Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 08:01 AM

43 posts, read 48,846 times

Advertisements

Join a kickball league. They have a league in North Phoenix and central Scottsdale. You can join as a free agent and be assigned to a team. It's a very social environment, so it'll be easy to meet people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 02:01 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,635,505 times
Another vote for MeetUp. You can find groups with all kinds of interests. I'm not even there yet (3 weeks to go) and I already have about 5 groups to checkout.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:05 PM

537 posts, read 488,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcheese11 View Post
Join a kickball league. They have a league in North Phoenix and central Scottsdale. You can join as a free agent and be assigned to a team. It's a very social environment, so it'll be easy to meet people.
I moved here from California a few months ago.

There are a million social sports leagues. I play with Phoenix Fray (phxfray.com) as well as Arizona Sports League Kickball. Phoenix Fray also offers bowling, sand volleyball skeeball and cornhole

ASL Kickball has one in more north-er Scottsdale starting in a couple weeks:

https://www.facebook.com/ASLKickball...type=3&theater

I feel like ASL has the best value because you get eight weeks of doubleheaders for $55. The other ones it is a lot less playing time.

There's also Dodgeball with

Phoenix Dodgeball - http://phoenixdodgeball.com/
Skyline Dodgeball - https://www.facebook.com/SkylineDodgeball/
NDO - https://www.facebook.com/NationalDodgeballOrganization/

Icon Social Sports has sand volleyball four nights a week in Norther Scottsdale. - https://www.facebook.com/iconsportsaz/

Bottom line, Phoenix has a gigantic social sports scene. And that doesn't even include leagues that are run by the cities.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:58 AM

10 posts, read 22,952 times
Thank you all for the great responses! I didn't explain this well but this was definitely meant to be more of a "what are popular ways to meet people in phoenix" vs "help I have no social skills so how do I meet people in general" so I really appreciate the phoenix specific advice

Old 08-31-2017, 07:57 AM

537 posts, read 488,088 times
Quote:
"what are popular ways to meet people in phoenix" vs "help I have no social skills so how do I meet people in general"
That is going to depend on what you are personally interested in. There are over 4 million people in the PHX metro. I know lots of people do bar trivia.

What did you enjoy doing with your free time where you lived before? Chances are whatever you enjoyed doing elsewhere, you could probably find people who enjoy the same thing here.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:37 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,306,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollEMurph View Post
Single young professional here, relocating to North Scottsdale from my hometown of Kansas City. My family is spread out throughout the Scottsdale/Phoenix area, and I'll be staying with the rents until I decide where I want to end up permanently (because being 26 and living at home is a huge score right?).

I've heard from several friends that have moved to the valley after college that it can be REALLY hard to meet people, and I'm not really setting myself up for success since I'm living (hopefully temporarily) at home and work remotely. Suggestions from other transplants on the best ways to get involved, build up a personal and professional network and find some friends/dating?
What part of north Scottsdale? If you're going to be living somewhere like the Kierland area, which could be considered north Scottsdale, there would be a lot more opportunities for meeting people. If you'll be living in a single family home in a subdivision, you'll probably feel more isolated ... especially if it's in far north Scottsdale which still looks & feels very far flung. I'd suggest Old Town, which would be a much better location for social interaction than much of north Scottsdale.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:35 PM

2,076 posts, read 1,654,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollEMurph View Post
Thank you all for the great responses! I didn't explain this well but this was definitely meant to be more of a "what are popular ways to meet people in phoenix" vs "help I have no social skills so how do I meet people in general" so I really appreciate the phoenix specific advice
I recommend outdoor activities locally. Popular hiking/jogging areas include Papago Park, Camelback Mtn, Piestewa Peak, etc. Just don't underestimate the heat. But those hikes are very popular once adaptation and acclimatization have taken place for many Phoenicians (native or transplant).

Old 09-03-2017, 03:14 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,306,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I recommend outdoor activities locally. Popular hiking/jogging areas include Papago Park, Camelback Mtn, Piestewa Peak, etc. Just don't underestimate the heat. But those hikes are very popular once adaptation and acclimatization have taken place for many Phoenicians (native or transplant).
"Don't underestimate the heat" are the key words! Even in the spring & fall, it can still be hot enough on some days to where heat stroke can set in if a person isn't prepared. I personally don't recommend hikes on these local brown hills unless his personal goal is strictly to meet other people. The best hikes are the natural areas outside of the Valley, especially in the high country where it's cooler, less crowded, much more scenic, and the air is a lot cleaner & fresher!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area