Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 09:32 AM

307 posts, read 954,610 times

Advertisements

Yes, we play outdoors in summer months...

Even contruction workers are working in outdoors in summer, albeit they try and call it a day before 3pm, usually starting the work day around 5AM.

It just goes back to the fact that the Earth is tilted and the sun rises earlier and sets later in the day.

After the Labor Day weekend, you start to notice the overnight low temps getting lower and obviously, the daylight shortening...

Subtle change, but noticable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 09:36 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,173,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Well, I was talking about NY's humidity, but youre correct, too. Humidity creeps up during monsoon season, but its not as bad as, say, Florida or Georgia. But in NY you wont see 94 degrees with 95% humidity, that heat index would be off the charts!
I know you argue this a lot, but I HAVE seen it when I was up there many times! I would spend 3 months a year during the summer and used to see it a lot.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:41 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,425,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
I know you argue this a lot, but I HAVE seen it when I was up there many times! I would spend 3 months a year during the summer and used to see it a lot.
Humidity during peak temps will be in the 50-60% range at most. Florida is much more humid than NY, and in Miami the humidity is around 65% during peak summer temps.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:46 AM

9 posts, read 17,176 times
Quote:
Humidity during peak temps will be in the 50-60% range at most. Florida is much more humid than NY, and in Miami the humidity is around 65% during peak summer temps.
On July 18, Syracuse, N.Y., tied its all-time record high dew point temperature of 77 degrees, set July 4, 1999. That dew point boosted the 91 degrees high temperature to a heat index of 104 degrees.

Not only has the Northeast seen high dew points, but they have persisted for weeks.
But the higher the humidity, the less efficient the evaporation process. That's why the same temperature in a dry climate such as Phoenix's may not feel as bad as in a humid one.

..........Just a few things I found. It DOES get hotter than hell here. It may not stay that way for months, but it DOES suck, and that combined with our insane winters just make for an all around unpleasant weather experience. Also alot of people here do NOT have A/C in their homes. Depression from lack of sunshine.....
https://pics2.city-data.com/w6/sun15024.png (broken link)
https://pics2.city-data.com/w7/cld15024.png (broken link)
amount of snowfall
https://pics2.city-data.com/w5/snw15024.png (broken link)

need I go on?

Thanks to everyone who understands

Old 03-05-2008, 09:49 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,322,549 times
Dry heat might not feel as sticky as humid heat, but the point is, if you're someone who is already complaining about the summers in the midwest or northeast, Phoenix is NO PLACE for you. You have to LOVE summers and LOVE the heat to be happy in Phoenix. If you're somebody who equally hates cold winters and hot summers, you should be looking at southern California, living within a few miles of the coast-- NOT the middle of the desert. That or possibly a high elevation area somewhere in the interior of Mexico (towns in SE Arizona like Sierra Vista, Bisbee, Tombstone, Wilcox, etc are about the closest thing you'll get to a Mexican highlands climate in the US).

Old 03-05-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl777 View Post
On July 18, Syracuse, N.Y., tied its all-time record high dew point temperature of 77 degrees, set July 4, 1999. That dew point boosted the 91 degrees high temperature to a heat index of 104 degrees
Yes, that is extremely high, but humidity at peak temp (90 degrees) was only 68%, not 95% like others have said, which proves my point. You can get 100% humidity, but its in the early morning hours or late at night, when the temps have cooled off and it doesnt feel nearly as bad.

Scroll down to that days' hourly observations to 4:54 pm when the peak temp hit and youll see.

History : Weather Underground

That kind of humidity is unbearable, but its still quite a bit cooler than PHX in July, no doubt. And the good thing is that that kind of humidity doesnt stick around long, unlike AZs summer heat. The OP needs to spend several weeks/months in PHX in summer to get a good feel. Just a week or two wont really show much.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:57 AM

930 posts, read 2,424,639 times
Keep in mind too that you can drive a couple hours from Scottsdale/Phoenix and be in Flagstaff or on top of the Mogollan Rim at 8000 feet elevation where it is 75 degrees in July.

Try taking a 2 hour drive from New York City or Denver and completely changing climates.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beena View Post
Keep in mind too that you can drive a couple hours from Scottsdale/Phoenix and be in Flagstaff or on top of the Mogollan Rim at 8000 feet elevation where it is 75 degrees in July
But then you have to hop back in the car and head south on I-17 and watch the thermometer soar back to triple digits. Talk about a teaser!

Old 03-05-2008, 10:03 AM

172 posts, read 252,931 times
Quote:
The OP needs to spend several weeks/months in PHX in summer to get a good feel. Just a week or two wont really show much.
Out of curiosity, have you ever spent a summer in AZ ?

Old 03-05-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick754 View Post
Out of curiosity, have you ever spent a summer in AZ ?
Its impossible with work. In 02 I was down there for almost 7 weeks that summer when my MIL was sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area