Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 12:51 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,698,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
We have lived all over and by far my favorite wass Washington DC / Norther virginia. I love the diversity, culture, people, change, scenery, the hustle, everything.
Some people love the DC metro area. I moved to Phoenix from DC and never looked back once. There is not one time that I said to myself, "I really miss [whatever] about the DC metro". Sure, the monuments and the museums are nice, but those aren't every-day lifestyle things for most people, me included. I found that area to be run down, old, clique-ish (especially Capitol Hill people), and frankly it was overcrowded and overpriced. There were nice things about the city, but apart from the monuments and government, the rest was just watered down Americana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
I realize that Phoenix is almost polar opposite in most aspects. But that is why we thought we would love it.
That's exactly why I like it. It's a major city without almost any of the systemic dysfunction and outdated infrastructure of the Bos-Wash corridor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 12:58 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,743,095 times
[quote=rtloucks;47306681]

Mountains: huh....yeah i see them. And they are as boring as they were in Colorado. And whats worse.... driving around the metro reminds me of driving around IOWA... with mountains. Flat farmland. Now before you jump all over me about how beautiful the mountains are.... make sure you are talking about the same hills that you drive by every day to and from work not the beautiful red rocks out in Sedona. The hills are dry, crumbling rock, a few scattered shrubs, and not very appealing.

A few scattered shrubs? What mountains did you visit? You sound like someone who has never been here.

Congestion: Driving through Chandler and Gilbert reminded me a lot of driving through Fairfax VA only without the pretty scenery. IT was stoplight after stoplight, red light after red light, and what felt like a million cars on the road. Took me 44 minutes to get off 60 at Gilbert road, drive south to Warner road, then east to val vista, then back north to get on 60.... at 2:30 pm. Insane. Then driving back to the airport right after that took me another 40 minutes on 60/i10. i17 was at a dead stop in both directions with no accidents. Keep in mind this was 2:30-3:30 on a Tuesday. Weekend traffic seemed light though.

[BWe're the least congested major city in the country a fact is a fact, go look it up. [/b]

Neighborhoods: OK so this is purely my opinion.... Stucco.... Yucco! everything is tan and tile. 20 shades of tan as far as you can see. I know why but really? gross. We struggled to find large communities. Almost all of them are just little track home sections with another name. 20-30 homes per section. Very Generic, very sterile feeling. Not a single soul was outside either except two kids at a park. Very disappointing. I dont see the family feel that everyone preaches.

If you're so good at moving around and dislike stucco homes but then came here and drove around the east valley, you're clearly not very good at evaluating new cities.

Restaurants: OK NOW WE ARE TALKING! I'll give it to you.... this is the best place to get fat other than DFW. WE did eat at some pretty good places around the area. Social Box, 13 North, Serranos, etc. And if you use groupon you can get some decent deals. Food was all quality. I can not say that i had any bad experience in that field. Very pleased and wish I could have tried more. Kudos

Airport: Well this is simple... no really, its simple. Easiest Airport Ive been to. Friendly people, and easy to navigate. Clean too. Kudos again

Hospitality: well golly gee, every one i met was so pleasant, how can i complain. Especially the front desk guy at the dump we stayed at. Seriously, I have never seen someone take the initiative to move rooms and make things more accommodating without me even asking. I wish I would have gotten his name because he deserves a raise or a promotion or something. (Ramada Mesa off Dobson Road former Dobson Road Inn) Kind of a dumpy place but super nice staff. Overall good experiences with staff at restaurants and shopping centers too. Nothing to complain about.

The Ramada in is a total dump. WTH would you stay there?

Infrastructure: Pretty simple overall. Reminds me of Denver. Like a true North-South / East-West grid system. hard to ever get lost.

Scenery: Like I state above. withing the metro area, it looks just like Denver or parts of California. Dry and dull. The only cool thing was that a lot of streets are lined with orange trees dropping fruit like crazy right now. No hungry people in Chandler! Fountain Hills area is absolutely amazing to drive around. Other than that I found myself disgusted. Especially on the West metro. Glendale, Goodyear, Avondale..... boring boring boring.... Malls ad Car Dealers and dont look to deep because it gets run down.

Utter ignorance on display right here, no other way to explain this.

Downtown areas of Chandler and Gilbert:

Old 02-24-2017, 01:05 PM

50,391 posts, read 47,131,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
The good thing about Phoenix is the supermarkets have great deals on whine.
PLus, drinking makes everything look good

Old 02-24-2017, 01:44 PM

365 posts, read 424,092 times
Im moving out soon with my family and wanted to concentrate on Chandler/Gilbert but now im not so sure. I lived in Mesa in the early 90's but now im wondering if its too congested? Maybe Goodyear is a better choice for less congestion as its the same population now that Chandler/Gilbert were in the 90's but I still want the amenities and want lots of children around as I have an 11 year old daughter. Any thoughts???

Old 02-24-2017, 02:29 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,285,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strato58 View Post
Im moving out soon with my family and wanted to concentrate on Chandler/Gilbert but now im not so sure. I lived in Mesa in the early 90's but now im wondering if its too congested? Maybe Goodyear is a better choice for less congestion as its the same population now that Chandler/Gilbert were in the 90's but I still want the amenities and want lots of children around as I have an 11 year old daughter. Any thoughts???
So, you're an appraiser. wouldn't it make more sense to live closer to where the bulk of the properties are or in a more central location? I would think congestion wouldn't be an. issue if you're working out of your house.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:34 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,158,194 times
Well OP, I for one think you are being completely honest in what you experienced. This valley is flat with small hills/mountains (kind of) surrounding it. Really really far away from each other but still. Glad you were able to take the time, take off the rainbow shades and see the Phoenix MSA for what it is. Just another city, it has its' good points and its' bad. No matter what everyone else is into, you have to ask it if would work for your family. Luckily, you found that to be a resounding "No".

This is much the same experience we have had when looking for somewhere other than Phoenix to live. They are all just cities...it is not like you are trading lives or something miraculous is going to happen. The "new" wears off and the doldrums set in and there you are.

Thank you for your honest review.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
So, you're an appraiser. wouldn't it make more sense to live closer to where the bulk of the properties are or in a more central location? I would think congestion wouldn't be an. issue if you're working out of your house.
Is there more growth west or east valley? Im thinking west. Im sure ill be traveling most of the valley in this line of work and all these areas appear to be 20 or so miles to central Phoenix. Im leaving a congested area and hoping for a bit of traffic relief. Im thinking Chandler/Gilbert but Goodyear might also be good? Im coming out in the next month to look close at these areas. Im feeling very confused at the moment on where is best for my family. I have to narrow this down quickly as my house is under contract here in NJ and if everthing holds together its a mid May closing.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:44 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,285,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strato58 View Post
Is there more growth west or east valley? Im thinking west. Im sure ill be traveling most of the valley in this line of work and all these areas appear to be 20 or so miles to central Phoenix. Im leaving a congested area and hoping for a bit of traffic relief. Im thinking Chandler/Gilbert but Goodyear might also be good? Im coming out in the next month to look close at these areas. Im feeling very confused at the moment on where is best for my family.
There's growth all over, but that only matters if you're planning to do new construction appraisals, correct? There's far more existing properties east of Central Ave, so a bulk of the transactions will be on the East side for at least the next 15-20 years

Old 02-24-2017, 02:46 PM

Also im trying to keep my house budget to $350k or so. Im looking to get as much as I can for that kind of money. The valley has gotten expensive again.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:49 PM

Asu not only new construction but influx of new purchasers for all properties. Im pretty sure the east valley is the correct choice and im over thinking this move from afar. Its a stressful time for me right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area