Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 04:19 PM

48 posts, read 82,238 times

Advertisements

Hello-I have posted a few things over the last couple of years and have appreciated all the help and advice offered to me regarding retirement in Arizona. My husband and I have visited there for the past 10 years as our son and his family live in Paradise Valley. We have finally decided on an active age community-Trilogy at Vistancia- and are pondering a new build vs a resale. We are both healthy and active in our community here in the midwest and have just recently become addicted to Pickleball. My question is simple.....we are 69 and soon to be 67, respectively and wonder if we are too old to consider such a lifestyle change and whether we would be on the older side of people moving to a 55+ community. Any thoughts on that would be so appreciated. While we know that any age is welcome, we are somewhat concerned that most people make this retirement move at a much younger age. Thanks, in advance, for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 04:36 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
It may depend on the community. In mine you would be older as a new person but about average age overall.

Does it really matter? I don't understand your concern. You will be the same age if you don't move. I say come play Pickleball, enjoy your new community and new friends! Quit overthinking this and start your new life!

Old 08-25-2017, 05:26 PM

576 posts, read 831,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
It may depend on the community. In mine you would be older as a new person but about average age overall.

Does it really matter? I don't understand your concern. You will be the same age if you don't move. I say come play Pickleball, enjoy your new community and new friends! Quit overthinking this and start your new life!
Agree!

Old 08-25-2017, 06:52 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,610,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkypjy View Post
Hello-I have posted a few things over the last couple of years and have appreciated all the help and advice offered to me regarding retirement in Arizona. My husband and I have visited there for the past 10 years as our son and his family live in Paradise Valley. We have finally decided on an active age community-Trilogy at Vistancia- and are pondering a new build vs a resale. We are both healthy and active in our community here in the midwest and have just recently become addicted to Pickleball. My question is simple.....we are 69 and soon to be 67, respectively and wonder if we are too old to consider such a lifestyle change and whether we would be on the older side of people moving to a 55+ community. Any thoughts on that would be so appreciated. While we know that any age is welcome, we are somewhat concerned that most people make this retirement move at a much younger age. Thanks, in advance, for any feedback!
Wonder no more! Do it! There is no better time like the present for you to begin a new life. You'll thank yourselves over and over. Come and live here in Arizona. We welcome you!

Old 08-26-2017, 12:17 PM

48 posts, read 82,238 times
Such great answers!! Thank you for making my day.....I need to surround myself with people with such positive attitudes!

Old 08-27-2017, 12:41 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkypjy View Post
My question is simple.....we are 69 and soon to be 67, respectively and wonder if we are too old to consider such a lifestyle change and whether we would be on the older side of people moving to a 55+ community. Any thoughts on that would be so appreciated. While we know that any age is welcome, we are somewhat concerned that most people make this retirement move at a much younger age. Thanks, in advance, for any feedback!

A few years ago, a lady on the bocce court asked me how old I was. When I told her I was 54, she says, "I just turned 85 yesterday and i can still whoop you young kids."

In most 55+ communities, age really does not mean that much. I know 80 year olds who play tennis and can run a seven minute mile. It seems like it is much more important on the outside.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:39 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,359,230 times
"and are pondering a new build vs a resale"...that would be my only hesitation in my senior years.....pondering a new build and the headaches that are associated with it....but hey, to each his own.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 08-27-2017, 05:50 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,470,515 times
Are there really any 55-60 year olds in those communities? I've never met anyone in their 50s who would move to one.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:52 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Are there really any 55-60 year olds in those communities? I've never met anyone in their 50s who would move to one.
You must not know many people or know nothing about a 55+ Active Adult community.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:18 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,970,654 times
My parents moved at 70....out of their age restricted community. Too much whining, too many dangerously bored, too many walking around the HOA with clipboards, and of course a funeral every week. A notable achievement was the organizing of a group in opposition to a concert pavilion, which was on the other side of a ten lane highway, and had predated their HOA by 10 years. Half of them couldn't hear it if they had to. The only problems with theft only pointed to the 24 hour guard gate. The club house hemoraged money, and the golf course staff only cared about their own rounds and felt like they had a blank check. Last I heard, the golf course operators turned down an offer of one Dollar per month. YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area