Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 08:59 AM

69 posts, read 61,078 times

Advertisements

As I mentioned before in this forum that I have job opportunity in Scottsdale at troon north in one of resorts there.Now I get confirmed from the position.so I'm starting to set a plan.we should coming in the next few months as new legally immigrants.so many questions and inquiries jumping in my mind .please people of phoenix and Scottsdale help me as much as you can for these questions :-
1- Which Airport I have to fly to?I will fly from the middle East.
2-How can I rent apartment once I arrive.while it will take about 3 weeks to receive my Social security Number and more for green cards.?? what are the others options?hotels, extended hotels or what?is a letter from my employer will help?or letter from Bank that I have enough cash ??
3- Regarding the driving license how much does it take to have it ?
4-can I drive or rent a car by my home country license or international license untill I have AZ license???or not?
All what I want to be not worry about is the housing and how I can go to to my job in the troon north while I don't have car yet.
Any details will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 10:07 AM

19,468 posts, read 27,991,092 times
Get an international drivers license. That will help with the car rental that you inevitably will need.

Get a credit card. That will help with everything.

You will fly into Sky Harbor Airport. It's the only international airport in the area. I'm confident that you will be changing planes 1-2 times to make this journey. I STRONGLY suggest that you make those reservations on ONE TICKET. That way, your luggage will be checked through by the airlines (except when you reach customs). If anything goes wrong and you miss the flight, they will put you on another flight. You do not have those protections/advantages if you book on two tickets with unrelated airlines.

There are many extended stay hotels in the area. I would suggest you stay in one of them.

Question: Your employer is a resort, correct? Don't they have a room for you? I'm pretty surprised that their Human Resources dept isn't helping you out with all this stuff. That just seems 'weird' to me, and I can't help but wonder if you are being scammed somehow. . .

Old 06-02-2017, 06:10 PM

69 posts, read 61,078 times
Thank you.but I heard that the international license only works for tourists.not for permanent resident.isn't?
Yes I think booking one flight on same company is the best way to avoid any dramatic issues.
I'm not sure if the resort will provide me temporary stay or not but I have to be ready for find any extended stay hotel before I can find apartment.but could you please tell me how I can found these woners who offering their apartments for rent with an easy options??

Old 06-02-2017, 06:47 PM

7 posts, read 13,986 times
VRBO.com should have lots of condos for rent by individual owners. Best of luck!

Old 06-02-2017, 06:52 PM

550 posts, read 1,492,531 times
I also find it odd that your employer isn't helping you out with these things. They should at least help you out with things until you get your social security card and work authorization papers. Do you work for them already and are transferring to Scottsdale, or is this a new employer for you?

Many landlords and leasing companies will accept an offer of employment if you don't have pay stubs to show as proof of income. Do you have something in writing stating where you'll work and how much you'll get paid? A statement from a bank would also work, but it will probably have to be a US bank. Large leasing companies are more likely to be ok with bank statements and offer letters than private landlords. I don't think they care about your immigration status.

You can look for places to live on craigslist (phoenix.craigslist.org) or apartments.com. There are some short term options, but they tend to be pretty expensive compared to signing a 1 year lease. I would also suggest finding a hotel to stay in for the first week or two. That will give you some time to look around for an acceptable place to live, get your bank account set up, etc.

To get a drivers license, you will need your social security card. I think this applies to you: https://azdot.gov/mvd/driver-service...reign-visitors

Old 06-03-2017, 11:15 AM

Regarding international driver's license - it will do until you get your AZ DL.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:48 PM

551 posts, read 697,076 times
I would be concerned that your job isn't helping you out.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusland View Post
I would be concerned that your job isn't helping you out.
I thought so, too, and still do. But IF I recall correctly, the OP is working as a bellman in a resort. I doubt the corporation that owns the resort is going to put much time, money or effort into relocating a bellman.

OP may very well be getting scammed. I hope he is VERY VERY careful.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:52 AM

551 posts, read 697,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I thought so, too, and still do. But IF I recall correctly, the OP is working as a bellman in a resort. I doubt the corporation that owns the resort is going to put much time, money or effort into relocating a bellman.

OP may very well be getting scammed. I hope he is VERY VERY careful.
Yeah, to me it sounds like a scam. Nothing sounds correct.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:01 AM

811 posts, read 626,782 times
Someone please explain why we can't hire skilled Eastern European craftsmen for our automotive biz without jumping through a ton of hoops but a resort can bring in a bellman from another country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area