Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 07:40 AM

576 posts, read 839,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Are there really any 55-60 year olds in those communities? I've never met anyone in their 50s who would move to one.
I bought my house in SCW at age 55 (bare minimum) and have been living here since I was 56 and love it. I have met lots of people here who are under 60. You need to get out more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 07:46 AM

576 posts, read 839,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
My parents moved at 70....out of their age restricted community. Too much whining, too many dangerously bored, too many walking around the HOA with clipboards, and of course a funeral every week. A notable achievement was the organizing of a group in opposition to a concert pavilion, which was on the other side of a ten lane highway, and had predated their HOA by 10 years. Half of them couldn't hear it if they had to. The only problems with theft only pointed to the 24 hour guard gate. The club house hemoraged money, and the golf course staff only cared about their own rounds and felt like they had a blank check. Last I heard, the golf course operators turned down an offer of one Dollar per month. YMMV.
You have to be VERY careful which one you live in. From what I am hearing, there is a drastic difference between Sun City West and Sun City Grand (which are both Del Webb communities separated only by a highway). SCG is much more restrictive on their rules. Not that that is a bad thing, just people need to evaluate what kind of environment they want to live in. For a time, I had considered Sun City, TX, but decided against it because of several complaints about how strict it is there.

Most 55+ communities are self governed, so there are going to be significant differences between them. It behooves any potential resident to understand those differences before committing to one.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:58 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,999,430 times
A few years before they bought, they were visiting me in Phoenix, and visited SCG after having lunch with old friends who lived at SC. They were most impressed with SCG, as they wanted a new build, but really liked SC, too. It was about 130K for a new build in SCG, in 1996. At age, 45, I found myself to be very impressed with SC Summerlin...a perfect size villa was 100k during the crash. I was kind of in my hate blight stage of life, and boy, that neighborhood was more than top shape....and it wasn't cheesy new build looking like lots of LV and PHX. I like Green Valley with much better climate than PHX...but those dang transfer fees...I am about as keen on sharing a pool with kids in diapers as I am sharing a pool with adults in diapers. Good place to be a golfoholic...and I think they have vans going g to Nogales for duty free booze and prescriptions.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:28 AM

483 posts, read 669,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Are there really any 55-60 year olds in those communities? I've never met anyone in their 50s who would move to one.
Seriously? No...seriously?

I would say probably 30% of our community is 60 or under. They even have a "quota" of a certain percentage of people can be 45 if they build new construction. Our neighbors across the street are both under 50.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:12 PM

221 posts, read 194,288 times
Don't let your birthday dictate your zip code. People jump streets for a continued downsize or move, in the same community, for additional square feet. These are not news making events. It happens.
Feel confident in shedding the winter tundra and moving along to a climate that better fits your current desire. More competitors on the courts spell more physical group fun. For everyone.
As this is a means to quench a lust you just go for it. Score well and often.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:23 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,811,899 times
My wife and I snowbird between Cape Cod and Green Valley. My main thought I’d like to share with you is, every community will be different, as will every neighborhood/Home Owners Association will vary. The only way to determine whether you’re comfortable with the area and people is to spend some time there.

We bought our place after about three years of staying winters in Green Valley. Turned out to be a great choice, with lots of really nice people. We started going when in our late sixties and I’ll be seventy-two in a few days.

I suspect the trick of enjoying wherever you wind up is to become involved in the recreational options available. That way you’ll meet lots of new people, virtually all of whom have the same concerns as you in regard whether they made an intelligent lifestyle choice or not!

Since your son and his family live in Paradise Valley, it would be most logical for you to explore that part of AZ. I’m sure you’ll be pleased with your final decision.

Rich

Old 08-28-2017, 04:21 PM

945 posts, read 2,533,975 times
Old at your ages? Many people are still working at those ages . A few communities by us: Pebble Creek, Canta Mia, and Victory. There are many throughout the valley-- enjoy looking!

Old 08-29-2017, 04:37 PM

6,359 posts, read 4,999,700 times
Quote:
My husband and I have visited there for the past 10 years as our son and his family live in Paradise Valley. We have finally decided on an active age community-Trilogy at Vistancia- and are pondering a new build vs a resale.
I suggest you consider the following:

1 - Avoid HOAs. Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither. (Paraphrasing Ben Franklin.)

2 - I'd go with a resale. Unless you can live here while something is being built you won't be able to check it out during the construction and you'll be hassling with the builder for a year after you move in trying to get warranty work. Plenty of nice modern homes available for sale.

3 - Distance. Vistancia is a long drive from anywhere. About an hour each way to the Paradise Valley area and who knows how far to any medical facilities that you might be concerned with.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:32 AM

8,898 posts, read 20,083,361 times
I'd be more worried that at your age, you are too young.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:33 PM

16 posts, read 13,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkypjy View Post
Hello-I have posted a few things over the last couple of years and have appreciated all the help and advice offered to me regarding retirement in Arizona. My husband and I have visited there for the past 10 years as our son and his family live in Paradise Valley. We have finally decided on an active age community-Trilogy at Vistancia- and are pondering a new build vs a resale. We are both healthy and active in our community here in the midwest and have just recently become addicted to Pickleball. My question is simple.....we are 69 and soon to be 67, respectively and wonder if we are too old to consider such a lifestyle change and whether we would be on the older side of people moving to a 55+ community. Any thoughts on that would be so appreciated. While we know that any age is welcome, we are somewhat concerned that most people make this retirement move at a much younger age. Thanks, in advance, for any feedback!
I actively work in this community and visit V's Taproom often (if you haven't been there for lunch or dinner yet- you must check it out) and the age range is a wide variety. It sounds as if you are both active retirees and will very much enjoy this community. If you have any other questions about living in Trilogy- please feel free to reach out to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area