Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2017, 10:33 PM

40 posts, read 79,695 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all,

Moving from a southern state to Arizona! Buying a home in Scottsdale. We have a 6 year old and 1 year old.

Not planning on a private school and instead hoping to get my son into a good public/charter school for his 1st grade. We got few homes selected in North Scottsdale and Pinnacle Peak to visit along with touring the district's schools.

What are some reputable elementary charter schools in Scottsdale? I tried Basis and they only accept application for grade 4, in 2018-19

We are in love with this home that seems to only have an upgraded electronic heating system/gas stove. Is that going to be a big deal in terms of monthly cost? Is electronic heating system common in AZ?

Water softener: Is that something I should be looking for a home to be equipped with?

On average how much is the cost of maintaning a spa/pool per month?

What would you say is the average monthly water and electronic bill for a 3500-4000sq home?

Any common problems with homes in range of $800-900k built in late 80s or early 90s that I should be aware of?

Best effective way to keep the scorpion, spiders and snakes away from outdoor/indoor if the home?

Thank you for advising!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 03:43 AM

40 posts, read 79,695 times
Oops, I meant the home has ELECTRIC HEATER!!!

Old 11-16-2017, 05:26 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,647,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annasttasiaaa View Post
Hey y'all,

Moving from a southern state to Arizona! Buying a home in Scottsdale. We have a 6 year old and 1 year old.

Not planning on a private school and instead hoping to get my son into a good public/charter school for his 1st grade. We got few homes selected in North Scottsdale and Pinnacle Peak to visit along with touring the district's schools.

What are some reputable elementary charter schools in Scottsdale? I tried Basis and they only accept application for grade 4, in 2018-19

We are in love with this home that seems to only have an upgraded electronic heating system/gas stove. Is that going to be a big deal in terms of monthly cost? Is electronic heating system common in AZ?

Water softener: Is that something I should be looking for a home to be equipped with?

On average how much is the cost of maintaning a spa/pool per month?

What would you say is the average monthly water and electronic bill for a 3500-4000sq home?

Any common problems with homes in range of $800-900k built in late 80s or early 90s that I should be aware of?

Best effective way to keep the scorpion, spiders and snakes away from outdoor/indoor if the home?

Thank you for advising!
I moved from Tallahassee, FL back to my home state of AZ last spring. I sold a home and moved out ASAP for a new job. It was a lot of work. After setting up the house for the sale transition, I drove for 2.5 days to Phoenix via I-10. It was very rigorous physically and mentally. But I made it.

I am a mechanical and software engineer. My recommendation is based on experience with
renewable energy. I would recommend looking into passive or active solar thermal designs if you are
going to spend that much on a home. Arizona is dry and gets plenty of sunlight. The thermally
efficient designs are more advanced and may cost a little more, but over time the engineering advancements can save money. In the midst of the typical Scottsdale neighborhood, I often
see one home with solar panels in a cluster of homes that does not. As a mechanical engnieer
educated at both FSU and UF, I see those homes as more efficient. I also worked a few summer internships at the US Department of Energy, so I know there is a legitimate scientific basis
for saving money on energy with advanced solar thermal designs.
https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy04osti/35297.pdf

Solar energy can definitely save money on the monthly payments. The "catch" is a resale on the market
value. It would take an experienced realtor to market the value effectively. But if you plan on
staying in that home for a very long time, then it would be worth it in my opinion as a mechanical
engineer with a dual background in software.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/mone...stem/30296123/

As for pest control, Scottsdale is next to the desert foothills so there are pests out there:
centipedes, scorpions, tarantulas, rattlesnakes, the "rare" Gila monster lizard, etc. I have
seen javelina (similar to wild boar but not exactly a boar) on Shea Blvd. But pest control is
very effective here. I have not seen any centipede, black widow spider, tarantula, etc. in my
neighborhood. You can definitely see them at an isolated wooden home far beyond the outskirts,
but not in upscale Scottsdale.

As a southerner, you will probably appreciate this - Scottsdale has "Chick-fil-A". When I moved to
Florida in 2002, I heard of it but did not bother eating there for years until I had a southern girlfriend.
She was a blonde southern bells. Then I learned to appreciate it. I sometimes go there for
breakfast. There are many southerners in Phoenix from all across the SEC/ACC conference.
They also started playing Pac-12 teams more often - so you can see the in town sometimes for
various sports against Arizona State or U. of Arizona.

As for schools, the public schools are very high quality. There are also great private schools in the area too.
The sports programs are also very excellent. When I lived in South FL for a year back in 2012-2013 I
watched HS football games: Miami Central, Miami Northwestern, St. Thomas Aquinas, Manatee, etc. I
quickly learned St. Thomas was usually the best HS in the state football playoffs in FL. They routinely beat
the other HS. Miami Central also beat the best HS in Alabama - Hoover. But St. Thomas Aquinas came to
Peoria, AZ in September and lost to an AZ HS Champion. So sports programs in Phoenix have gotten very
good. Just make sure to start the kids early - it would be too hard to catch up to the others in HS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area