Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 12:13 AM

4 posts, read 4,973 times

Advertisements

We are a gay couple that currently in Iowa, we always hated the cold winter and humid summer here but since my partner was born and raised in Iowa and we both had stable jobs so we never made the decision to move.

This changed when my partner lost his job and has been struggling to find anything here, and I'm in a position that can do an internal transfer so we are thinking this might be a good chance for us to move to Phoenix so he can get a job here(We've been here and loved it). So that being said, whats the job market like in Phoenix ? He has tons of customer service/call center manager experience in both retail and financial industries, are there plenty of these jobs there? He's been looking for jobs locally for 3 month and got some interviews but they all fell through...Or do you guys suggest him to find a job in Phoenix first before we move? But for the type of jobs he's seeking i doubt any employer to look beyond local candidates. My salary is decent so we can afford a 2bd/2b apt that's preferably under $1400 (Because I'm helping him to pay his bills as well).

So all in all, we loved the weather and scenery in Phoenix, and I heard Phoenix metro has 3 cities listed in the top 10 best cities to get jobs in 2017, i just need some insights from local residents to help us make our decision. I really do hope he can get a job and become happy again.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 07:25 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,376,994 times
There are a ton of call centers here, including a number of quite large ones, so it would probably be a good place for someone like him. But, yeah, for call centers they're not going to bother with non-local candidates...I think a lot of them put candidates through a training and testing process, anyway, which would require being local. It sure seems likely that he could find something though based on my experience of seeing people with no call-center experience get opportunities at call centers in the recent past, but I guess you never know until you try.

The economy here in general is strong especially lately, a lot of positive news reports on it the last couple years. We have also seen an uptick in threads of people moving here or considering moving here so that would seem to report as well that there are a lot of opportunities here again.

Maybe our moderator who is from Iowa originally can chime on the IA to AZ move as well.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
There are a ton of call centers here, including a number of quite large ones, so it would probably be a good place for someone like him. But, yeah, for call centers they're not going to bother with non-local candidates...I think a lot of them put candidates through a training and testing process, anyway, which would require being local. It sure seems likely that he could find something though based on my experience of seeing people with no call-center experience get opportunities at call centers in the recent past, but I guess you never know until you try.

The economy here in general is strong especially lately, a lot of positive news reports on it the last couple years. We have also seen an uptick in threads of people moving here or considering moving here so that would seem to report as well that there are a lot of opportunities here again.

Maybe our moderator who is from Iowa originally can chime on the IA to AZ move as well.
Thank you for the feedback ! Thats really good to know , he worked at a credit card call center manager so sounds like it would be a good place for his career. Could you help to ask your moderator friend the things that we should keep in mind or avoid if we move from IA to Phoenix ? I know that the state income tax in lower than IA. Thanks again !

Old 03-04-2017, 09:20 AM

774 posts, read 845,030 times
I work in the Financial Industry and every bank have large call centers and not just customer service but also back office fraud, claims, mortgage, AML. They companies in Chase, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Amex, Union Bank is also growing and is poaching a lot of talent from other banks. While start pay may mot be the greatest there is lots of opportunity to move with these banks and make a lot of money. Plus, while diversity and inclusion women and gays will be preferencial treatment over other candidates for management roles. Atleast that's how it is at the Bank I work for. So definitelty a lot of great opportunities here in the financial industry, good luck.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:19 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,358,353 times
I just heard on the radio this AM about a call center that was hiring. Of course the name of the company escapes me at this point, but it seems there are always call center jobs listed here.

I moved here over 3 years ago from Des Moines. It's quite a bit different here, but there's no winter so. That's all I needed!

Old 03-06-2017, 08:23 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,203,559 times
Like TempeAZNative said...AMEX, Wells Fargo, Chase, BofA, I would check with State Farm in Tempe. PayPal is in Chandler as well as Synchrony Bank, Nationstar Mortgage, and Verizon Wireless...CenturyLink is up/down town (not sure what Thomas and Central is being called these days) but those are not Financial. Problem is determining which one is going to work for where you move to...$1400 for a 2/2 should get you a nice place so I would go off of where YOUR job is located and then have him start applying.

Good luck!

Old 03-07-2017, 08:39 AM

Thank you all for the feedback, all very helpful info. We are actually going to visit PHX for several days and drive around in the metro to explore a bit more before we make the decision.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:58 AM

5,649 posts, read 6,006,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDSM View Post
Thank you all for the feedback, all very helpful info. We are actually going to visit PHX for several days and drive around in the metro to explore a bit more before we make the decision.
Visit in late June. Don't be one of those people that come here in winter and love it, stay for 3 years, then retreat because they cant take the heat any more.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:27 AM

13 posts, read 18,829 times
Hi,

My husband and I moved here from Michigan about three years ago and we absolutely love it. We both took jobs in the customer service field for about six months until we could move into our preferred fields of employment. As another poster indicated, there are many large call centers here and we were both hired within a week of applying. I would agree that it does help to have a local address.

There are many more opportunities here than there. We currently live in a beautiful apartment in Scottsdale and pay less than 1200 per month, with plans to buy a home within a couple of months. We were both able to move on to much higher paying jobs and also go back to school.

I would suggest, if possible, that you visit in the summer first to see if you have an issue with the heat. Personally, it did not bother me and I am used to it now. The other 3 seasons make up for it to me.

Finally, I know that there is prejudice everywhere, but for me and my husband, who are African-American, we have not had a single issue and people seem very tolerant here. I hope you and your partner find the same experience and good luck to you!

Old 03-10-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsness300 View Post
Hi,

My husband and I moved here from Michigan about three years ago and we absolutely love it. We both took jobs in the customer service field for about six months until we could move into our preferred fields of employment. As another poster indicated, there are many large call centers here and we were both hired within a week of applying. I would agree that it does help to have a local address.

There are many more opportunities here than there. We currently live in a beautiful apartment in Scottsdale and pay less than 1200 per month, with plans to buy a home within a couple of months. We were both able to move on to much higher paying jobs and also go back to school.

I would suggest, if possible, that you visit in the summer first to see if you have an issue with the heat. Personally, it did not bother me and I am used to it now. The other 3 seasons make up for it to me.

Finally, I know that there is prejudice everywhere, but for me and my husband, who are African-American, we have not had a single issue and people seem very tolerant here. I hope you and your partner find the same experience and good luck to you!
Thank you so much for sharing your experience and kind advices. 😬
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area