Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 10:39 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,748,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Interesting. Intel has a large presence and of course there's Go Daddy, but there isn't a huge tech scene here like the other cities mentioned.
We seem to stack up as about average on technology and STEM related job stats. If you were to isolate just downtown Phoenix and East from the much more industrial parts of town I have a feeling that this would be much higher.

These guys seem to do a pretty good job assessing city stats and consider how high tech/STEM jobs rank. We land pretty much smack dab in the middle around Portland, OR and LA but ahead of places like Chicago and Philly and of course behind tech powerhouse cities like Boston and SF. I don't see any issue with that.

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst...ssionals/9200/

I'll add that our high tech numbers have been growing rapidly lately, propelling is to the #2 spot on the annual tech job growth rankings by CBRE.

Phoenix lands at No. 2 on CBRE's annual Tech-Thirty Report | AZ Big Media

Old 03-24-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Sure there are some. But look at other major cities with much smaller populations and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Okay, looked at lots of other major cities with smaller populations, not seeing what you're talking about.

STEM Job Totals for Metro Areas

Total STEM Jobs

Major Cities with MSAs populations smaller then Phoenix

Phoenix: 331,000
Denver: 261,000
Las Vegas: 99,000
Austin: 171,000
Cleveland: 203,000
Portland: 201,000
San Jose: 283,000
San Diego: 271,000
Salt Lake City: 116,000
KC: 193,000
STL: 173,000
Milwaukee: 167,000
Tampa: 207,000
Orlando: 161,000
Cincy: 194,000
Raleigh: 108,000
Charlotte: 168,000

Similar Size to Phoenix:
Detroit: 373,000
Seattle: 401,000

Larger Populations than Metro Phoenix:
Chicago: 806,000 about 2.5x Phoenix size in STEM jobs and 2.5x in population
SF: 440,000
Boston: 554,000
NY: 1.5M
Houston:
Dallas: 579,000
Houston: 569,000

Old 03-24-2017, 10:58 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,980,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Okay, looked at lots of other major cities with smaller populations, not seeing what you're talking about.

STEM Job Totals for Metro Areas

Total STEM Jobs

Major Cities with MSAs populations smaller then Phoenix

Phoenix: 331,000
Denver: 261,000
Las Vegas: 99,000
Austin: 171,000
Cleveland: 203,000
Portland: 201,000
San Jose: 283,000
San Diego: 271,000
Salt Lake City: 116,000
KC: 193,000
STL: 173,000
Milwaukee: 167,000
Tampa: 207,000
Orlando: 161,000
Cincy: 194,000
Raleigh: 108,000
Charlotte: 168,000

Similar Size to Phoenix:
Detroit: 373,000
Seattle: 401,000

Larger Populations than Metro Phoenix:
Chicago: 806,000 about 2.5x Phoenix size in STEM jobs and 2.5x in population
SF: 440,000
Boston: 554,000
NY: 1.5M
Houston:
Dallas: 579,000
Houston: 569,000
That's what I was getting at! Cities like Denver are much smaller, yet right on our heels. Places like Boston, Seattle, Dallas, and Denver are bit smaller, but quite a bit far ahead.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
That's what I was getting at! Cities like Denver are much smaller, yet right on our heels. Places like Boston, Seattle, Dallas, and Denver are bit smaller, but quite a bit far ahead.
How are Dallas, Seattle and Boston smaller then we are? There's a ton more people in Boston and Dallas making up the regional job base and Seattle is basically identical but I'd be willing to bet that the labor market size in Phoenix would be significantly smaller than Seattle and probably closer in size to Denver.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_statistical_area

Boston: 8.3Million
Dallas: 7.5Million
Seattle: 4.6Million
Phoenix: 4.6Million
Denver: 3.4Million

So that leaves 1 place, Denver, that is smaller and has less STEM jobs and we are adding STEM jobs much faster recently. But I can't find a more updated STEM job source that's easy to compare, so if you know of one post the link.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:19 AM

130 posts, read 71,983 times
A mid 30s women who is "well off" is not really what guys the same age find attractive. How OP views the blue collar guys she dates is sort of similar to how men view women like her. The thing is a woman's income and status is not very important to most men like it is to women. Guys in their 30s will be going for younger women in their 20s. Op might have luck with older men like late 30s- mid 40s. This is the downside of women putting their carreers first until they are in their 20s. More power to them, but don't blame men for thousands of years of biology.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:43 AM

594 posts, read 700,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
How are Dallas, Seattle and Boston smaller then we are? There's a ton more people in Boston and Dallas making up the regional job base and Seattle is basically identical but I'd be willing to bet that the labor market size in Phoenix would be significantly smaller than Seattle and probably closer in size to Denver.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_statistical_area

Boston: 8.3Million
Dallas: 7.5Million
Seattle: 4.6Million
Phoenix: 4.6Million
Denver: 3.4Million

So that leaves 1 place, Denver, that is smaller and has less STEM jobs and we are adding STEM jobs much faster recently. But I can't find a more updated STEM job source that's easy to compare, so if you know of one post the link.
Thanks locolife, right on point as usual.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:09 PM

483 posts, read 410,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlegirlinaz View Post
We hear a lot from guys how hot and attractive the women are in the Valley of the sun but let’s talk about the men.

I’m 30F and single, have a decent-paying job and reasonably attractive. I’d like to meet a nice looking gentleman with a decent job himself. I prefer white-collar guys who dress nice, not necessarily suit and tie but better than t-shirts, jeans, shorts, or sandals.

I know this is going to be a long post, it might come across a bit judgmental but I’m prepared for some reaction. From my perspective the quality of single available men around my age is awful around here and not at all to my liking. Let me explain.

I belong to a gym and go out on occasion with friends but I’m not heavily into the club or bar scene. Sometimes I get approached by guys but their appearance and personality are never to my liking. Most of them are covered in tattoos or piercings and are really un-gentleman like in their approach. None of them are very nice dressers and some of them look like street bums. Even with these bad qualities some of them still act conceited, especially some guys I've seen in the gym.

Then there’s the kind of cars they drive like the huge lifted trucks, and they somehow they think it looks cool. I have news for the guys who drive those behemoths, you’re not cool and you’re not attractive!

I have an on line profile and I met a few guys in the area but they seem to be as bad or worse than meeting them off line.

Case in point, a few months ago I went out with a guy I met on line who seemed nice and reasonably attractive in his profile, but when we met he was dressed in dirty work clothes and said he didn’t have time to shower. He tried to be a gentleman but he ruined it by belching out loud and we both knew we weren’t connecting. There was no hostility but when he left I stuck around to see what kind of car he drove and you guessed it, it was a huge Ford F350 lifted pickup.

Is this bad quality of men my age commonplace in the Phoenix Valley or is it a growing trend all over America?
I'm not in the Phoenix metro area yet but once I do return I hope to get back in the dating scene. I doubt your situation is just a Phoenix thing. I think the dating scene has changed over time. I'm leary of the online dating scene. I've met a few guys that way too but catfishing is REAL lol!! Hopefully you meet some qualified men through mingling, striking up conversations, and activities as others have suggested! Good luck!

Old 03-24-2017, 02:57 PM

296 posts, read 365,195 times
Based on my experience, the best way to find a guy is to stop looking and start really working on developing yourself. I'm serious! It has always seemed so odd to me but I've had the worst luck with guys when I was actively pursuing a relationship. Maybe it was because the more I focused on myself and my interests the more confident and relaxed I became.

I would suggest developing and spending time doing activities you are really interested in. I absolutely do not suggest you get into things you aren't truly interested in to meet someone though. You won't meet "Mr. Right" at home. Join local online communities and meet-ups. Spend some time doing some really interesting things.

It sounds like you like keeping in shape and it sounds like you aren't meeting the right guys at the gym. Have you ever thought about getting into cycling, hiking, a co-ed sports activity, or a martial art? I'm sure there are lot of meet-ups and organizations in the valley for the above activities and more.

Sounds like the normal bar scene isn't your thing. (I don't blame you!) Have you ever wanted to get into fine wine, beer, coffee or teas? There are wine bars, good beer establishments, and coffee shops all over the valley.

Go to concerts, events, and festivals you are really into. Spend your time doing things you enjoy.

Get yourself out of comfort zone (whatever that may be) and focus on meeting new friends. Talk about things that interest you with new people.

The best relationships I have ever been in have started as friendships. Having things in common and being passionate about the same things (while not always necessary) really does strengthen a relationship.

Maybe things are changing, but I've observed that guys in their 30s (at least the good ones) tend to get less superficial about what they are looking for in a partner. There needs to be a base attraction, but it seems to me who they are attracted to broadens and they stopped overlooking "bad quality" as much if someone is "super hot" in their eyes. They want someone who is down to earth and shares their interests. Plus there are still plenty of guys that weren't that way as much in the first place.

If you are in your 30's and don't have kids it also will be easier for you. Unfortunately it is harder for single moms. The older you get the more you likely to meet single guys that may have made a bad relationship choice when they were younger and less wise and are now divorced. Consider if you would be interested in a guy who already has some kids.

But honestly, my best advice is to focus on enriching your life and try new things. Have fun, find fulfillment in your life and you will attract someone that you are compatible with.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:18 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,292,334 times
In the Phoenix area, there are plenty of us white collar, tattoo less, semi professionally dressed guys who don't drive big pickup trucks. The problem is: many of us are quite a bit older than 30, and are already taken! The OP claims to have old school tastes ... however, I'm sensing somewhat of an entitlement attitude in her posts, which seems to be common among her age group. In this day & age, women shouldn't be sitting around waiting to be approached, and then rejecting every man who doesn't look or act a certain way. If they want something bad enough, they have to get it themselves, even if that means making the first move.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:34 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,626,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
In the Phoenix area, there are plenty of us white collar, tattoo less, semi professionally dressed guys who don't drive big pickup trucks. The problem is: many of us are quite a bit older than 30, and are already taken! The OP claims to have old school tastes ... however, I'm sensing somewhat of an entitlement attitude in her posts, which seems to be common among her age group. In this day & age, women shouldn't be sitting around waiting to be approached, and then rejecting every man who doesn't look or act a certain way. If they want something bad enough, they have to get it themselves, even if that means making the first move.
If women put the same emphasis on their dating life as they do on their education and careers there would be less complaining and more relationship success.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area