar jobs and the Valley evens out a bit. Moving in less than 10 years is a waste, and we'd ideally like to stay put for 20, as we start having kids.

Note... my situation is a bit more complex because of the requirement that whatever house/property I get, there needs to be room to have my parents move in 3 to 5 years from now. Easy peasy in Glendale when you can get plenty of land for a future guest house, or a huge house in our budget ($450k, maybe $500k). Very difficult to find in Tempe, Scottsdale, or Central Phoenix. Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa are very not central themselves and would be giving myself a 1 hour+ commute to the job I have in my hand.
If I were in your situation, I would be very seriously considering renting and not even look at houses to buy. If you think your job is a "pit stop", you don't have any kids at the moment, just rent. In 3-5 years, when you think your parents will move in with you and you may have a kid or two, look for the right house at that point to serve your needs. I think it would be a huge mistake to go through the expense of buying a house now, only to regret it in 3-5 years when your situation is totally different.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:16 PM

939 posts, read 2,380,568 times
I would go east central metro area and find the best school districts. If you didn't have your parents to consider in the next three to five years, I would tell you to consider moving close to your job in Glendale and be done with it for the time being and move later. However, knowing that your parents will live with you, and that you plan to have children soon, I would try to find something that you could stay in long term. What you might consider, if you are looking in Scottsdale or Tempe, is finding a less expensive house that needs work that will accommodate your parents and children. You could fix it up over time, and as finances allow, since you don't have kids or parents living with you for a few years.

I don't currently live in Phoenix (husband born and raised there and we are retiring there/looking for home), however, we bought a small home in our late twenties and doubled the size of it in our late 30's. We bought for the area and the school district. We have been in our first home for 22 years.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:18 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
OP, you're over-thinking this. Ask some 50-year-olds if their lives turned out like they thought it would when they were your age. I've lived in five different states in my life. It's not that hard to move.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:33 AM

197 posts, read 271,336 times
The answer is quite simple.

Draw a north/south line down 7th Ave. And then live to the east of that, preferably a lot east of that.. Thank me later. East valley has the demand, amenities, jobs, less crime,better schools practically better everything.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:37 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
As others have said, you never know where your life is going to take you. Think about where you need to be NOW, and adjust as life changes. Moving isn't difficult. If it were me I would choose to live someplace close enough to work so time isn't wasted commuting. If your job moves, you can always move, too. Where you live now isn't/shouldn't be a permanent choice for the rest of your life.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:19 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
I'm trying to figure out how somebody in his 20's KNOWS his parents are moving in with him in 3-5 years. It's not like they will be that old that they need to be taken care of. Heck, most of our friends with truly elderly parents struggle because they can't get the parents to move out if their own homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area