Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 08:32 AM

19,461 posts, read 27,955,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Someone please explain why we can't hire skilled Eastern European craftsmen for our automotive biz without jumping through a ton of hoops but a resort can bring in a bellman from another country?
You've made an assumption that theven OP's deal is on the up and up. Ultimately, your craftsman and a bellhop will need an H1B2 visa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 09:52 AM

550 posts, read 1,491,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I thought so, too, and still do. But IF I recall correctly, the OP is working as a bellman in a resort. I doubt the corporation that owns the resort is going to put much time, money or effort into relocating a bellman.

OP may very well be getting scammed. I hope he is VERY VERY careful.
Wait, a bellman? Yeah, you're never getting a green card for a bellman. I assumed the OP was some sort of manager or desert landscape expert. Perhaps OP is a refugee and got this job in some sort of relocation program? If neither of these things are true, then I'd be worried about scammers.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:10 AM

69 posts, read 61,017 times
Default I got already offer

What is wrong to be as bellman and have no right to enter USA ??what is the scam meaning you talking about??
I'm working now with international hotels chains all over the world and once I got lottery visa as me and my family as legally immigrants. my company wanted to help me by giving chance transfer to one of our branches in USA because I already have visa .and the offer is in scottsdale.they will not help me by housing or transportation or even pay my flight tickets.i will do all on my won.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:22 PM

19,461 posts, read 27,955,044 times
Quote:
Employability

In addition, applicants from qualifying countries must have either:
a high school diploma or its equivalent (meaning a 12-year course of elementary and secondary education), or
a minimum of two years' experience (within the last five years) in a job that normally requires at least two years of training or experience.
U.S. job offers are not necessary. But lottery winners will need to be able to prove that they'll be able to support themselves financially in the United States.
If you won the so called green card lottery, that changes the picture - slightly. But I'm not so sure that you meet those employability requirements (unless it takes 2 years to become a bellhop). And the salary for a bellhop will not prove you can support yourself, your wife and kids.

May I suggest that you go to the US Consulate to discuss this plan before you expend any more money or energy.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:27 PM

Ah, ok a lottery visa makes sense. There's nothing wrong with being a bellman, just that for your company to transfer you and get you a visa or green card...well, that just wouldn't happen for a bellman, those people are usually highly educated workers - doctors and PhDs and stuff. But if your visa is already settled and you have a job...welcome to America!

The Troon area is going to be kind of expensive. Hopefully you have some money saved up to buy a car because you'll probably be commuting. And to be honest, I've never had to live on a bellman's pay so I don't know how easy that's going to be, but I imagine it will be somewhat difficult. To rent an apartment, landlords usually want to see that your monthly income will be at least 3x the monthly rent. If you're making an average bellman's salary, there's not going to be much available that is less than 3x your monthly income. They're also going to want to see good credit history and/or a good tenant record. For someone with no credit history, you're going to have a hard time renting from the kind of landlord who only owns one or two properties. You're probably going to have to rent at a big apartment complex until you establish some credit and tentant history in the US. You could also try the VRBO.com route, though that will get expensive pretty quick.

Are you planning to come by yourself, or is your whole family coming at once? If it's just you, you might want to consider finding a roommate on craigslist (phoenix.craigslist.org). Sometimes people will rent out rooms in their house, or want to split an apartment with another renter to keep costs down. Another upside of this is that if you're renting a single room, you won't need to bring much furniture.

You can also look for apartment rentals on craigslist, but I don't know how you're going to hit that 3x income rule for a whole apartment.

Keep in mind that if you do use craigslist, it is full of scammers. Don't pay anyone any money until you get here and see the place for yourself. If they ask for a deposit or want to rent it to you sight unseen, just don't do it. I know you're probably thinking you want to get this all settled before you get in the country, but trust me on this you do not want to send anybody money from afar. And if some place sounds too good to be true, it is. Places that advertise really low rents for a nice big 3 bedroom place are probably advertising a nightly or weekly rent, not a monthly one. Just get a hotel room for the first week or two, or do the VRBO.com or airbnb.com thing (that is more secure since a company collects your money and forwards it to the person you're renting from).

Are you religious? If so, joining a church will be a good way to make connections in your new community. Or if there is some sort of community group in the area of people from your home country, they will probably be helpful as well. Getting started from scratch in a brand new country is going to be extremely difficult if you don't get some kind of help. Do you know anyone at all in this area? You need to find people to help you find your way around your new culture. I'm glad you have a job because you will also be able to ask your coworkers questions - though they probably won't be too helpful with your immigration issues.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:09 PM

69 posts, read 61,017 times
thanks so much for all of these information.my company didn't offer me to transfer.me who show them the visa and because I working with them many years ago.they helping me.i contact many branches in the USA once I got the visa.sime if them declined my application and only two properties contact me back.
New York approved me but after they know that I'm coming as a family they paused​ my application.they think I will not afford to living costs there.with average 14 or 15 $ per hour including gratitude​.
Los Angeles still study for my application but they wants me to come in a week or two which is impossible for me and I think also Los Angeles is expensive as new York .
So the last option was Scottsdale with about 8.75 $ per hour and about graduate (tips) according to occupancy I cant now expect how much will be.
So I picked Scottsdale and I don't know if I'm was right or no untill now.i don't know any one in Arizona .
I'm coming with my wife and son (3years) daughter (6months) and that's why I'm so worry about housing and transportation if I'm alone I can sleep anywhere and eat any thing.
That's why I need to set plan.i will try Zillow and Craigslist and also extended stay hotels.
And regarding to driving licence I have my local license and and I can get international one. I contacted the traffic AZ authority to inquiring about the possibility.i have enough money to life for awhile but I heard also I can't buy car without credit scores.
So what do you think ?

Old 06-04-2017, 02:46 PM

It is going to be incredibly difficult to support a family of four on $8.75 an hour, even with tips. You are probably going to have to work two jobs for the foressable future to make ends meet, and even then it will be difficult. Once your kids are in school your wife may be able to work as well, but until then you probably aren't going to see very much of them if you want to be able to pay all your bills. That being said, millions of immigrants before you have come here and done the same thing and figured it out. But it sure isn't easy.

To buy a car, if you are paying cash, your credit doesn't matter. If you intend to take out a loan, yes you will need a credit score. Do you have money to buy a car? I highly doubt there are any busses going to Troon, and you're not going to want to walk very far in the Phoenix heat.

Can you come alone at first and have your wife and kids join you in six months? You will be able to find a place to live and get a car sorted out, and get an idea of what kind of lifestyle your bellman's salary will buy you, and if it is really a better life for your family. If I were you, I would have them stay behind with family until you have an apartment and a car and a second job at least. You have almost no hope of qualifying for an apartment for your family without a second job.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:24 PM

Also, are you set on working at Troon? You are not going to be able to afford to live anywhere near Troon, and there is no public transportation to get you there. So that means you will have to buy a car (which also means buying insurance, maintenance, and gas) which will be tough if money is tight. You might be better off finding another job in a more affordable area of the valley with better public transportation. I don't see how working there for $8.75 an hour make sense unless the tips are really, really good.

Old 06-04-2017, 04:03 PM

551 posts, read 696,089 times
Scottsdale with about 8.75 per hour???? How is this not a scam? No one can afford that.

Old 06-04-2017, 04:43 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,309,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starla View Post
It is going to be incredibly difficult to support a family of four on $8.75 an hour, even with tips. You are probably going to have to work two jobs for the foressable future to make ends meet, and even then it will be difficult. Once your kids are in school your wife may be able to work as well, but until then you probably aren't going to see very much of them if you want to be able to pay all your bills. That being said, millions of immigrants before you have come here and done the same thing and figured it out. But it sure isn't easy.

To buy a car, if you are paying cash, your credit doesn't matter. If you intend to take out a loan, yes you will need a credit score. Do you have money to buy a car? I highly doubt there are any busses going to Troon, and you're not going to want to walk very far in the Phoenix heat.

Can you come alone at first and have your wife and kids join you in six months? You will be able to find a place to live and get a car sorted out, and get an idea of what kind of lifestyle your bellman's salary will buy you, and if it is really a better life for your family. If I were you, I would have them stay behind with family until you have an apartment and a car and a second job at least. You have almost no hope of qualifying for an apartment for your family without a second job.
That sounds like a good idea. He can see how it goes before committing moving the entire family. He can work on many contacts while here, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area