Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 09:30 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,311,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
As far as the "stucco villages", I MUCH prefer them over the Midwest's "vinyl villages". UGH, those home areas are so ugly. And they look terrible after a few years, as the vinyl warps and falls off etc. Yeah, I much prefer the Southwest home architecture.
If the vinyl is falling off after just a few years (or warping) then it's defective and/or was installed incorrectly. Vinyl lasts MUCH longer than that. It can last decades, and if often warrantied for 20-40 years. It never needs painting, can you say that for stucco?

Stucco has its own set of maintenance issues. I actually lived in a stucco home in Iowa and know it is not maintenance free.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:23 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,480,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
If the vinyl is falling off after just a few years (or warping) then it's defective and/or was installed incorrectly. Vinyl lasts MUCH longer than that. It can last decades, and if often warrantied for 20-40 years. It never needs painting, can you say that for stucco?

Stucco has its own set of maintenance issues. I actually lived in a stucco home in Iowa and know it is not maintenance free.
Stucco in an area with freeze/thaw cycles is a different beast than in a place that rarely frosts/has shallow frosts. Properly applied stucco in areas like Phoenix lasts a long time, longer than most of our life spans.

But yes, stucco needs painting, but I agree with the other poster...I'll take the look of stucco over vinyl siding anyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 11:18 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,311,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Stucco in an area with freeze/thaw cycles is a different beast than in a place that rarely frosts/has shallow frosts. Properly applied stucco in areas like Phoenix lasts a long time, longer than most of our life spans.

But yes, stucco needs painting, but I agree with the other poster...I'll take the look of stucco over vinyl siding anyday.

Of course, but stucco still needs painting and occasional repairs, EVEN HERE. Even if the work is minimal, it's more work than vinyl siding which is virtually maintenance free.

I like stucco, but it depends on the style of the house. A boring, cookie cutter suburban house? No. A true SW style/adobe style house? Yes. The stucco house I lived in in Iowa was art deco style and that also worked. My dad grew up building houses with his father in South Dakota, and back then they used stucco a lot, he taught me a lot about it. It actually works pretty well in colder climates as it has an insulating effect keeping it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

(have you figured out I absolutely abhor the suburbs yet ? and the longer I live in the SW the more I hate vanilla ice cream which seems to be the color of the favorite paint for a lot of subdivisions)

Otherwise I prefer the look of vinyl siding. It looks cleaner, IMO.

I really prefer brick which you never see around here.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Of course, but stucco still needs painting and occasional repairs, EVEN HERE. Even if the work is minimal, it's more work than vinyl siding which is virtually maintenance free.

I like stucco, but it depends on the style of the house. A boring, cookie cutter suburban house? No. A true SW style/adobe style house? Yes. The stucco house I lived in in Iowa was art deco style and that also worked. My dad grew up building houses with his father in South Dakota, and back then they used stucco a lot, he taught me a lot about it. It actually works pretty well in colder climates as it has an insulating effect keeping it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

(have you figured out I absolutely abhor the suburbs yet ? and the longer I live in the SW the more I hate vanilla ice cream which seems to be the color of the favorite paint for a lot of subdivisions)

Otherwise I prefer the look of vinyl siding. It looks cleaner, IMO.

I really prefer brick which you never see around here.
Sure, it's a personal preference on what one prefers. I personally think vinyl looks cheap in comparison. The color also fades over time from the sun and while yes, stucco needs painting, and the paint color will also fade over time, it can be freshened up by a new coat of paint many times over its life.

yes, stucco is tough no doubt but again, it's a cement based product and like all cement based products, it will crack/split more often in an area with lots of freeze/thaw cycles than a climate without it. Our stucco house is 20+ years old and have had zero repairs needed on it....knock on wood, er, stucco.

Old 03-03-2017, 02:36 PM

656 posts, read 815,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
For someone who posts this

"VERY OPINIONATED POST - DON'T READ IF YOU OFFEND EASILY OR CANT TAKE CRITICISM PLEASE!"

You seem to be easily offended against anyone that disagrees with you and can't take criticism. You are poking at everyone that lives here and you know it that's why you made the thread in the first place. The good thing is you came out here and found out it wasn't fir which good. That's one less whiney transplant we have to deal with.

Reading all of OP's posts/rants, I am reminded of President Donnie...

Old 03-03-2017, 03:28 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,977,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post

It also needs re-application, too. All too often I drive along and see stucco on walls that is wearing so thin that you can already see the cinder block underneath. Looks so horrible.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
It also needs re-application, too. All too often I drive along and see stucco on walls that is wearing so thin that you can already see the cinder block underneath. Looks so horrible.
I think on houses the application of stucco is usually much thicker vs a block fence, at least it should be. But I know what you mean about fences out here/the stucco flaking off. I think the biggest problem with stuccoed fences flaking/falling apart is you get someone watering a plant/tree close to the stuccoed fence on a constant basis. Besides peeling the paint off, it will weaken the stucco on the fence and it will flake off pretty easy. I've seen that on more than a few stuccoed fences as you say, and it's usually towards the bottom of the stuccoed fence where the water wicks up a few feet. It does look funky for sure if it's not repaired and the water issue isn't addressed.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:00 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
My parents moved from Miami to DC in 1963, and are still there. They did mention horrible drivers (specifically from Michigan), way too many snowbirds, and lack of a diversified economy. Mom had a tough time adjusting to the seafood in DC....much better now. Still lots of things smelling fishy in both places.
Miami in 1963 is slightly different than Miami in 2017 so is D.C.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:47 PM

83 posts, read 79,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
Well I guess I thought a full day in each city/area of nothing but driving around each area of the metro was pretty good. we ate and shopped, we looked at schools, we met with locals, form sun up to sundown each day. Avondale, Goodyear, Glendale, Scottsdale, Fountain hills, Mesa, Tempe (not as much as others) Gilbert, Chandler and even north phoenix. What city did I miss? Peoria? C'mon. We even got with a real estate agent to look at homes so we could literally look behind the outside walls. We have moved 13 times and have gotten pretty good at this. SO its not like we just drove through a couple of neighborhoods in Chandler and said NAH.

I'm not sure why everyone wants to argue rather than point out something we missed then. Y'All just say NO NO NO you're wrong basically. But why am I wrong?

What should others like myself and family know before we come exactly?
Are there more than 20 shades of Tan? Im not sure? You have visited before, you should know there is a lot of 'beige'.
IS it less than 25-35 miles from the east burbs to downtown on average?
Does Traffic NOT back up there? There is a lot of traffic. Whoever told you to live in Gilbert and Chandler with your requirements really missed the mark. You would be better off in north central Phoenix. Its very green and no scorpions. Btw, most residents live here without ever seeing a scorpion. Don't know where you got the baby scorpions everywhere idea but it isn't a 'usual' thing here. Been here for 30 years and saw 2.
Can we eat the oranges that fall to the ground or not? Depends on the tree and relax dude. Seriously, I don't want you to live here as you are way too uptight.
Why do the police fly by me when im doing 50 in a 45? Do you want a ticket?
Are the Mountains or Hills in Phoenix? Both.
Are there not really cattle farms up and down some of the main roads through Chandler and Gilbert that have new subdivisions backing up to
them? Again, you were mislead about how Chandler and Gilbert were great option considering your needs. North central phoenix would have been much better.
Are there not big cement walls around everyone's property almost everywhere? No, they aren't. But after watching House Hunters, having a fence around one's property seems to be very desirable.
Is it NOT pretty flat all over except the hills in the background? Again, no but are you looking to live on a rollercoaster? The only place that isn't flat to live on (as that is more desirable to build homes on) would be San Francisico.
Are the homes not 96% stucco built? and TAN? I did see a orange house, 1 blue-ish house and a red one though. Again, you have visited but never saw what is around you until your visit? Yes, you must love tan, beige, brown cuz this is the desert
It is not like Im on here complaining that Phoenix is HOT. Im simpy stating some observations. feel free to correct me where i am wrong
You have every right to your opinion and I wouldn't want someone with your attitude to live here anyway but you have made some exaggerations about lack of mountains, and the amount of scorpions, and the "all the roofs are falling apart". You sound like a guy who really hates his life and is looking for perfection which will never be found as all places have their pros and cons.

You have to question why you have you moved so many times in the last 20 years. You don't sound like a happy , physically active person so yes, you would not fit in here. Perhaps a therapist could help you work through your issues so you can learn to accept where you are living now and enjoy it without the expense of moving. Best of luck to you!

Last edited by wizdum; 03-05-2017 at 09:02 PM..

Old 03-06-2017, 02:10 AM

3,700 posts, read 2,426,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
Mountains: huh....yeah i see them. And they are as boring as they were in Colorado. And whats worse.... driving around the metro reminds me of driving around IOWA... with mountains. Flat farmland. Now before you jump all over me about how beautiful the mountains are.... make sure you are talking about the same hills that you drive by every day to and from work not the beautiful red rocks out in Sedona. The hills are dry, crumbling rock, a few scattered shrubs, and not very appealing.
You're free to have an opinion, mate.

But how are mountains "boring?" Are they supposed to be entertaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area