Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2017, 10:55 PM

586 posts, read 540,975 times

Advertisements

Apologies, that should have read $300 per sq/ft. I hit the wrong number and I didn't notice. Anyway you won't be finding many houses in Verrado at $100, most are closer to $140 per sq/ft. It's cheaper over here but that's OK if you prefer the Scottsdale surcharge, some of us don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Lol, one bad listing? You mean one dirt cheap house that no one wants to buy. There are plenty of others just like it. Maybe your currency converter is broken because there's nothing there even close to $500/ft. $500/ft will get you into the valley's best locations. No one with half a brain is going to pay that to live in Buckeye, AZ. Look, I'm sure it's a fine place for those that just need the basics to get by, but judging by the real estate prices, it seems to be a tough sell for most.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 11:10 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
Apologies, that should have read $300 per sq/ft. I hit the wrong number and I didn't notice. Anyway you won't be finding many houses in Verrado at $100, most are closer to $140 per sq/ft. It's cheaper over here but that's OK if you prefer the Scottsdale surcharge, some of us don't.
You took objection to the place being labeled as cheap but failed to prove otherwise. It is cheap. $100 per sq ft is cheap by any standards and there are plenty of options listed close to that. You're arguing against facts. Your "Scottsdale surcharge" comment has no relevance either and you're comparing apples to oranges. What about the Chandler/Tempe/Gilbert/anywhere else surcharge? Just about anywhere else is more costly, sought after as well. Verrado seems like an experiment gone wrong. If Basha's ever bails, it will resemble the town from The Walking Dead.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:22 PM

Search Verrado and tell me how many $100 per sq/ft listing you find, there are almost none. That is not the price of that Community. Look for yourself, you will see listing are almost always 30% higher than the single example that you posted. I can find homes in almost every City in the Valley for similar per sq/ft prices as Verrado, but isn't a cheap Community.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:27 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,366,209 times
This is like arguing over whether a new Chevy Sonic costs 15 grand or 20 grand. Both may be correct depending on options, color, etc., but regardless of whether it's 15 grand, 20 grand, or somewhere in between, it is still a lot cheaper than most new cars. This is not a criticism, but just a statement of fact. Verrado is relatively inexpensive whether it's 140 per square foot or not, is my point.

Bates, you state paying a location premium is not your cup of tea, but then you argue that Verrado prices are not low and are comparable to other cities in the Valley. It is most certainly at a premium relative to surrounding Buckeye, so is that not paying a location premium as well?

Also, according to one website, the average price per square foot for 2016 in Verrado was $122. LINK

Using the same site for consistency, here's some other cities:
Tolleson $98
Buckeye $104
El Mirage $108
Avondale $109
Surprise $119
Glendale $122
Goodyear $129
Queen Creek $129
Mesa $132
Peoria $133
Gilbert $141
Phoenix $142
Chandler $150
Cave Creek $184
Scottsdale $210
Carefree $219
Paradise Valley $290

Last edited by ScottsdaleMark; 02-14-2017 at 06:39 AM.. Reason: <<Edited to add my data chart>>

Old 02-14-2017, 08:11 AM

My argument is not that Verrado is not more economical than surrounding, it's that's the previous post of houses being $100 a sq/ft is not really what houses sell for there. And it isn't the "middle of nowhere". As for the surcharge if you found a same house from same builder sort of thing the price difference would not be almost twice as much like you would see from say Verrado to Scottsdale. That is a major difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
This is like arguing over whether a new Chevy Sonic costs 15 grand or 20 grand. Both may be correct depending on options, color, etc., but regardless of whether it's 15 grand, 20 grand, or somewhere in between, it is still a lot cheaper than most new cars. This is not a criticism, but just a statement of fact. Verrado is relatively inexpensive whether it's 140 per square foot or not, is my point.

Bates, you state paying a location premium is not your cup of tea, but then you argue that Verrado prices are not low and are comparable to other cities in the Valley. It is most certainly at a premium relative to surrounding Buckeye, so is that not paying a location premium as well?

Also, according to one website, the average price per square foot for 2016 in Verrado was $122. LINK

Using the same site for consistency, here's some other cities:
Tolleson $98
Buckeye $104
El Mirage $108
Avondale $109
Surprise $119
Glendale $122
Goodyear $129
Queen Creek $129
Mesa $132
Peoria $133
Gilbert $141
Phoenix $142
Chandler $150
Cave Creek $184
Scottsdale $210
Carefree $219
Paradise Valley $290

Old 02-14-2017, 08:23 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
When you consider that verrado typically has smaller lots and a higher HOA fee the cost is pretty much on par or slightly higher than its neighbors

However, all of that is really picking nits.

There is a ton of new build activity going on out there and it's rebounding nicely since the crash. The schools are good and the community has a different kind of feel. There are parks and kids everywhere. It's a nice family community where neighbors are looking to interact.

You can access most of what you need in town, although the hours on Bashas and especially CVS leave a bit to be desired.

10 minutes will put you at the main stores in Buckeye or Goodyear as well.

I'm out there a lot and would consider it if it were a little closer to my work and the lots were a bit larger.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:36 AM

2 posts, read 3,570 times
Thank you all for the info We have looked around and we like the feel of Verrado, however we have heard that the water bills are high because it is from a different company. Also, the sewer and trash. If anyone knows of the average cost of the electric, water, gas, sewer, etc. that would be great info. We have an HOA in california right now and they have some ridiculous rules...for example, we cannot have our garage door open for more than 3 hours a day. I was wondering if there are similair regulations.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:09 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey.m View Post
Thank you all for the info We have looked around and we like the feel of Verrado, however we have heard that the water bills are high because it is from a different company. Also, the sewer and trash. If anyone knows of the average cost of the electric, water, gas, sewer, etc. that would be great info. We have an HOA in california right now and they have some ridiculous rules...for example, we cannot have our garage door open for more than 3 hours a day. I was wondering if there are similair regulations.

Every HOA has different rules. You should be able to get info on the Verrado ones here: http://verrado.com/life-verrado/community-governance/

Old 02-15-2017, 06:29 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,154,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
You took objection to the place being labeled as cheap but failed to prove otherwise. It is cheap. $100 per sq ft is cheap by any standards and there are plenty of options listed close to that. You're arguing against facts. Your "Scottsdale surcharge" comment has no relevance either and you're comparing apples to oranges. What about the Chandler/Tempe/Gilbert/anywhere else surcharge? Just about anywhere else is more costly, sought after as well. Verrado seems like an experiment gone wrong. If Basha's ever bails, it will resemble the town from The Walking Dead.
I personally think Verrado is too far out for me. What most people never discuss is that in order to get out of the development (and if you are close to the best parts on the foothills), it can literally take 10 minutes plus to get to interstate 10. That's 20 minutes round trip just to get to the highway. So no, it's not necessarily a small hop to Goodyear. It takes a bit longer than that for many people in the neighborhood. Too many people round down how close they are to things. The closer people are to the 10 inside of Verrado, the flatter and less special the "feel" is. To my eyes anyways...

But I need to ask. Have you ever been to Verrado? As in, have you driven through the development? No one is looking for your google earth opinions; people come to this site for actual, personal experience. I've concluded that you really guess all too often specifically on the west side of town.

Re: "experiment gone bad"... Did you know that DMB (https://dmbinc.com/legacy-property-dc-ranch/ ) is involved in DC Ranch, Marley Park, and Verrado? They have ultra-deep pockets. Two of the owners are billionaires. One is large beneficiary to the of Campbell's soup fortune (whose sister, Mary Alice Dorrance Malone, is worth $4.2 Billion). Another one of the three partners is a descendant of the Masterlock family.

Minus the massive recession, for the past few years, they have been developing like mad! As in at least a couple dozen models with multiple builders and hundreds of homes sold. Also, their is an adjacent golf course called "Verrado Golf Club" is gated with incredible homes (Upper caliber DC Ranch type homes). Then there is a new 55+ development started in 2014 in Verrado that is extremely nice called "Victory". It too has it's brand new golf course. Again, housing starts are booming. And the clubhouse is to die for situated on some amazing lots.

Re: Bashes. No, they are not leaving. In fact, like Marley Park, DMB subsidized the anchor for X amount of years until there were enough homes to support it. After X amount of homes are sold, they slowly drop the subsidy. I was told by the Surprise manager that they both are making a profit with their captive audience. So there isn't a concern of "resemble the town from The Walking Dead". It's analogous to the Main Street concept inside of DC Ranch. Have you seen Main Street in DC Ranch? I have; same concept.

So we are clear, the entire Valley is cheap. As I have posted before, The hood of the hoods (Compton) where 41% of >25 year olds dropped out of high school, is more expensive than Scottsdale (cost per square foot) https://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Compton-California/ .For that matter, nationally, the average cost per square foot is $130 (see United States Home Prices & Home Values | Zillow ). So Verrado isn't "cheap" but rather, average. The entire feel of this master planned community is at least to my eyes, exceptional. See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjmIaZl2NQY . I predict that this NEIGHBORHOOD is a whole lot nicer "feel" than 80% of Scottsdale. So it's why people are going that far out to get a piece of paradise.

If I move to Scottsdale, I'd be staring at DC Ranch. But it too has its trade-offs including the $400 HOA fee. To my eye (more expensive or not), most Scottsdale hoods are filled with a bunch of 1990's era tract homes with 30 shades of tans. I've been staring at moving to Scottsdale and have been looking at plenty of neighborhoods. Of course, there are several that are amazing. But the bulk of them are filled with 2000-2500 square footers hover around $200 a square foot and have dated interiors, generic backyards, and absolutely nothing special about them neighborhoods. So for $400K-$500K, you pretty much get a so-so caliber home. At least in Verrado, the master planned community is well thought out and every single floor plan will kill that 1990 floor plan specifically discussing those $400K cookie cutter Scottsdale era homes. For me, no thank you.

Again, Verrado isn't for everyone including me. If there was the same amount of restaurants and shops around Verrado as their is in my area, I would have bought in Verrado. I do see the appeal of Scottsdale. I really see the appeal in the nicest neighborhoods. But I also see the master planned appeal of Verrado. Evidently, so do a lot of others willing to take the trade-offs of living that far out when they could be closer in for about the same cost per square foot as Goodyear, Gilbert, etc).

Old 02-15-2017, 07:34 AM

Your point stands on the travel distance but for real reference it's roughly 7 minutes from furthest reach of Verrado to the I-10 and about 15 minutes to Estrella Falls from same location whether you use the I-10 or Indian School road. That area has most everyday shopping and a few restaurant options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I personally think Verrado is too far out for me. What most people never discuss is that in order to get out of the development (and if you are close to the best parts on the foothills), it can literally take 10 minutes plus to get to interstate 10. That's 20 minutes round trip just to get to the highway. So no, it's not necessarily a small hop to Goodyear. It takes a bit longer than that for many people in the neighborhood. Too many people round down how close they are to things. The closer people are to the 10 inside of Verrado, the flatter and less special the "feel" is. To my eyes anyways...

But I need to ask. Have you ever been to Verrado? As in, have you driven through the development? No one is looking for your google earth opinions; people come to this site for actual, personal experience. I've concluded that you really guess all too often specifically on the west side of town.

Re: "experiment gone bad"... Did you know that DMB (https://dmbinc.com/legacy-property-dc-ranch/ ) is involved in DC Ranch, Marley Park, and Verrado? They have ultra-deep pockets. Two of the owners are billionaires. One is large beneficiary to the of Campbell's soup fortune (whose sister, Mary Alice Dorrance Malone, is worth $4.2 Billion). Another one of the three partners is a descendant of the Masterlock family.

Minus the massive recession, for the past few years, they have been developing like mad! As in at least a couple dozen models with multiple builders and hundreds of homes sold. Also, their is an adjacent golf course called "Verrado Golf Club" is gated with incredible homes (Upper caliber DC Ranch type homes). Then there is a new 55+ development started in 2014 in Verrado that is extremely nice called "Victory". It too has it's brand new golf course. Again, housing starts are booming. And the clubhouse is to die for situated on some amazing lots.

Re: Bashes. No, they are not leaving. In fact, like Marley Park, DMB subsidized the anchor for X amount of years until there were enough homes to support it. After X amount of homes are sold, they slowly drop the subsidy. I was told by the Surprise manager that they both are making a profit with their captive audience. So there isn't a concern of "resemble the town from The Walking Dead". It's analogous to the Main Street concept inside of DC Ranch. Have you seen Main Street in DC Ranch? I have; same concept.

So we are clear, the entire Valley is cheap. As I have posted before, The hood of the hoods (Compton) where 41% of >25 year olds dropped out of high school, is more expensive than Scottsdale (cost per square foot) https://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Compton-California/ .For that matter, nationally, the average cost per square foot is $130 (see United States Home Prices & Home Values | Zillow ). So Verrado isn't "cheap" but rather, average. The entire feel of this master planned community is at least to my eyes, exceptional. See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjmIaZl2NQY . I predict that this NEIGHBORHOOD is a whole lot nicer "feel" than 80% of Scottsdale. So it's why people are going that far out to get a piece of paradise.

If I move to Scottsdale, I'd be staring at DC Ranch. But it too has its trade-offs including the $400 HOA fee. To my eye (more expensive or not), most Scottsdale hoods are filled with a bunch of 1990's era tract homes with 30 shades of tans. I've been staring at moving to Scottsdale and have been looking at plenty of neighborhoods. Of course, there are several that are amazing. But the bulk of them are filled with 2000-2500 square footers hover around $200 a square foot and have dated interiors, generic backyards, and absolutely nothing special about them neighborhoods. So for $400K-$500K, you pretty much get a so-so caliber home. At least in Verrado, the master planned community is well thought out and every single floor plan will kill that 1990 floor plan specifically discussing those $400K cookie cutter Scottsdale era homes. For me, no thank you.

Again, Verrado isn't for everyone including me. If there was the same amount of restaurants and shops around Verrado as their is in my area, I would have bought in Verrado. I do see the appeal of Scottsdale. I really see the appeal in the nicest neighborhoods. But I also see the master planned appeal of Verrado. Evidently, so do a lot of others willing to take the trade-offs of living that far out when they could be closer in for about the same cost per square foot as Goodyear, Gilbert, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area