Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 10:03 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,293,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Nope. Scottsdale Fashion square is planning a multi-million dollar expansion. See the link above. Kierland and the Scottsdale Quarter are booming as well.
Chandler Fashion Center is booming as well, as others mentioned. The mall is always packed and there's trendy high density residential and mixed use being built around it as we speak. Azriverfan presents zero data, just anecdotal evidence of a few stores closing and as we know stores close even in successful shopping centers. Also, who knew Harry and David had physical locations? I have used them to send holiday baskets to my clients in the past, I thought they were merely mail order and online so the closing of that store is a no brainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 10:17 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,674,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Chandler Fashion Center is booming as well, as others mentioned. The mall is always packed and there's trendy high density residential and mixed use being built around it as we speak. Azriverfan presents zero data, just anecdotal evidence of a few stores closing and as we know stores close even in successful shopping centers. Also, who knew Harry and David had physical locations? I have used them to send holiday baskets to my clients in the past, I thought they were merely mail order and online so the closing of that store is a no brainer.
I was responding to the person that said all malls are declining. I know nothing about the Chandler mall.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:21 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,634,065 times
The malls in the Phoenix are that are really dying (east of Central), IMO, are Paradise Valley and Superstition Springs. Chandler and Scottsdale serve a niche market that are into items not found at a general generic mall.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:58 AM

31 posts, read 30,246 times
The store closings mentioned in the OP like Banana Republic, Gap.et al are generic national chains. I don't think anyone would travel to a particular mall in order to go to Gap. Chandler/Gibert area Gap customers can shop at any of their other nearby locations and online. I would argue that Chandler mall might get more foot traffic by having more niche stores like Sona Chandi, so that might turn-out to be a better strategy by Chandler Mall.

The bottom-line is that in the current age of online shopping ascendancy, a mall needs a balance of local niche stores and national chains in order to survive. Just being a newer chain hub like San Tan Valley mall (which the OP seems to be a fan of) won't cut in the long run since they will be replaced with an even newer version at some point.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:56 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,318,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
Yeah, I guess mall management raised the lease rates and most of the stores you mentioned thought it was too expensive- so they left. Alot of gangbangers in that mall as of late as well. (Mostly in the evening)
While I don't doubt the mall has declined, I highly doubt there are actual "gangbangers" hanging out there

Old 07-10-2017, 09:41 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,709,653 times
Standalone indoor malls are choking all over the place. You know there's a problem when nobody has built an indoor mall in over a decade. The current design is smaller village style lifestyle centers (i.e. Kierland/Quarter) that are easier and faster to use than yuge suburban flat-island malls in oceans of asphalt.

There is a very interesting demographic gap between indoor and outdoor shopping consumers too.

In before But Scottsdale Fashion Square shows that malls are BOOMING!!! It's an exception. Toilet paper sales are booming too, but that doesn't mean the paper industry is worth investing in.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:51 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,674,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Standalone indoor malls are choking all over the place. You know there's a problem when nobody has built an indoor mall in over a decade. The current design is smaller village style lifestyle centers (i.e. Kierland/Quarter) that are easier and faster to use than yuge suburban flat-island malls in oceans of asphalt.

There is a very interesting demographic gap between indoor and outdoor shopping consumers too.

In before But Scottsdale Fashion Square shows that malls are BOOMING!!! It's an exception. Toilet paper sales are booming too, but that doesn't mean the paper industry is worth investing in.
No one implied that Scottsdale is an indicator of mall viability across the board.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:46 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,709,653 times
Déjà vu

Death Of Metrocenter

Different mall but I think Fiesta and Chandler were in that thread

Old 07-10-2017, 11:06 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,962,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
For comparison, SanTan Village has higher occupancy levels than Chandler Fashion Center, but has lower sales per square foot at $522.
San Tan Village has a LOT of dining, almost more dining than retail which probably lowers income/sq ft ratio

Old 07-10-2017, 11:18 AM

7,328 posts, read 12,373,202 times
BTW, of the Macerich malls in Arizona, Biltmore Fashion Park has the highest sales per square foot at $829.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area