Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 07:07 PM

1,013 posts, read 977,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Compared to some parts of Detroit, yes. But really, just in general that is a very low cost house. What's your point though?
Why should we take real estate advice in Phoenix from someone in Detroit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 07:15 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Why should we take real estate advice in Phoenix from someone in Detroit?
I haven't offered any advice and I live in Scottsdale. Try to keep up.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:14 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
You will have difficulty buying in Verrado for that price. And if less than 30 minutes to downtown is "the middle of nowhere" I guess most of the Valley is also there.
Here is a link for homes that sold. Verrado, Buckeye, AZ Recently Sold Homes - realtor.com®

For larger homes and just like everywhere else, the cost per square foot is always lower. In Verrado, >3000 square footers around 10 years old generally sell for around $100 a square foot. About $120 a square foot for larger homes that are under a few years old. For smaller homes (2000 square foot and under), 10 year old homes sell for $125 a square foot. Newer homes that are smaller, sell for about $140 square foot. Of course, home options can make make a $20 a square foot swing in price. All in, the aggregate sale prices are about $125 a square foot.

As to how people define "cheap" is subjective. If they came from Manhattan, Boston, the Bay area, or southern CA, then Scottsdale seems "cheap" at 1/4 the price than those areas. But nationally, Verrado costs are "average" as compared to the entire country. But if you consider the caliber of the neighborhood (eye candy and feel), Verrado is incredibly "cheap" for what you get. Hence, that's why people want to live there. You get an awesome neighborhood feel that destroys 99% of the hoods around the country. But the trade-off is less than ideal shopping and restaurants. Some people would never ever consider that trade-off. For that matter, some people cannot tolerate the cold and snow. Others cannot stand the >100 degree temps. Others cannot not handle the thick humidity. It's all about picking your trade-offs. As I have said before, I live in my neighborhood/house over 22 hours a day. I mandate eye candy, home space, and a neighborhood "feel". Hence, I will have different priorities than someone who drives to work everyday and leaves the home over 10 hours during their waking hours. But for some reason, people on this forum assume their trade-offs should be applied to everyone else. So comments like "living in the middle nowhere" are condescending. As if they are the smart ones without trying to understand what others are willing to accept for their trade-offs.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 02-18-2017 at 06:25 AM..

Old 02-18-2017, 06:26 PM

1,013 posts, read 977,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I haven't offered any advice and I live in Scottsdale. Try to keep up.
Assumed from your name you'd want to be in Detroit

Old 02-18-2017, 06:44 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Assumed from your name you'd want to be in Detroit
Since people never move from their hometown.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:46 AM

44 posts, read 70,339 times
The #1 glaring argument is the whole distance thing. I get it, it's 10 minutes driving to get to the store besides the one on Main St. Many people who live in city suburbs can't picture living rural/semi-rural suburbs. The same can be said when a decade ago the whole West Valley had no place on the map (Surprise/Goodyear). A lot has changed then, and a lot will change in the future. I can say without duress that there will be continuous development on this side of town. They've already broke ground several months ago on a strip mall located at Indian School Rd/Jackrabbit where Fry's will anchor. Yes, this sounds very typical of West Valley. But these anchoring stores drive further development, which means more convenience. There is land right off i-10 where Corner Store and Culver's have established that is designated for commercial use. I have not read much into it, but it seems development is underway by the looks of construction. Whatever's going up is going to happen, unlike the unfinished parkway lot on the other side.

It's very easy to judge a book by its cover, but what really lies ahead for this community is something that requires current and future residents a lot of enthusiasm in planning and development, as well as good schools and really safe neighborhoods, and lots of patience. Some may already like it as it is and that's great. Whether further development is their cup of tea is up to them.

I really have not seen a community like this in the Valley. The other two are mentioned so I will take a look, but following this community through the years have by far surpassed my expectations. It's truly a one-of-a-kind small town feel community with the extra benefit of conveniences not too far away. Estrella Falls is a close comparison, except they are really out there (and they are doing very well). Verrado isn't going to turn into a ghost town, it's everything else and more.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:49 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychedelicbeats View Post
I really have not seen a community like this in the Valley. The other two are mentioned so I will take a look, but following this community through the years have by far surpassed my expectations. It's truly a one-of-a-kind small town feel community with the extra benefit of conveniences not too far away. Estrella Falls is a close comparison, except they are really out there (and they are doing very well). Verrado isn't going to turn into a ghost town, it's everything else and more.
Our eyes agree. You should be staring at all of the Master Planned communities in your budget. I really like Power Ranch in Gilbert too. But a warning (depending on your beliefs). I would be living in Power Ranch now until I saw a Mormon church specifically designed inside of the master planned development (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 4170 S Ranch House Pkwy). I'm agnostic and wasn't looking to be judged by "believers" of a homegrown American religion.

Also look at Vistancia too. Less of a small community feel but very well thought out.

As you pointed out, infrastructure will come so long as we stay out of a massive slowdown. Once I hit 55 in a few years, I will consider Victory at Verrado - Verrado . They have the best views in the development. But more stores need to arrive. And I am sure they will.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:48 AM

44 posts, read 70,339 times
The White Tank Mountains are truly a unique backdrop in Verrado, especially in the Victory neighborhood. If anyone ever has the opportunity, I highly recommend taking a trip to Skyline Regional Park @ The White Tank Mountains. It's free, and there are ramadas so pack a lunch for before/after the hike. While not directly accessed through Verrado (I checked), it's a short drive away off the Watson exit. You won't be able to take a glimpse at the park in google maps, but you won't be disappointed once you arrive. Most trails are moderate to hard, but is amazing.

Not all things gravitate towards the east. This park proves it and is a hidden gem of the West Valley. It's doors opened in 2015 and is moderately trafficked. It's certainly no abandoned park/ghost town. I made the westward trip there and it's worth every moment.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:53 AM

114 posts, read 334,513 times
Many of these master planned communities appeal to folks with different goals than the comments here.
Buying into an area with strict HOA and lots of amenities will be very desirable for those that are not commuting a long distance each morning. Do not have to worry about old cars parked in the middle of front yards or a neighbor who may not want to have any plants.

They often support an instant feel of friends and community thru multiple clubs, golf, pools ,fitness etc.
We lived in one before and loved it. Think retirees or those that work from home at least part of the time. Have not been to Verrado but may check it out, the web site looks promising.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:21 AM

394 posts, read 343,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJD View Post
Hope you have a job close by , because it's in the middle of nowhere and not a desirable location at all. It's cheap for a reason. Nice community for a retiree.
Ridiculous.

I keep reading stuff like this and it makes me wonder what experience people have...

I live close to Verrado and work near 10/17... I moved from SoCal and travel time is similar (except I now live twice as far)...

Anyone that thinks you must live 15 minutes from work is too willing to sacrifice quality if life in order to save 15 minutes in a vehicle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area