Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 09:25 AM

975 posts, read 1,405,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
Well commercial property near the Chandler mall is still fetchin big bucks

they paid a lot of dough so they could sell dough :}
That mall isn't close to being a "dead" mall. It's just malls in general have a few problems.

1.) It's not just Amazon. Many younger shoppers (in their 20s and 30s) have less disposable income and will shop at Target, Walmart, Goodwill, or consignment stores for clothes. This also eats a lot into the mall business.

2.) Mall retailers rarely have decent prices on their items, unless you catch them during a sale.

3.) There aren't really any "unique" shops / experiences at the Chandler mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 12:02 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
That mall isn't close to being a "dead" mall. It's just malls in general have a few problems.

1.) It's not just Amazon. Many younger shoppers (in their 20s and 30s) have less disposable income and will shop at Target, Walmart, Goodwill, or consignment stores for clothes. This also eats a lot into the mall business.

2.) Mall retailers rarely have decent prices on their items, unless you catch them during a sale.

3.) There aren't really any "unique" shops / experiences at the Chandler mall.
No one said it's dead. I said it's declining. There used to be unique shops and we lost them. That's the point I'm making. As a result of losing those stores, the mall lost a lot of it's adult shoppers whose intent were to purchase items not just to hang out like teenagers. William Senoma, Pottery Barn Kids, Gap Kids, White House Black Market, Harry and David, Stride Rite and Janie and Jack were all stores targeting adults and parents.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:03 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,066,008 times
entire case studies of the rise and fall of the enclosed, weather-controlled shopping mall can be done....it's a significant part of US cultural history......we are a fickle bunch.....

here are some fun short videos.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcWcspY59HM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBmvMpZCNJg

Old 07-09-2017, 12:15 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,344,065 times
I wouldn't even call it declining. The sales per square foot as mentioned in a previous post is still a solid $657. Those are very good numbers. The national average is $341.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:09 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,691,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I wouldn't even call it declining. The sales per square foot as mentioned in a previous post is still a solid $657. Those are very good numbers. The national average is $341.

Whatever the $$ per sq/foot is, I've pretty much completely disengaged from shopping malls - discretionary spending for clothing, gadgets, appliances, many of the staples we eat & even building materials like flooring, lights & toilets for the rental properties has shifted almost entirely to Costco.

Just looked up Costco's revenue per sq foot.. $1152.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/399...tion-sams-club

Old 07-09-2017, 01:22 PM

525 posts, read 539,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
How would you know unless you knew what sales were 5-10 years ago? Just because its above the national average, doesn't mean it isn't declining.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:32 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times
When Banana Republic is replaced by Sona Chandi, a local niche store selling Indian clothing, that is not a good sign. Sona Chandi was once located in a strip mall. Later, it was in a smaller location in the Chandler Mall and had to close. Nothing against Sona Chandi, I'm sure it's a wonderful store but it's not a flagship store with any kind of national recognition like Banana Republic. You are better off doing what you can to keep Banana Republic in place than raise leasing agreements to drive them out. I would be very surprised if Sona Chandi lasts. So it's instead of a stable lineup of stores, you are going to have a lot of one and dones and replaced with more of those. That's what happened at Fiesta.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 07-09-2017 at 02:47 PM..

Old 07-09-2017, 02:33 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,344,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
How would you know unless you knew what sales were 5-10 years ago? Just because its above the national average, doesn't mean it isn't declining.
I noticed many have mentioned SanTan Village in this thread, however, sales per square foot for SanTan Village is actually lower at $522, probably because it is more seasonal as far as the amount of shoppers it gets, while Chandler Fashion Center is more consistent year-round.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:33 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,773,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Seems to me that Amazon and all other online shopping is slowly killing off these bricks & mortar "malls".
yep it's slowly happening to all malls...

Old 07-09-2017, 08:08 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,649,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
yep it's slowly happening to all malls...
Nope. Scottsdale Fashion square is planning a multi-million dollar expansion. See the link above. Kierland and the Scottsdale Quarter are booming as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area