Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2017, 01:50 PM

10 posts, read 22,313 times

Advertisements

Single young professional here, relocating to North Scottsdale from my hometown of Kansas City. My family is spread out throughout the Scottsdale/Phoenix area, and I'll be staying with the rents until I decide where I want to end up permanently (because being 26 and living at home is a huge score right?).

I've heard from several friends that have moved to the valley after college that it can be REALLY hard to meet people, and I'm not really setting myself up for success since I'm living (hopefully temporarily) at home and work remotely. Suggestions from other transplants on the best ways to get involved, build up a personal and professional network and find some friends/dating?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 01:55 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollEMurph View Post
Single young professional here, relocating to North Scottsdale from my hometown of Kansas City. My family is spread out throughout the Scottsdale/Phoenix area, and I'll be staying with the rents until I decide where I want to end up permanently (because being 26 and living at home is a huge score right?).

I've heard from several friends that have moved to the valley after college that it can be REALLY hard to meet people, and I'm not really setting myself up for success since I'm living (hopefully temporarily) at home and work remotely. Suggestions from other transplants on the best ways to get involved, build up a personal and professional network and find some friends/dating?
You know, I hear this a lot too and although I'm no transplant, I don't understand it. This is a huge city of people everywhere you look. You can't get away from people there are so many of them. Surely you can meet them?

Old 08-26-2017, 02:02 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times
I had to lol about being 26 and living at home, but for real it's all good, I'm sure you'll figure things out and make a better decision then rushing into a decision in a city you don't know anything about.

Whoever told you making friends here is hard must be crazy, the city is literally full of transplants. If you're bored, just ask the person next to where they're from and you'll get a conversation going just like that. I find that the people who claim making friends are hard tend to not really try that hard, I find it incredibly easy here. I was a transplant to Phoenix back in the early 2000's, it's been a while now but keep in mind that patience is key. You're not going to establish a huge base of BFF's over night, it takes a while (like years) but generally speaking it's not that hard here.

Since you're working from home you should for sure find some groups for whatever activities you like, meetup.com is super active around here and I made a lot of hiking and biking friends when I first moved here through that. It's a pretty natural evolution to go hiking, then grab dinner/drinks, and before you know it you've got a regular routine going on. If you happen to be into hiking or the outdoors, you'll meet a lot of like minded folks here. Hiking is practically a religion here, I see the same folks regularly on the trails and know quite a few on a first name basis now.

Besides the meetup groups I've made friends at the smaller gyms that are more class oriented than just a big LA Fitness type place. Also, go volunteer at whatever catches your interest- the animal shelter, habitat for humanity, feed my starving children and so on... I've met friends through these events as well. There's a ton of on-going ASU programs as well, not sure what your professional career is but being next to the largest school in the country you can find just about anything and will likely meet a lot of friends at the classes think arts, cooking, history, culture, science and so on...

The only thing that may get old is living in North Scottsdale, I find that area tends to be more family/retirement focused then say central Phoenix, Tempe or Old Town Scottsdale. I'm sure you'll want to venture south after you get more established.

Hopefully that helps, I really have no idea who would have a hard time making friends here. We made friends with some folks we sat next to at a comedy club a few weeks ago, now were all going to a concert together next month...

Old 08-26-2017, 02:11 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
You know, I hear this a lot too and although I'm no transplant, I don't understand it. This is a huge city of people everywhere you look. You can't get away from people there are so many of them. Surely you can meet them?
Native Phoenicians won't make friends with new people. You have to make friends with other transplants who more often than not leave too.

Trust me, I know this personally,

Old 08-26-2017, 02:34 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Native Phoenicians won't make friends with new people. You have to make friends with other transplants who more often than not leave too.

As a native Phoenician I call doubt onto this. You make friends at school, work, the bar, the club, wherever. It's not like we have native tattooed on us. I usually assume people are transplants anyway from California/Midwest.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:

Pretty sweeping claim here, I'm a transplant and I can tell you I've got at least 10 native friends including the best man in my wedding and his wife.

If everyone is leaving then how is our population continually growing? We are closing in on 5 million people now!

Old 08-26-2017, 06:53 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Pretty sweeping claim here, I'm a transplant and I can tell you I've got at least 10 native friends including the best man in my wedding and his wife.

If everyone is leaving then how is our population continually growing? We are closing in on 5 million people now!
Lots of people are consistently leaving.

It's not that Native arizonans won't make friends but won't actively make them or put in lots of effort to do so. Like classes or whatever. In other words if it doesn't come natural they won't force it, because they already have a support system here.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:55 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,300,772 times
Quote:

That's a generalization and more often than not likely false. Must have had a bad day or night? LOL.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:57 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,300,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post

It's like the Yogi Berra saying: "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

Old 08-27-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
It's like the Yogi Berra saying: "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."
Lol, yeah no kidding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area