Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 02:58 PM

149 posts, read 153,135 times

Advertisements

I told you we drove...lol. Without this thread becoming a " who's area is better" thread. I just wanted to know how you guys, other than the rent first option, went about selling your old home and searching for a new one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 03:21 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,691,607 times
List house, once under contract fly to AZ, house hunt, make an offer in AZ.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:17 PM

43 posts, read 44,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
List house, once under contract fly to AZ, house hunt, make an offer in AZ.
This is how we did it^^

Old 06-28-2017, 05:37 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,179,870 times
Wouldn't it be pretty much like you did when buying the house you are in? Except for the new house would be a purchase in AZ vs. where you are now?

Old 06-28-2017, 05:43 PM

Actually no....we were in an apartment when we purchased our home.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:53 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,179,870 times
Ah..well a Realtor should be able to help on both sides of this. Typically...you get your house "show ready" and have a Realtor list the home for sale on your local MLS. Once it sells you start packing everything up to move out by the escrow close date. Either put your stuff in storage in AZ or have a company move/store for you...then find your new home in AZ. That is going to have to go thru escrow, etc. as well so it may behoove you to have both processes going at the same time to minimize the time your furniture etc. is in storage...all the fun stuff that goes along with buying and selling a home.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:08 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,780,180 times
We don't sell, only turn them into rentals. I'd advise to not sell your current place and instead rent in Arizona and save up cash while renting... That's not everyone's cup of tea though. This option will also give you time to sell your current place as having rent + mortgage is a lot less risky than have two mortgages. However if you buy a new home in Arizona you have a lot more control over when it will be done but that still doesn't ensure you're current home will for sure be rented. I would look at the trends of your neighborhood and see how fast homes are selling that should give you some information. Just always be prepared to pay for two places... you could say that's the case in rentals too but if you run a thorough rent background check, it's a very slim chance they will default on rent payment.

I agree that renting first is wise. However if you won't budge on that then make another trip down and pin down the exact neighborhood you'd like to live in. Next, list your current house and when that is finalizing you can make your offer in AZ and base the closing of your current home off of when you can move into your new home.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:39 PM

Sounds like great advice...i just wasn't quite sure how to work it

Old 06-28-2017, 09:19 PM

576 posts, read 836,332 times
How I did it, was I bought my house in AZ before I sold my house in IA. The beauty of that was I had a house sitting and waiting for my stuff when the house in IA sold. Made for a very easy move!

However, I realize that is not an option for everyone, so in that case, I would sell the old house first, put most of your belongings in storage (using a POD or similar is ideal for this because you can just leave all your stuff in the POD until you are ready - just pay a monthly rental to them to store it). Then, rent on a month to month basis here in AZ until you find the area and house that works best for you.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:50 PM

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. The POD idea wasn't something that I thought of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area