Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 03:30 AM

383 posts, read 634,421 times

Advertisements

Which areas are the most desirable to live? Is it in the suburbs? Phoenix seems to be so spread out that it seems like a suburb to me. I'm originally from NYC, and now I live in Tampa, FL.
After living through Irma, I don't want to have to live through another one. Unfortunately, living in, Florida you can't avoid it. I'm looking at my options.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 04:26 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markeg View Post
Which areas are the most desirable to live? Is it in the suburbs? Phoenix seems to be so spread out that it seems like a suburb to me. I'm originally from NYC, and now I live in Tampa, FL.
After living through Irma, I don't want to have to live through another one. Unfortunately, living in, Florida you can't avoid it. I'm looking at my options.
Thank you!
You need to provide more information such as what's your budget, need a job, have kids in school, want to be near the airport, want to be near the action, etc.?

I like Paradise Valley & Scottsdale and they are also expensive. Chandler and Gilbert are very nice options that are bit less expensive...

Old 09-13-2017, 05:12 AM

383 posts, read 634,421 times
Approx $1800 to rent budget. No kids, like to be close to all amenities such as Stores, good restaurants, the arts. Would have to get job there. Trying to avoid traffic nightmares like there are here.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:21 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,132 times
Quote:
Approx $1800 to rent budget. No kids, like to be close to all amenities such as Stores, good restaurants, the arts. Would have to get job there. Trying to avoid traffic nightmares like there are here.
Check out Old Town Scottsdale. Note however that you need to live close to wherever you work so dependent on getting a job in that area.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:34 AM

1,948 posts, read 2,297,831 times
the 1000 block of north 3 rd ave just south of the Japanese friendship garden near the light rail stop , between central and 3rd ave north of Roosevelt . A very cool urban area ....

https://www.google.com/maps/place/10...4d-112.0743181

Old 09-13-2017, 02:08 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,175,351 times
To answer your question, you have lots of options. North Central is pretty cool. Biltmore area is great, Old Town Scottsdale is cool as well. If you want something a little more suburban, Kierland is a nice area. You can find some nice upscale apts/condos in all the above-listed areas. Or if you want a small single family you can check out one of the historic neighborhoods.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:57 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,642,664 times
Quote:
Thank you!
I left Florida last February and moved back to my home state of AZ. I had lived in FL for about 14 years - mostly in Tallahassee. I also lived 1 year in South FL (Ft. Lauderdale). I know Florida very well. That I-75 has flooding from Jacksonville that may close the stretch near Gainesville as I understand it. It looks tough back there from all the news.

I am very thankful I left. Phoenix is great. Scottsdale is the "rich" side of town, but I just rent an apartment and work in data warehouse testing. A lot of options exist in the city. Popular areas for newcomers include Tempe, Chandler, Mesa, Surprise, etc.

I found my job on dice.com. I work in software testing. I have graduate degrees now from both UF and FSU (LOL). I took a few online courses from USF to supplement credits when I was at FSU. I am very familiar with Tampa and the USF campus.

I'd recommend Phoenix if you want a healthy job market and casual place with a yuppie setting (LOL). Just make sure you get a job first. I interviewed via Skype from Florida to get back here. I love it. I grew up in AZ. It's great to be home.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:43 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
the 1000 block of north 3 rd ave just south of the Japanese friendship garden near the light rail stop , between central and 3rd ave north of Roosevelt . A very cool urban area ....

https://www.google.com/maps/place/10...4d-112.0743181
Those condos start at $400k for a one bedroom place. Not affordable whatsoever. You want two or three bedrooms you are looking at close to a million.

It's nice I agree, just not for the average person.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:47 AM

1,948 posts, read 2,297,831 times
I remember when they were building the condos where the FEZ is . the Fair trade cafe is the coolest coffee shop in the same building with a fountain in the courtyard near the parking garage. Always wanted to live there. Portland st and N 1st ave. Yes not for the average Joe. with average pay and an average life. with an average 401K , average aspirations, average IQ, average ... I would take the light rail clear across town early in the morning on Saturday just to have a coffee and rub elbows with above average people and sometimes it would rattle their jewelry ....

Old 09-17-2017, 06:20 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
[mod cut]

As far as the "best" place to live in phoenix metro, the best advice is to live within 30 minutes or less of where you work. Which means getting a job before you move - which is ALWAYS good advice.

Frankly, I think you're reacting to a recent, frightening event. That's understandable. But don't do something so quickly that you're gonna feel stupid later. Take a breath, do some research, then move.

Do you own a house in Florida? If so, be prepared to compete with all those other Florididian's who want to run away as quickly as they can.

Last edited by volosong; 09-25-2017 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: orphaned comment, reference to a deleted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area