Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 11:04 PM

22 posts, read 23,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Hmmmm. Interesting. The research I did said otherwise.

Nevertheless, stats don't lie. Going too slow in the high speed left lane, especially on purpose, is a danger to EVERYONE on the road.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.azc...m/amp/83986570

I'm a moderator here because I choose to volunteer my time, thanks for asking.
I do not endorse going slow, on purpose, in the left lane of traffic. There is a push and shove going on here regarding people who drive the speed limit and those who don't. I feel that abiding by the law is prudent, not just to avoid traffic tickets but to avoid collisions. I am not a pro "doucher" as it were. If people didn't poke about and didn't speed, we'd be far better off. Crazy slow and crazy fast are dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 11:20 AM

8,053 posts, read 12,330,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
sorry, don't agree what so ever; no lawyer could ever successfully argue that in a court of law, it was "acceptable" for my client to be doing 85 in a 65, based on some vaguely written statute. If that was the case, then they would call the signage "suggested" speed limits, NOT speed limit.

Of course, you can drive faster than the speed limit safely, depending on conditions, traffic load, time of day, and other factors; what I cant stand are the morons, who, are driving in heavy traffic, weaving in and out way over the limit, just to get where they are going 5 minutes faster than the rest of us, OR, even worse, those same morons driving 60 in a 40 mph residential area. I dont care what statue you quote, that is NEVER acceptable..

Yes, I ALWAYS stay to the right, regardless of speed, unless I have to pass, and am tired of some folks assuming that "all transplants" need to adapt to the "law and culture here"...remember, this state is probably 50% or more "transplants", and the constant negative connotation that folks put on "transplants" gets really old after a while..

BTW, I haven't had a ticket or accident in over 40 years, and until recently have driven approx 25-40k miles PER year, NATIONWIDE, so unless you can match or exceede that record, please don't preach to me about how to drive "safely", either in Arizona or anywhere else..
Never once did I say it's acceptable to drive 60 in a 40 MPH residential zone. At the same time, some of the divided thoroughfares have 40 MPH speed limits, which I'm sure you'll have to admit is a little too slow for a major street. Many people easily drive 55 or over on major streets like Tatum Blvd., Greenway Parkway, or other similar roads because the conditions are usually favorable and safe to do so. It would be stupid & dangerous to drive 55 on Central Avenue or any downtown street because they're not designed for fast travel. This is an example of what is meant by reasonable and prudent speeds.

Your reply about how tired you are of people saying that transplants need to adapt to the law and culture makes no sense. Everybody needs to adapt to the laws & culture of the city/state where they live regardless of where they're from. It's called assimilation. I've lived in the Phoenix area for over 50 years, and have come across the same attitudes from many transplants: they move here primarily for the weather, health, or something along those lines, but they whine & gripe about many other things, especially traffic and the drivers. If transplants love the weather & the environment here, then they need to realize that it's precisely those two things that contribute to why many people drive fast. If we had frequent inclement conditions and narrower streets like many places back east, that would automatically slow people down.

BTW, I've been driving well over 30 years, and admit to being a fast driver, although not excessive nor reckless, and I've never had a speeding ticket EVER. As I stated before, most cops will not pull somebody over just for going 10 MPH over. On much of the 51 freeway, the speed limit is a ridiculously slow 55 MPH, but I've easily driven 70 MPH many times, even when police cars were visible, but was never pulled over. Most cops are privy to the fact that driving faster than 55 on a freeway during good traffic conditions is not dangerous at all. Again, part of the reasonable & prudent speed factor!

Old 01-06-2018, 11:28 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,941,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipbrando View Post
You are WRONG. Arizona has no such law. Only 10 states out of 50 consider the left lane only for passing, and Arizona is NOT one of them.

https://jalopnik.com/5501615/left-la...e-by-state-map

How are you a moderator here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Hmmmm. Interesting. The research I did said otherwise.

Nevertheless, stats don't lie. Going too slow in the high speed left lane, especially on purpose, is a danger to EVERYONE on the road.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.azc...m/amp/83986570

I'm a moderator here because I choose to volunteer my time, thanks for asking.
VIP, you are 100000% CORRECT!
if the speed limit is 65, and you are doing 65 in the fast/left lane, you are NOT going too slow; the doosh bags going 75-85-95 are going TOO fast..There isnt a court or judge in this country that would convict you for doing the speed limit as driving "too slow"
And, if the speeders don't like it, too bad, dont drive your car, because you are endangering everyone else on the road..

there is no logical debate on this issue; sure stay to the right, as much as you can, but doing the speed limit is NOT going "too slow" EVER, regardless of what lane you are in..

Old 01-06-2018, 11:43 AM

8,053 posts, read 12,330,609 times
Quote:
if the speed limit is 65, and you are doing 65 in the fast/left lane, you are NOT going too slow; the doosh bags going 75-85-95 are going TOO fast
And what if the traffic in the other lanes is moving faster than 65? That would make driving 65 in the left lane too slow, and therefore hindering the flow of traffic which is breaking the law. I have no idea what a "doosh bag" is, but that is what I meant about the arrogant attitude of many transplants: you come here with your own unique driving habits from where you came from and then complain when most everybody else is too fast for your tastes. Well, sorry, but you picked the wrong place to live if you expect slower drivers. At least you stay in the right lane, which is the courteous thing to do if you are a slower driver.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
And what if the traffic in the other lanes is moving faster than 65? That would make driving 65 in the left lane too slow, and therefore hindering the flow of traffic which is breaking the law.
Sorry, driving the speed limit is NEVER breaking the law in this state...

thats why I stay to the right; unfortunately, even doing 65 or 70 in the right lane often evokes the "finger" from those behind me, thinking I should speed up so they can do 75 in the right lane.
and, why is driving the speed limit some sort of unique driving habit?? I thought that was the LAW everywhere in the USA..
I dont expect slow drivers, nor do I care if someone want to do 120 in the left lane when I am no where near them; just dont give me the finger if I am doing the speed limit anywhere because you want to break the law, or are in a big hurry to get somewhere 5 minutes faster than I will..

Old 01-06-2018, 12:08 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,866,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNomad View Post
Drivers here (especially transplants) in the Valley all tend to bring whatever driving habits (both good and not so good) they had from wherever they came from. As for the locals, well, I'm not 100% sure drivers education is required in most schools, so that may be a factor. In fact, many people don't receive drivers education here until they get a traffic violation and opt to take a class.
I’m born and raised and graduated high school in 2013. Drivers ed was cut the year before I entered high school, 2008-2009, the last year at my school. Can’t speak for all schools obviously, but if you cut education budget, this is what happens. We also lost a lot of the career and tech classes, foreign language too during my high school years. Lost the lockers after sophomore year. High school is not like what it used to be.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:32 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,997,775 times
Quote:
Sorry, driving the speed limit is NEVER breaking the law in this state...

thats why I stay to the right; unfortunately, even doing 65 or 70 in the right lane often evokes the "finger" from those behind me, thinking I should speed up so they can do 75 in the right lane.
and, why is driving the speed limit some sort of unique driving habit?? I thought that was the LAW everywhere in the USA..
I dont expect slow drivers, nor do I care if someone want to do 120 in the left lane when I am no where near them; just dont give me the finger if I am doing the speed limit anywhere because you want to break the law, or are in a big hurry to get somewhere 5 minutes faster than I will..

I’m sensing who the common denominator in all this is. We don’t need your nanny government attitude. Leave it in Illinois where it belongs.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I’m sensing who the common denominator in all this is. We don’t need your nanny government attitude. Leave it in Illinois where it belongs.
Insult or compliment? you know me so well, that accurately reporting your comment is important to me..

Let me know please, so I can report you correctly..

Old 01-06-2018, 01:17 PM

15,254 posts, read 13,053,297 times
Remember when I wrote (six pages back): What unwritten law of Phoenix driving did I violate? Was it the one that said we are never to get in the way of anyone who is trying to shave a few seconds off his trip?

Turns out that IS the one.

There are some pretty strong opinions about Phoenix driving, on all sides. I'll just leave it at this:

THEODOTUS: Caesar: you are a stranger here, and not conversant with our laws. The kings and queens of Egypt may not marry except with their own royal blood. Ptolemy and Cleopatra are born king and consort just as they are born brother and sister.

BRITANNUS (shocked): Caesar: this is not proper.

THEODOTUS (outraged): How!

CAESAR (recovering his self-possession):
Pardon him, Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature. -- George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Old 01-06-2018, 01:19 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,708,159 times
Quote:
Insult or compliment? you know me so well, that accurately reporting your comment is important to me..

Let me know please, so I can report you correctly..
LOLOLOL!!! Gets called out for the desire to live in a nanny state and responds by threatening to report to the authorities. Probably should just come to terms with it as fact - you are a proponent of control rather than free will and common sense. Your stance on this topic proves that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area