Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 08:28 AM

54 posts, read 224,865 times

Advertisements

Every week I find a handful of IT (Network Administrator) jobs that I qualify for.

But of course we all know that landing a job before moving is very difficult.

So what I'm trying to accomplish with this thread is finding other IT people who relocated to Phoenix.

What I'd like to know is if you found a job first or just moved first then found a job? If you moved first how long did it take to land a job?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 10:23 AM

162 posts, read 543,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
Every week I find a handful of IT (Network Administrator) jobs that I qualify for.

But of course we all know that landing a job before moving is very difficult.

So what I'm trying to accomplish with this thread is finding other IT people who relocated to Phoenix.

What I'd like to know is if you found a job first or just moved first then found a job? If you moved first how long did it take to land a job?

Thanks
Interested in hearing why you think its difficult to land a job before the move?

Old 03-13-2008, 12:09 PM

264 posts, read 1,086,035 times
Me too.. I personally would rather wait about a month to get used to the city before finding work, but I'm living with my dad and do work for his company from home.

How would one land a job without a face to face interview??

Old 03-13-2008, 08:55 PM

61 posts, read 318,767 times
I have also applied for a lot of jobs in the phoenix area that I would qualify for. I have only had just a couple of people actually call me back. Everyone I have talked to is no employer would want to talk to someone that knows for sure they dont even live in Phoenix yet. At least that is the info I have gotten from other people

Old 03-13-2008, 09:38 PM

9 posts, read 21,451 times
I am planning to relocate without a job offer, limited funds, or a place to stay. Will let you know my experience if I make it.
Good luck for your job search, the market is really slow, hang in there.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:24 AM

Well, I'll just share my experience. I am a soon to be (August 08) new college grad, (master's degree in geography specializing in GIS/Remote sensing) and have applied for about 6 different jobs. Unfortunately, I have NOT received any type of feedback what-so-ever. My resume is not lacking either, with roughly 5 yrs experience.

To contrast my situation, my fiancee is soon graduating (May 08) with a bachelor degree in Nursing (Registered Nurse) and has applied for a few positions. She has received several emails, calls and information packets, encouraging relocation to the Phoenix area.

So, moral of the story is that employment opportunities are highly dependent upon career choices and experiences.

I guess that after we move to phoenix in May and I finish writing my thesis, I will be more so qualified...Let's only hope!!

Old 03-14-2008, 05:52 AM

21 posts, read 70,800 times
I just landed a job in IT as Software Engineer for a Major company with 3 phone interviews. They already offered the position (I accepted) without ever having met me. We are going to meet this weekend for the first time, they are flying me out to PHX. I start on April 5th.
Before I landed this job, over the past 2 months or so I did about 3 or 4 other phone interviews. A couple I was not a good fit for, the others we ran into salary issues, they were way too low from my current number. I am taking a pay cut with the job I landed but it is only 5K. That is a number I can live with.
Keep plugging away it can happen without having a face-to-face.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:56 AM

54 posts, read 224,865 times
I'm not worried about a face-to-face. I can fly out on short notice for an interview. It's the problem of just being contacted. Granted I haven't really applied to many jobs.
I guess it can't hurt to just start applying to everything I qualify for.
I know I have the skills and experience....I get about 3 calls a week for jobs in my area (Philly).

Old 03-14-2008, 02:08 PM

156 posts, read 609,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad4ever View Post
I am planning to relocate without a job offer, limited funds, or a place to stay. Will let you know my experience if I make it.
Good luck for your job search, the market is really slow, hang in there.
Do you mean the market is really slow in Phx or in general?

Old 03-14-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah30:18 View Post
Do you mean the market is really slow in Phx or in general?
I dont' live in the Phoenix area yet, but keep in mind that Phoenix is one of the fastest growing cities in the US. That fact alone indicates that the job market in Phx, is better then many other cities in the country. For this reason (along w/ others) we plan on relocating in a few months.

Oh yeah, just got an email from an employer today wanting to setup a phone interview next week!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area