Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 01:13 PM

36 posts, read 103,778 times

Advertisements

Yes, the Porcupines are in the Upper Peninsula, a long ways away. Might as well be Canada. The highest elevation is Summit Peak, a whopping 1,958 ft. Detroit sits at an elevation of 579 ft, so thats a huge change. Phoenix sits at an elevation of 1,117 ft & in the Flagstaff area Mt. Elden (9,299 ft) or the San Fran Peaks/Humphrey's Peak (12,633 ft) are a true comparison to that of Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 01:17 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,188,765 times
Hey, we need to stay on track here. The OP has said that she's heard enough about the weather. Thanks.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:21 PM

172 posts, read 253,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl777 View Post
So...what else is WONDERFUL about Phoenix?
To get back on topic, one of the wonderful things about Phoenix is that it's very welcoming of newcomers/transplants. You won't get any of the nativist sentiment that is common in places like Colorado.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:00 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,777,745 times
I would say that one of the nice things is how clean a city this is. I love N. Peoria and find the restaurants are usually very clean (even after small children have been seated). We just got back from FL and ate at the Chili's near the airport. It was beyond gummy and I practically had to pry my water glass off of the table. Could not wait to get back here. So, we are very nice and we are clean.
The other thing we love is sitting out on our back patio in Feb. The air is wonderful.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:32 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,345,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I would say that one of the nice things is how clean a city this is.
Or perhaps how clean certain sections of the city are. North Peoria where MotleyCrew lives is nice, but the Tempe area and much of central Phoenix is incredibly dirty and trashy. Every time there's a lot of wind, especially during a monsoon storm you will see tons of trash being blown around. I could take you on a tour of Tempe that would probably gross you out... first stop the Frys and Safeway parking lots... then we'll look behind the bushes on Rural Rd where homeless people sleep at night... then we'll... but I'm guessing you'll pass. Nice and new areas tend to be clean no matter what city you're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick754 View Post
To get back on topic, one of the wonderful things about Phoenix is that it's very welcoming of newcomers/transplants. You won't get any of the nativist sentiment that is common in places like Colorado.
I agree, people here could care less where you come from and how long you've lived here. I think Phoenix could actually use a good dose of nativism to keep the population growth under control.

If you want to read about what I like about Phoenix (and yes, there are a lot of things I like about it), read this thread I started on the Denver forum.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:46 PM

172 posts, read 253,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I agree, people here could care less where you come from and how long you've lived here. I think Phoenix could actually use a good dose of nativism to keep the population growth under control.

If you want to read about what I like about Phoenix (and yes, there are a lot of things I like about it), read this thread I started on the Denver forum.
Unfortunately I don't think the nativism does anything to control population growth, it's just annoying and divisive.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:05 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,724,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ji603 View Post
Gun laws are not the best - other states are less restrictive, but then again it's nothing compared to CA,MA,NY,NJ,DE,DC, IL
Really? I thought Arizona allowed CCW rights? I guess compared to the other states you mentioned, they seem somewhat lenient. Unless the Arizona laws have recently changed?

Old 03-05-2008, 08:24 PM

9 posts, read 17,189 times
Thanks for the other info. Please Keep it coming It just keeps sounding better. Where in Phoenix area has the best mountain views in your opinion?

As far as the gun laws go, you can't get MUCH worse than NY, except CA. So even tho AZ might not be the best its still so much better.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:10 AM

443 posts, read 2,138,744 times
Hi Lucky Girl,

You and your husband might want to check out Yuma in your trip also, it's 2 hrs from Phoenix and 2 1/2 hrs from San Diego. There are plenty of jobs as the city is still growing and not the traffic or population like Phoenix. It's near te Mexican border for good lunch and shopping. There is plenty to do. Great city to live in. Summers are of course HOT but the winters are awesome and make up for it.

Good luck to you guys!

Old 03-06-2008, 10:04 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,674,912 times
Don't let bugs stop you from moving here. I moved from NY. I saw a lot more bugs in NY than in AZ. Get an exterminator, you'll live happily ever after in AZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area