Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 08:36 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,924,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
That's quite normal, actually. Once every year or two, Chicago would be warmer than PHX just for a day here and there, and the in-laws in AZ would chuckle. It seems like whenever AZ gets cold, the rest of the country gets warm.
yep, the key words a day or 2 here and there..today is now day 4 in a row where it will be 65-72 degrees, with 3 or 4 more in a row coming...something is definitely bizarre about this current "streak", but hey, no complaints here, and I am going to wear shorts today!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Gotta see if my Kevlar vest will fit in the overhead baggage first!
good one; just remember, you need a special permit to have that Glock in your pocket when you get here, so beware...

Old 02-20-2017, 09:07 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,741,532 times
Quote:

No. No its not. No amount of little grass along the trail can turn it into a lush, water-rich, forested environment. I know you're joking (I hope?), but...

It could never look like the Midwest.
https://philipschwarzphotography.fil...5-10-_2449.gif
I'll try to upload a picture I took hiking this weekend but it's not my thing, I do think you'd be surprised how much grass is growing along the trail.

But yeah, I think AZ does fine in the forest category. Well, it works fine for me at least, I can get my fix of forested beauty without all the pitfalls that come with a Midwest living location.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...7e201ea16b.jpg

Old 02-20-2017, 09:25 AM

nice picture! where and when was that taken?
thanks

Old 02-20-2017, 09:40 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,304,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I'll try to upload a picture I took hiking this weekend but it's not my thing, I do think you'd be surprised how much grass is growing along the trail.

But yeah, I think AZ does fine in the forest category. Well, it works fine for me at least, I can get my fix of forested beauty without all the pitfalls that come with a Midwest living location.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...7e201ea16b.jpg
So much grass, in some cases, you can't SEE the trail! I had that problem recently, I was way off the trail a couple of times and didn't realize it because it was lost in the grass

Old 02-20-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
That's a bold claim. Aside from mountain climbing (which there is still some to do in areas), the Midwest offers more outdoorsy stuff than AZ. Fishing? More. Hunting. More. Boating? More. Swimming? More. Beaches? More. Skiing? More. Snowmobiling? More. Sports? More (due to changing seasons/sports). Biking? More (although not as diverse as AZ).

I think the only outdoorsy things AZ can say it wins at is mountain climbing/rock climbing and perhaps offroading (although that can be debatable).

And FYI, I wasn't saying you couldn't hold an opinion of Chicago. Im just saying that every time someone mentions Chicago, you have to badmouth it or chime in about how you would never live there. PHX and CHI are what I call "sister cities". There are so many ties between the two that theyre almost inseparable. From the Cards down to Frank Lloyd Wright, there are many, many people and things that tie the cities together. Be glad, not sad.
It's not just mountain climbing and I'm not even sure what that is? But I'm talking about hiking, mountain biking, trail running, road biking, kayaking, rock climbing, canyoneering, dirt biking, 4x4 riding, shooting ranges, white water rafting, enjoying water sports for a much longer portion of the year. Almost all of that can happen within a few miles of home or work, except for the white water rafting part.

And it's not just more, quality counts big time. Having more beaches that are too cold to use for 8 months out of the year is not helpful. Having more ski resorts that under 500' of vertical, also not useful. Arizona definitely has better skiing then Illinois.

We have no shortage of boating opportunities in pretty amazing locations. We have no shortage of fishing opportunities at the 6 massive lakes around the valley and endless urban fishing spots all over the valley. I can fish at lunch of I wanted to.

I don't personally hunt or fish though, I have fished before but found it really boring.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
So much grass, in some cases, you can't SEE the trail! I had that problem recently, I was way off the trail a couple of times and didn't realize it because it was lost in the grass
Yes, it's been a while since I've seen the trails this green.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:13 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,972,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
It's not just mountain climbing and I'm not even sure what that is? But I'm talking about hiking, mountain biking, trail running, road biking, kayaking, rock climbing, canyoneering, dirt biking, 4x4 riding, shooting ranges, white water rafting, enjoying water sports for a much longer portion of the year. Almost all of that can happen within a few miles of home or work, except for the white water rafting part.

And it's not just more, quality counts big time. Having more beaches that are too cold to use for 8 months out of the year is not helpful. Having more ski resorts that under 500' of vertical, also not useful. Arizona definitely has better skiing then Illinois.

We have no shortage of boating opportunities in pretty amazing locations. We have no shortage of fishing opportunities at the 6 massive lakes around the valley and endless urban fishing spots all over the valley. I can fish at lunch of I wanted to.

I don't personally hunt or fish though, I have fished before but found it really boring.
Hiking I acknowledged is better in AZ, and one of the main reasons I moved here.

Mountain biking is good here, too. I would never deny that. But it seems you have to get up to places like Sedona to really get the wicked trails. Trails here in PHX are pretty sweet, but nothing to write home about. But trail running here can be a pain (unless you like twisted ankles on the rocks), as is road biking because of the idiot drivers, and constant hazards (ie goatheads). Never once got a flat in IL, here Ive had 4. Kayaking? Better in the Midwest, IMO. Far more rivers and streams to enjoy, and much better access to them. Dirt biking? Depends on the terrain and what you prefer. If you like mud and forested trails as I did, AZ's dirtbiking might not be for every body. Too much exposure, too many rocks, and too much dust. Plus having to wear a Camelback is rather inconvenient. Water sports in AZ are also a 4 month window. After October the water here is absolutely frigid. Heck, Ive even swam in Lake Pleasant in August and it was borderline too cold. I don't see a difference. One thing's for sure, I cant walk or drive less than a mile to go fish in a river (that's a joke) a pond, or a lake like I could in Chicagoland, so I do miss that very much. Being able to walk less than a mile to the DuPage River was a blessing I miss sorely. Pulling 35-40lb grass carp out of there was something all fisherman should experience in their lifetime.

Yes, AZ does have better skiing quality-wise, I wouldn't deny that. But for those of us who like a short drive to a ski hill that isn't too intimidating, the Midwest is preferable. I sucked at skiing, rarely doing anything crazier than the Intermediate slopes, so places like Devils Head, Chestnut Mountain, etc, were absolutely perfect for me, and an absolute blast (even in the summer with the Alpine Slide).

Lakes here are cool, I enjoy Lake Pleasant and Saguaro Lake as much as the next guy, but our lakes are too few and far between, and rather inconvenient to anyone who wants to do something other than boating. Fishing from the shores here is nothing like the Midwest, so there's that.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Hiking I acknowledged is better in AZ, and one of the main reasons I moved here.

Mountain biking is good here, too. I would never deny that. But it seems you have to get up to places like Sedona to really get the wicked trails. Trails here in PHX are pretty sweet, but nothing to write home about. But trail running here can be a pain (unless you like twisted ankles on the rocks), as is road biking because of the idiot drivers, and constant hazards (ie goatheads). Never once got a flat in IL, here Ive had 4. Kayaking? Better in the Midwest, IMO. Far more rivers and streams to enjoy, and much better access to them. Dirt biking? Depends on the terrain and what you prefer. If you like mud and forested trails as I did, AZ's dirtbiking might not be for every body. Too much exposure, too many rocks, and too much dust. Plus having to wear a Camelback is rather inconvenient. Water sports in AZ are also a 4 month window. After October the water here is absolutely frigid. Heck, Ive even swam in Lake Pleasant in August and it was borderline too cold. I don't see a difference. One thing's for sure, I cant walk or drive less than a mile to go fish in a river (that's a joke) a pond, or a lake like I could in Chicagoland, so I do miss that very much. Being able to walk less than a mile to the DuPage River was a blessing I miss sorely. Pulling 35-40lb grass carp out of there was something all fisherman should experience in their lifetime.

Yes, AZ does have better skiing quality-wise, I wouldn't deny that. But for those of us who like a short drive to a ski hill that isn't too intimidating, the Midwest is preferable. I sucked at skiing, rarely doing anything crazier than the Intermediate slopes, so places like Devils Head, Chestnut Mountain, etc, were absolutely perfect for me, and an absolute blast (even in the summer with the Alpine Slide).

Lakes here are cool, I enjoy Lake Pleasant and Saguaro Lake as much as the next guy, but our lakes are too few and far between, and rather inconvenient to anyone who wants to do something other than boating. Fishing from the shores here is nothing like the Midwest, so there's that.
I've never given a person a tour that said Phoenix mtb trails were anything short of amazing and I've taken dozens of people out. I have groups of people who come out here every year from New England, Colorado, Texas and all over the Midwest that would kill to live here versus what they have locally. And countless mtb friends have moved here because of our trails. Sedona stuff is really great, I love Hogs, Hangover and Hiline along with countless others, I've been riding those trails since they were rogue and illegal... But Phoenix trails are much more challenging and we've got bigger climbing here, Sedona has climbing and it's higher elevation but you aren't going to be able to crank out a 6,000'+ ride like you can on the McDowells, even if you do the triple H ride up there it's nowhere near the challenge you'll get around here. It's pretty clear you and me are wired much different then each other. Here is all you need to know about Phoenix mountain biking.
https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...rth-america/3/

I also get the impression that you're painting IL in a rosier picture then reality, maybe because you've been away for so long? Neither Devils Head or Chestnut Mountain are closer to downtown Chicago then Flagstaff is to Phoenix, they're both 3+ hours. And if you don't want to go on the big hill at snow bowl then take the bunny hill lifts, you can almost always find easier terrain at any mountain, the problem is finding the steep challenging stuff when you're in a place like IL.

If living within a 5 minute walk of a river was a priority in my life I'd head to the Northwest. The terrain around Chicago just doesn't do anything for me, there's nothing majestic or awe inspiring about grasslands and small hills to me. I prefer more dramatic changes in elevation with sharp edgy mountains piercing the sky.

But I really find Arizona has the perfect mix for me, I can hike after work, I have access to what rank as some of the most amazing waterfalls on earth, skiing is close enough for a day trip, I'm surrounded by mountains with all kind of hidden gems that roar to life at different times of the year, I can capture amazing views of the night sky, I can camp in a forest on a lake on a mountain or at the bottom of the grand canyon if I prefer, there's a nearly endless list of amazing canyons/ranges/valleys to go see, and the weather rarely gets in my way.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:38 PM

reading all these great things make we want to move out there tomorrow..
not that chicagoland isnt nice as well, but, I've been here 40+ years, and the political/economic/violence climate, along with the ACTUAL climate is forcing us to move..might as well be Arizona, with all the beautiful things you guys keep pointing out!
I wish I could wiggle my nose and be out there tomorrow..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area