Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 08:47 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,937,575 times

Advertisements

I'll probably get flamed for this, and I know I deserve it, but this is historical..

First of all, it hasn't snowed in Chicago in over TWO MONTHS; as of Feb 17th..
AND, its going to be between 55 and 70 degrees here for the next 6-10 days!!! In the middle of February!

Never in the history of weather keeping has this ever occurred here, so I thought the ex Chicagoans, whom I will be included in withing the next 3-6 months, would like to see this here..

I am thinking the big man in the sky is giving this going away present to me, to ensure that I get out of Chicago this year!

Global warming, maybe, but even so, this is historic and mind boggling to anyone who either lives in Chicago, or moved to AZ to get away from the many weather/financial/violence trappings of the area..

flame suit is on, so have at me, but know that I will be wearing shorts and a tee shirt this week, just like my soon to be brethren in Arizona!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 09:05 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,100,221 times
One of the reasons we moved here in 2001 from the Chicago area was because it snowed there in April ! So, you never know.

Welcome to AZ and enjoy Portillos and Malnatis right here !

Old 02-17-2017, 09:16 AM

thanks Barb, I know it can snow in May here, but, im enjoying having some windows open at 10 am in february here already!
Hopefully, I can find good Chinese take out there along with pizza and hot dogs!

Old 02-17-2017, 09:30 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,336,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
One of the reasons we moved here in 2001 from the Chicago area was because it snowed there in April ! So, you never know.

Welcome to AZ and enjoy Portillos and Malnatis right here !
My last spring in Iowa it snowed fairly heavy at the end of March, was cold all of April, and snowed on May 4th. I was already on the path to moving later that year but that just solidified it!

I love that February is spring here. It was my most hated month before but now I look forward to it.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:43 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,992,108 times
Sounds like a typical Chicago winter scenario... warmer and mild one winter, cold and horrible the next. You never know what you're gonna get. And snow in April? I recall that rarely happening, and nothing ever accumulated, the ground was too warm/wet. But here in AZ we treat Spring like you guys treat Fall. We enjoy it, but know that the crappy weather is coming right around the corner and it kind of dampens the spirit. I know soon it will be 200 degrees in my car, the mosquitos will be back, the flooding will come, the searing hit will return, the monsoonal humidity will arrive, the giant Palo Verde beetles will plague our dusk skies, and the afternoon outdoor activities will cease. The only difference is that our crap weather is in summer and yours is in winter. Plus we're looking at a rainy, windy weekend, with potential flooding problems.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:04 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,336,824 times
Not everyone sees Spring that way. I see it as one step closer to pool season, sundress season, bikini season, and flip flop season. :: To me spring here is just as joyous as spring in the Midwest as summer is approaching, and fall is still slightly depressing (though not as bad) as pool weather fades and the sun dips lower in the southern sky just like up north. I'm tired of being indoors this winter as we have had a lot of dreary, rainy days. I'm ready for the sun to be back out full force so I can get out and enjoy it.

Please don't include everyone in exaggerations about feelings for the summer. I know that there are some on this very board that share my opinion! Not everyone hibernates in the summer. Please remember that! Thanks.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:10 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,759,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
I'll probably get flamed for this, and I know I deserve it, but this is historical..

First of all, it hasn't snowed in Chicago in over TWO MONTHS; as of Feb 17th..
AND, its going to be between 55 and 70 degrees here for the next 6-10 days!!! In the middle of February!

Never in the history of weather keeping has this ever occurred here, so I thought the ex Chicagoans, whom I will be included in withing the next 3-6 months, would like to see this here..

I am thinking the big man in the sky is giving this going away present to me, to ensure that I get out of Chicago this year!

Global warming, maybe, but even so, this is historic and mind boggling to anyone who either lives in Chicago, or moved to AZ to get away from the many weather/financial/violence trappings of the area..

flame suit is on, so have at me, but know that I will be wearing shorts and a tee shirt this week, just like my soon to be brethren in Arizona!
Even if you told me Chicago would never have a snowy cold winter again it wouldn't make me want to live there over Phoenix. A lot of people come here for the weather but it's a lot more then that for many of us.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Sounds like a typical Chicago winter scenario... warmer and mild one winter, cold and horrible the next. You never know what you're gonna get. And snow in April? I recall that rarely happening, and nothing ever accumulated, the ground was too warm/wet. But here in AZ we treat Spring like you guys treat Fall. We enjoy it, but know that the crappy weather is coming right around the corner and it kind of dampens the spirit. I know soon it will be 200 degrees in my car, the mosquitos will be back, the flooding will come, the searing hit will return, the monsoonal humidity will arrive, the giant Palo Verde beetles will plague our dusk skies, and the afternoon outdoor activities will cease. The only difference is that our crap weather is in summer and yours is in winter. Plus we're looking at a rainy, windy weekend, with potential flooding problems.

I thought you would get a kick out of my post, BC, being a long time chicago area veteran..
I'm sure the first summer will be a big adjustment for me, but hopefully, over a 12 month period, the good out there will outweigh all the bad in chicago, which of course isnt just the weather at this point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Not everyone sees Spring that way. I see it as one step closer to pool season, sundress season, bikini season, and flip flop season. :: To me spring here is just as joyous as spring in the Midwest as summer is approaching, and fall is still slightly depressing (though not as bad) as pool weather fades and the sun dips lower in the southern sky just like up north. I'm tired of being indoors this winter as we have had a lot of dreary, rainy days. I'm ready for the sun to be back out full force so I can get out and enjoy it.

Please don't include everyone in exaggerations about feelings for the summer. I know that there are some on this very board that share my opinion! Not everyone hibernates in the summer. Please remember that! Thanks.
I hope I feel the same way Elle; we dont plan on hibernating in the summer either, and, I know it will take awhile to acclimate to the summer heat, but, you NEVER acclimate to 20 below zero, with winds of 40mph and 2 feet of snow, especially as you get older. For many years I loved the winter in Chicago, but, as a OLDER geezer, its harder and harder to tolerate. And, of course my wife, who like you, is/was always cold, she cant wait to give away all her down coats and thermal underwear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Even if you told me Chicago would never have a snowy cold winter again it wouldn't make me want to live there over Phoenix. A lot of people come here for the weather but it's a lot more then that for many of us.
Thats my feeling at this point too; I've traveled alot in my lifetime, and we took a long time deciding where we wanted to move to at this point of our lives; the Dallas area was always a close second, but in the end, the Phoenix metroplex won out; now if we could just decide between the chandler/gilbert area, and the peoria/glendale area!

Old 02-17-2017, 01:16 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,613,963 times
We've never, ever had to shovel sunshine in Phoenix. Flame back!

Old 02-17-2017, 03:21 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,992,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
We've never, ever had to shovel sunshine in Phoenix. Flame back!
For the love of mankind, fellow Phoenicians, PLEASE stop saying that! It makes us sound dumb. That's like a Minnesotan saying (during winter) "well, at least we don't have to deal with 116 degrees".

Every place (well, maybe spare San Diego) has undesirable weather at some point. Heck, even many might find San Diego's weather to not be ideal. Heres looking at you ElleTea. hahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area