Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2011, 12:28 PM

39,109 posts, read 51,340,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
One thing I don't understand is I thought you have to be going 11 mph over to get a photo radar tickets. They must have changed it.
That was on the freeway cams where the limit was 65-75. I don't know that you get the same cushion in the cities. Maybe you should not, given the limits are lower. Going through an intersection at 10 mph over is probably a more risky thing than doing 75 in a 65 on the 101.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 10:18 PM

3 posts, read 20,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggyaz View Post
El Mirage Red light and speed camera
If you didn't know El Mirage AZ had a contractor install a red light camera at Grand Ave and Primrose Lane. It is a 6 lane divided highway and the speed limit it 45mph which is a joke for a newly developed highway.

The equipement was installed in Aug 2011 just a few months ago and was well published in the local newspapers and TV.

Well yesterday I received a letter from El Mirage/ Contract company that I was driving " Speed geater than reasonable and prudent" 52 in a 45. They have some type of sensor in the pavement at the intersection that can do speed as well as red light runners. I didn't run a red light.

The fine is $232 which is outragious! The picture taken is me but I think I may fight the ticket.

I'm thinking about requesting all the equipment documents, maintenance documents, a list of downtimes and how they can prove the accuracy of the equipment. When was it last calibrated on the day I drove by.

Has anyone been to court in El Mirage and would I have any chance in getting my ticket dismissed on the defense of maintenance, non-calibration, etc?

Has this happened to you?
Did you pay the fine?
Did you go to school for $193
Or did you fight it? Did you win or lose?

Here is one of the pictures they sent me. I'm in the right hand lane and I think the other 2 got tickets for both speeding and red light running.

Thanks

Made the decision to take the defensive dring class and pay the costs.
Won't get points on my record and Insurance campany won'y know. $194 this way and the school only gets $34 of it and the rest goes to El Mirage and the state and $45 to the company that has the photo radar.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:17 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,597,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
One thing I don't understand is I thought you have to be going 11 mph over to get a photo radar ticket. They must have changed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That was on the freeway cams where the limit was 65-75....
Right, that rule only applied to state freeways, which is no longer in force since they took down the freeway photo system. Cities don't have to follow it with their systems.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 8,279 times
Has anyone here avoided the process server after getting a photo radar ticket in El Mirage? Or, did you throw the ticket away and then did get served? How many times did they come to your house? My sister got a ticket and she is trying to hide from being served. I told her they will just harass her to death, but she doesn't think so.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:16 PM

19,456 posts, read 27,916,217 times
Oh not again. (where's the emoticon for banging my head against the wall)

Tartessa, I'd suggest you just stay out of it until the process server finds her and she has to pay a bigger fine and pay for service. Then, you can have the pleasure of saying "I told you so." Until then, keep the family peace.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:49 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,060,502 times
El Mirage has stepped up the photo truck lately. I got a "courtesy" ticket in the mail about 2 weeks ago advising me to slow it down. Lesson learned. I either stay out of El Mirage or if I have to go through I do the speed limit no matter what the people around me are doing.
Surprise has had their SUV out quite a bit as well but at least they advertise in the paper where it's going to be parked.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:57 AM

824 posts, read 2,339,007 times
Quote:
"Well yesterday I received a letter from El Mirage/ Contract company that I was driving " Speed geater than reasonable and prudent" 52 in a 45. They have some type of sensor in the pavement at the intersection that can do speed as well as red light runners. I didn't run a red light."
Unreal. 52 mph is both a reasonable and prudent speed on that stretch of Grand Avenue. As generally a slower than average driver, I disliked the cameras mostly based on privacy concerns and the whole racing/screeching halt scenarios that I have sometimes witnessed at the red light camera areas.

But come on, if you feel the need to dig into people's pockets and play big brother, at least be reasonable about it. One more reason to avoid El Mirage. Oh, no, I guess I will have to stay out of the luxurious Wal-Mart SuperCenter. Only ten others to choose from in neighboring cities.

Did Boss Hogg and Sheriff Roscoe retire to Arizona and become active in El Mirage government?

Old 02-04-2012, 06:34 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,060,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
Unreal. 52 mph is both a reasonable and prudent speed on that stretch of Grand Avenue. As generally a slower than average driver, I disliked the cameras mostly based on privacy concerns and the whole racing/screeching halt scenarios that I have sometimes witnessed at the red light camera areas.

But come on, if you feel the need to dig into people's pockets and play big brother, at least be reasonable about it. One more reason to avoid El Mirage. Oh, no, I guess I will have to stay out of the luxurious Wal-Mart SuperCenter. Only ten others to choose from in neighboring cities.

Did Boss Hogg and Sheriff Roscoe retire to Arizona and become active in El Mirage government?
Only 52? Were people honking and flashing their lights for you to get out of the way?

To tell the truth I do my best to not run red lights but have noticed many with a very short yellow and these are on roadways where the average speed is 50+. One little "secret" that I use is the "hat trick". I wear a baseball cap pretty much everywhere. If I'm in a position where I think I'm going to get flashed I just look down for a couple of seconds (yes I'm sure it's clear ahead of me) so no picture of my face is possible.
As for those intersections like the one you reference, I much prefer gassing it to make it through the light before it goes red to slamming on the brakes and either
A.Causing that moron behind me riding my bumper to become part of my trailer hitch.
B.Leaving half of my brake pads on the pavement.
C. Having all those lost coins and petrified Cheetos/french fries fly out from their hiding places and give me blunt force trauma to the ankles.

This may sound crazy but pretty much my whole youth my mantra was "if in doubt GAS IT". The thinking was "a few more miles an hour isn't going to make you any more dead" and to be honest it served me very well and got me out of many bad situations.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:07 PM

2 posts, read 10,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartessa View Post
Has anyone here avoided the process server after getting a photo radar ticket in El Mirage? Or, did you throw the ticket away and then did get served? How many times did they come to your house? My sister got a ticket and she is trying to hide from being served. I told her they will just harass her to death, but she doesn't think so.
Well, I also got "flashed" in El Mirage on Grand (threw it out) and today is the 120 day mark since the "complaint" was filed, and I even blacked out my windows at home but never had a process server come to the house (that I know of). Heck, they haven't even updated any court records for people that had photo radar's at the end of december for the el mirage court. Moderator cut: snip
I heard from some other posts that they will only show up once or twice and move onto the next victim.

Last edited by Kimballette; 02-10-2012 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: Sorry, new members may not post links.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:24 PM

4,158 posts, read 2,851,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilneck View Post
Well, I also got "flashed" in El Mirage on Grand (threw it out) and today is the 120 day mark since the "complaint" was filed, and I even blacked out my windows at home but never had a process server come to the house (that I know of). Heck, they haven't even updated any court records for people that had photo radar's at the end of december for the el mirage court. Moderator cut: snip

I heard from some other posts that they will only show up once or twice and move onto the next victim.
You actually went and blacked out your windows? That's worse than the guy who was avoiding everyone for three months because he was afraid the process server was gonna get him. Hilarious.

Last edited by Kimballette; 02-10-2012 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area