Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 07:27 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,928,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
If you have to be "approved" by the bank to take over the lease, the lease was NOT prepaid.
Prepaying the lease is not more costly. You are not paying 20 years interest.
We paid 15,500$ prepaid lease. 33 panels. 8.25kW - it covers us a 100%. No monthly payment. We pay APS only between 10 and 11$ a month for taxes, account charge, metering, billing...

If you find a house where the lease has been prepaid, you have nothing to lose. If you want to know their monthly payment to APS, make them show you their APS bill for the year. Our house is 1960 square feet. A bigger house will need a bigger system. We based our system to how much electricity we used in the prior years. As I said, some people buy systems who cover them only 50%.
Yeah, it sounds like a prepaid lease is the best arrangement for me..
Since I am "older", I am not sure I will be in this house more than 10 years or so, so a long term lease arrangement wouldnt make much sense for me..
thanks to everyone for all this great input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 04:22 PM

hey, quick solar question...

We are interested in buying a house with a "grandfathered" solar lease arrangement; if you produce more energy than you use, you get money back from APS..the house has had this system for 6 years now..

Obviously, if you don't produce enough, then you pay the difference..

My question is, does the new owner of the house,(ME) also get grandfathered in, or, will they pull that arrangement on my, and make it so they are not beneficial to me?

Thanks!

Old 05-28-2017, 04:44 PM

550 posts, read 1,129,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
hey, quick solar question...

We are interested in buying a house with a "grandfathered" solar lease arrangement; if you produce more energy than you use, you get money back from APS..the house has had this system for 6 years now..

Obviously, if you don't produce enough, then you pay the difference..

My question is, does the new owner of the house,(ME) also get grandfathered in, or, will they pull that arrangement on my, and make it so they are not beneficial to me?

Thanks!
Even if you are "grandfathered" in, the money you get back from APS at the end of the year is not much. Last December we received a credit of 43.71$ for the electricity we did not use. We had 1510 kwh in surplus. They used to pay more when we installed the system.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:48 PM

I understand that, and I dont really care how much I get back; however, the monthly lease on the panels is 120 per month; I assume, that, a normal electric bill for a 2200 SF house in Peoria has got to be 300 or so per month, so, if we pay 120 per month, and we use 300 per month, then the savings are 180 per month, which, is a strong incentive for us to buy this house; of course, we like everything else about it, but, saving 150-200 per month in energy costs makes the house even more attractive!

Old 05-28-2017, 05:04 PM

2,622 posts, read 2,346,604 times
Quote:
I understand that, and I dont really care how much I get back; however, the monthly lease on the panels is 120 per month; I assume, that, a normal electric bill for a 2200 SF house in Peoria has got to be 300 or so per month, so, if we pay 120 per month, and we use 300 per month, then the savings are 180 per month, which, is a strong incentive for us to buy this house; of course, we like everything else about it, but, saving 150-200 per month in energy costs makes the house even more attractive!
You need to determine exactly how much energy that system produces and have a rough estimate of the houses's energy usage. I would guess with the cost of the lease payment being $120 that you ARE NOT producing enough solar energy to cover your energy costs 100%. Sounds like a peak shaver type unit to me that will likely cover 60% of your costs (again, just guessing). You will likely still be paying APS something every month. The savings on a leased system would never be hundreds of dollars per month....ever.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:29 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,253,740 times
Quote:
Your math doesn't add up but to answer your question the home is grandfathered not the person. Savings and costs are much more about the home and your use and the size of the solar system. Don't expect to just save $150-$200 a month.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:04 PM

according to their real estate agent, they average about 20 dollars per month that they pay APS; their largest electric bill EVER was 100 dollars, and that was the last time it was 118 outside, and they had the inside set to 74...

Is this possible? they have very large panels on the entire south side and west side of the roof, so its not a small collection system..

they have had this setup for 5 1/2 years, if that means anything

thanks!

Old 05-28-2017, 08:30 PM

2,622 posts, read 2,346,604 times
Quote:
according to their real estate agent, they average about 20 dollars per month that they pay APS; their largest electric bill EVER was 100 dollars, and that was the last time it was 118 outside, and they had the inside set to 74...

Is this possible? they have very large panels on the entire south side and west side of the roof, so its not a small collection system..

they have had this setup for 5 1/2 years, if that means anything

thanks!
It would better help if they told you the size of the solar system they have on the house and the average kWh used in electricity per month.

Many times agents and homeowners themselves will over-estimate what the solar is really doing for them, especially when they are trying to sell.

I would not take them at their word but that's your call.

Even in the months I do not use ANY electricity from APS (100% solar covered), I still pay close to $30 in fees/taxes alone. I have a hard time believing their average bill is $20 per month.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:22 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,957,761 times
Lewdog is sounds like you're on the Time Advantage plan, which has extra taxes and fees compared to someone on the Standard plan with solar.

I have a full offset system and my APS bills are right around $22/month year round.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:51 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,815,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
It would better help if they told you the size of the solar system they have on the house and the average kWh used in electricity per month.

Many times agents and homeowners themselves will over-estimate what the solar is really doing for them, especially when they are trying to sell.

I would not take them at their word but that's your call.

Even in the months I do not use ANY electricity from APS (100% solar covered), I still pay close to $30 in fees/taxes alone. I have a hard time believing their average bill is $20 per month.
I switched from the time advantage plan to the standard plan shortly after I had my system installed last year. If you have a 100% offset there's really no benefit to being on a time advantage plan. My monthly bill was like yours around $30.00/month and is now around $19.00/month. HX is correct there are extra fees in the time advantage plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area