Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 04:10 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times

Advertisements

You'd be fine in old town, you may feel old if you go to the hippest clubs in town but even on occasions then I've been dragged there I always see 60+ year olds, assuming they're rich as the ladies accompanying them tend to look like they could be their daughters. But who am I to judge? Everyone has a good time and I find a pretty good mix of age groups all over old town when I'm there. Tempe is a little bit different, it seems younger to me which makes sense considering ASU is right there. With all the businesses along the lake and more coming the crowds are shifting to more middle aged and youn professionals. And downtown Phoenix literally gets a little bit of everything. Before settling in on one I suggest you spend some time around each to see what suits you better. I'm personally really liking what downtown Phoenix has going on lately and the continuous expansion of new eateries, music venues, bars, breweries, festivals and all types of events is more of a draw to me then old town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 08:16 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,127 times
You have tons of options in the valley, not just over-hyped 'Old Town' Scottsdale. (I can say that because I grew up in Scottsdale when there were still dirt roads and cow farms, and horses had the right of way!)

You could consider the Arcadia / Biltmore area. If you're going to do the snowbird thing, there are tons of condos near the Biltmore. Lots of shopping and restaurants and Scottsdale is 15 minutes away.

If you want to be near desert hiking, then consider north Scottsdale, (Kierland / Frank Lloyd Wright).

Closer to sports venues then check out downtown Phoenix with all of the historic districts making a comeback. Lots of historic funky homes.

Personally, I'm a fan of South Chandler, particularly the Ocotillo area. Tons of greenbelts and walking paths. Just like McCormick ranch in Scottsdale, but newer homes and more bang for your buck. Downtown Chandler and also Gilbert have their own cute "vibe" with Farmer's markets and great restaurants.

Wherever you choose we welcome your tax dollars!

Old 03-11-2017, 10:13 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,300,772 times
Thanks, everyone. You have all be very helpful. I'm looking forward to exploring!!

Old 03-12-2017, 09:20 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,139,473 times
South Chandler/Ocotillo would put you WAY outside the nightlife except for neighborhood bars. My younger brother won't even come south of the upper loop 202 if he can help it (he is in his 30s and lives in Scottsdale).

Old 03-12-2017, 04:50 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,943 times
Regardless of where you end up, there are dozens of clubs that can make your transition easier. Since you are into fitness there are a lot of running clubs, bicycling clubs (biking is huge down here) and hiking clubs that are co-ed and host events weekly. You can can meet a lot of like minded people at these types of events. Take a look at sites like: https://www.meetup.com/topics/running/us/az/scottsdale/ or http://www.solesportsrunning.com/con...p-runs-16.html

Many of the larger planned communities have not only great health facilities, but the residents join together to share their passion for life. Sponsoring all sorts of social activities, many that center around fitness activities.

I personally play tennis and I can tell you from experience that there are many co-ed social groups that meet for enjoyment and friendship. There is a great group in Scottsdale called Unstrung-Racquets.org

You don't have to go to a meat market to meet people here. You only need to join a group or groups of others that enjoy the same things.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:00 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,300,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Regardless of where you end up, there are dozens of clubs that can make your transition easier. Since you are into fitness there are a lot of running clubs, bicycling clubs (biking is huge down here) and hiking clubs that are co-ed and host events weekly. You can can meet a lot of like minded people at these types of events. Take a look at sites like: https://www.meetup.com/topics/running/us/az/scottsdale/ or Scottsdale Group Runs - Sole Sports Running Zone

Many of the larger planned communities have not only great health facilities, but the residents join together to share their passion for life. Sponsoring all sorts of social activities, many that center around fitness activities.

I personally play tennis and I can tell you from experience that there are many co-ed social groups that meet for enjoyment and friendship. There is a great group in Scottsdale called Unstrung-Racquets.org

You don't have to go to a meat market to meet people here. You only need to join a group or groups of others that enjoy the same things.
Good to know!!

Old 03-13-2017, 12:02 PM

125 posts, read 105,884 times
Also check out Shea Blvd./Via Linda east of the 101. Nice homes, nice people, mature community.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:54 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Hi,

I"m a single, young retiree (62), no kids, and yes, I do look and act younger than 62 like everyone says. Most guess I'm 48-49. I'm very active...jog, weights, etc...all my hair, etc trim...lol.. I'm thinking about the Greater Phoenix area for retirement. I've been retired for a couple years already, l but in colder weather in a fairly small metro area in the Upper Great Plains.

I could do the snowbird thing, but as a single I'm thinking there would probably be more opportunities to really plug into single groups, as ell as other activities, I'm thinking maybe somewhere in the Greater Phoenix area would be nice to live full-time.

I just think I'm a little too lying yet for a "retirement" community so I was thinking somewhere a little more vibrant such as Temp or Old Scottsdale might be a good first choice to live. I"d go down next winter or earlier and just rent anyway and could always change locations.

Opinions about Tempe and Scottsdale (I say Old Scottsdale because it might be nice to be within walking distance of restaurants and bars, etc....

Oh, I should mention that I have a steady retirement income of take home of 7000 a month plus investments, etc..so that would be my approximate budget. (Take home, not gross)....

Thanks for opinions...
With your budget you could afford a nice place in Scottsdale, but I advise against it because you can usually find homes and neighborhoods just as nice in other parts of the Phoenix MSA for more reasonable prices.

I sometimes get pushback for this but imho Scottsdale is way overpriced, overrated, and tends to attract a fake snooty crowd, especially the oldtown area.

That part of Scottsdale is suited for a younger crowd so even you being a youngish 62 may find yourself not fitting in too well.

Northern Tempe has nightlife but it's suited for an even younger crowd than oldtown Scottsdale.

I recommend the Arrowhead area of Glendale, it's affluent without the snooty element and it may not have the vibrant nightlife but it has plenty of shopping, bars and restaurants.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:05 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
You rang?! OP, you must know that Java Jolt once had his feelings hurt by someone in Scottsdale and tends to stereotype the entire city in a negative light. There are plenty of 60+ affluent retirees in the pricey (and very nice!) condos around Old Town Scottsdale and the surrounding neighborhoods. Arrowhead for an active single person would be a terrible choice. .

Java, hit up one of the frequent art events in downtown Scottsdale and you'll see more retirees than young partiers. Or maybe one of the many culinary festivals. Or the weekend farmers market. Or any of the many restaurants. You really need to check things out because your posts have a lot of misinformation.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:32 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
You rang?! OP, you must know that Java Jolt once had his feelings hurt by someone in Scottsdale and tends to stereotype the entire city in a negative light. There are plenty of 60+ affluent retirees in the pricey (and very nice!) condos around Old Town Scottsdale and the surrounding neighborhoods. Arrowhead for an active single person would be a terrible choice. .

Java, hit up one of the frequent art events in downtown Scottsdale and you'll see more retirees than young partiers. Or maybe one of the many culinary festivals. Or the weekend farmers market. Or any of the many restaurants. You really need to check things out because your posts have a lot of misinformation.
I don't stereotype the entire city of Scottsdale negatively, mainly the oldtown area because of several unpleasant experiences.

While Scottsdale is a very nice city, people have a right to be informed about the costs of buying-renting there versus other parts of the Phoenix area where a person can get something just as nice in a lower pricerange.

You're free to call it misinformation but I write from experience.

You have a right to promote the upsides of Scottsdale and you do it well, but I will continue to promote other areas that I find to be just as nice but less hoity-toity and less expensive and possibly even underrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area