Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 01:29 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,990,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
For many, cars wouldn't start because computers flooded the fuel injection system
Computers wont flood an engine unless the user kept cycling the key on and off, at which point the car not starting would be user error.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 05:17 AM

9,830 posts, read 11,237,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Computers wont flood an engine unless the user kept cycling the key on and off, at which point the car not starting would be user error.
What you described is the more common problem with flooding (ask a Canadian Starting engines in cold weather | The Chronicle Herald ) and has nothing to do with the computers. You crank some and praying that the car starts. In 3-4 seconds, you hear the cranking power slow to the point of knowing it won't pop-off. Then you try again. Copy, paste, repeat. Now, you get someone to give you a jump with plenty of crank and it still won't start. that's where you learned you flooded it. This is much rarer in 2017 because engines are smaller and battery CCA's are higher. You increase your odds of starting a car by using synthetic blend oils too.

Years ago, when my car had to be pushed in the bay to warm up it flooded. The GM dealership said they need to update the ECM "look-up table". Because at fridged cold temps, the tables used a non-ideal air fuel mixture and was the source of flooding. As an odd cold weather experience with cold temp cars (-25 F), the back plastic of my car literally shattered or had multiple cracks (all kinds of spiderwebs cracks and a couple pieces that fell out) by slowly pushing the car with a flat blade of a toe truck. Really. I suppose you are going to tell me that cannot happen either. If it matters, that was covered under warranty. Yea, it was a POS design. Certainly engine flooding caused by my computer is a much more rare event than my 1st paragraph. The problem was fixed by firmware. So unless the tech lied and there was no look up table updates, then I guess you know more than him. So I will yield to your expertise.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 09-22-2017 at 05:29 AM..

Old 09-22-2017, 09:42 AM

872 posts, read 1,003,265 times
Happy Fall!!!

Old 09-22-2017, 10:26 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,990,007 times
Quote:
You crank some and praying that the car starts. In 3-4 seconds, you hear the cranking power slow to the point of knowing it won't pop-off. Then you try again. Copy, paste, repeat. Now, you get someone to give you a jump with plenty of crank and it still won't start. that's where you learned you flooded it.
Uhhh, that's exactly what I was saying. When you're constantly keying off and back on, you're just dumping more fuel into the cylinders, and it will flood. If you're just cranking repeatedly without keying on/off, your battery better have good cca rating! I wouldn't go any lower than 750 cca in a place like MN.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:29 PM

9,830 posts, read 11,237,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Uhhh, that's exactly what I was saying. When you're constantly keying off and back on, you're just dumping more fuel into the cylinders, and it will flood. If you're just cranking repeatedly without keying on/off, your battery better have good cca rating! I wouldn't go any lower than 750 cca in a place like MN.
Hence the phrase "
Quote:
What you described is the more common problem with flooding (ask a Canadian Starting engines in cold weather | The Chronicle Herald ) and has nothing to do with the computers.
Then I went on to say "
Quote:
... The GM dealership said they need to update the ECM "look-up table". Because at fridged cold temps, the tables used a non-ideal air fuel mixture and was the source of flooding.
Meaning, it the computer (firmware look-up tables) was the cause of the flooding.

In short, I agreed with what you said but gave you specifics why (RARELY) it has happened because "the computer".

Old 09-22-2017, 01:38 PM

50 posts, read 55,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Monsoon is over. The clouds we see today are from a low lingering off the coast not typical monsoon stuff. It will move through tonite. More cold (cool) fronts are moving through after that. Finally! (but it's the heart of hurricane remnant season, so we could get rain from that). I wouldn't write the 100s off just yet either, though they will be fewer and fewer. The days are getting short too. I got up this am at 430 to do some outdoor work and it was pitch black. I was surprised how late the sun is now rising.
Seriously?? Wow what a difference a 10 hour drive makes... in Salt Lake City the sun comes up around 7am right now. And in the heart of the summer... 6:15am.

I'm from Seattle where it is the land of the midnight sun, so this will take some getting used to once we move to the Phoenix area...

Old 09-22-2017, 01:45 PM

6,797 posts, read 5,110,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBear12 View Post
Seriously?? Wow what a difference a 10 hour drive makes... in Salt Lake City the sun comes up around 7am right now. And in the heart of the summer... 6:15am.

I'm from Seattle where it is the land of the midnight sun, so this will take some getting used to once we move to the Phoenix area...

We are in the land of no daylight savings time!

Old 09-22-2017, 04:21 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,333,575 times
Quote:
Hence the phrase "

Then I went on to say " Meaning, it the computer (firmware look-up tables) was the cause of the flooding.

In short, I agreed with what you said but gave you specifics why (RARELY) it has happened because "the computer".
None of this has anything to do with this topic. Let's "steer" this discussion back in the right direction! (see what I did there? )

Old 09-23-2017, 09:32 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,680,307 times
Back on topic, Sky Harbor dropped below 70° this morning for the first time since 6/14. Normal low this morning was still 76°, so way below average

Old 09-23-2017, 09:53 AM

39,125 posts, read 51,388,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Back on topic, Sky Harbor dropped below 70° this morning for the first time since 6/14. Normal low this morning was still 76°, so way below average
50s at my place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area