Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 10:50 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,033,977 times

Advertisements

Yet another mid-century treasure slated for demolition:

Pink Phoenix liquor store set for demolition, neighbors upset - ABC15 Arizona

I'm afraid over time Phoenix is going to lose what little character it does have. What a classic little gem from the 1950's. A place where a working stiff can walk or bike to, and seek a little relief after a hard day's work.

You know, Los Angeles's land value has certainly skyrocketed, and yet they seem to be able to hold onto their landmarks. Case in point: the Pink Elephant liquor store in Hollywood, where famous writer Charles Bukowski used to get his fix at:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1045...8i6656!6m1!1e1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 11:06 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,637,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Yet another mid-century treasure slated for demolition:

Pink Phoenix liquor store set for demolition, neighbors upset - ABC15 Arizona

I'm afraid over time Phoenix is going to lose what little character it does have. What a classic little gem from the 1950's. A place where a working stiff can walk or bike to, and seek a little relief after a hard day's work.

You know, Los Angeles's land value has certainly skyrocketed, and yet they seem to be able to hold onto their landmarks. Case in point: the Pink Elephant liquor store in Hollywood, where famous writer Charles Bukowski used to get his fix at:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1045...8i6656!6m1!1e1
Dang it all.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:15 AM

2,791 posts, read 7,488,019 times
I disagree. Here's the text of the email I sent to Mayor Stanton and Vice-mayor Pastor:

I am disappointed to learn that an online petition has been started urging city leaders to intervene to save the Melrose Liquor store from demolition. In recent years, I have been proud to support historic preservation efforts related to the David and Gladys Wright House, as well as other equally significant structures. This misguided effort to preserve an undistinguished eyesore on the Melrose Curve is, however, a case of preservationism taken too far.

The liquor store is not only an unattractive and poorly maintained building, it is also a drive-through business surrounded by surface parking. Such a design encourages driving over other modes of transport and creates a hot, unappealing space for pedestrians walking nearby. This is not the type of environment Phoenix needs in its urban core, especially near the light rail corridor and within the footprint of the Reinvent PHX initiative.

The developer that owns the land has proposed replacing the store with a pocket park. That is the type of thinking that Phoenix should embrace. Scattered green spaces amid multi-story housing is an appropriate blend for a high traffic corridor such as 7th Avenue. In evaluating this issue, I urge you to consider a long term vision of the type of city Phoenix should become rather than misguided nostalgia for buildings that are merely old rather than truly historic.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:40 PM

44,699 posts, read 61,868,751 times
That liquor store looks disgustingly run down & a neighborhood eyesore. A detriment to the area of the new buildings. If the people want a liquor store there then tear it down and ask the developer to build a new one into the corner area of the new building.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:50 PM

837 posts, read 2,340,944 times
Agreed. Choose your battles folks. Not everything old is "historic."

Old 06-15-2017, 07:41 AM

39,134 posts, read 51,432,240 times
I am not familiar with the place but saw the story on TV. The place is ugly, an eyesore. The paint is peeling, there are bars on the windows and weeds in the lot. There is nothing historic about it.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:53 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,996,840 times
It's definitely quirky. But the design is bad for walking, which we need to encourage. I'm sure I, like most people, have seen this building in passing but never thought about it til just now.

This one should be let go. It's just a pink block shack built at a time when the urban plan for this area was different.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:00 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,190,361 times
Well..on one hand, I kind of see the local resident's stand...it has been there for 50+ years and no one likes change. On the other hand, it is a 50+ year old cinder block liquor store that the land developer owns. Why, exactly, are the residents trying to save it? I would think that with the re-development going on in Melrose they would want to free up that corner for a micro-park...maybe the owner can put a small memorial for the liquor store or make pink the design color for a statue or something there to appease the opposition.

I don't know...but I disagree that it is iconic or historical.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:38 AM

54,500 posts, read 33,925,484 times
To me, I'd tear it down or at least repaint it. In my opinion, there's nothing historic about the building.

On a side note, there used to be a bowling alley in that same area (Melrose Lanes) and it was torn down a few years ago. I grew up a little further north of there (3rd Ave & Highland) and my paper route included the streets from Minnezona to the north, down to Turney or Glenrosa to the south, and Central to 7th Ave.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:29 PM

22 posts, read 19,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I disagree. Here's the text of the email I sent to Mayor Stanton and Vice-mayor Pastor:

I am disappointed to learn that an online petition has been started urging city leaders to intervene to save the Melrose Liquor store from demolition. In recent years, I have been proud to support historic preservation efforts related to the David and Gladys Wright House, as well as other equally significant structures. This misguided effort to preserve an undistinguished eyesore on the Melrose Curve is, however, a case of preservationism taken too far.

The liquor store is not only an unattractive and poorly maintained building, it is also a drive-through business surrounded by surface parking. Such a design encourages driving over other modes of transport and creates a hot, unappealing space for pedestrians walking nearby. This is not the type of environment Phoenix needs in its urban core, especially near the light rail corridor and within the footprint of the Reinvent PHX initiative.

The developer that owns the land has proposed replacing the store with a pocket park. That is the type of thinking that Phoenix should embrace. Scattered green spaces amid multi-story housing is an appropriate blend for a high traffic corridor such as 7th Avenue. In evaluating this issue, I urge you to consider a long term vision of the type of city Phoenix should become rather than misguided nostalgia for buildings that are merely old rather than truly historic.
I respectfully disagree. I have lived in this area for more than 30 years and one by one the gentrification is rolling from south to north. Soon it will be as bland as everywhere else no charm nothing that isnt stucco and red tile. I was at the meeting and feel like the developer is trying to pull a fast one on the people that live here. It may look like a run down eyesore to you but many people want it to stay. Not to mention the nice folks that work there will be out of a job. That behemoth going up behind it is already changing the skyline on the Curve, who needs a dinky pocket park? I hope Pinky's stays so i can be a customer for another 30 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: