Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 07:01 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,920,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
When you're on that side of the age line I guess you could consider it discrimination. Technically it's a status offense like curfew. The only time I was arrested was for a curfew violation, 3 weeks before I turned 18 and 45 minutes before curfew broke. Other than that the only crime we were committing was listening to Bread and Steppenwolf on the 8-track in my car. Was it chickensh** of Scottsdale's Finest? I thought so (and still do), but I got over it.

Hey, we're making progress! The insurance argument doesn't fly though. The insurance companies make out big time, but it doesn't un-injure or un-kill the victims of people who shouldn't be on the road. I have always disagreed with higher rates based on age alone-I think they should be the same until the first ticket or wreck, but I don't make a living selling insurance.

I know what you're saying, they are very different, but you said, "I'll tell you that even underage drinking crackdowns do nothing to discourage drinking and only criminalize citizens." My point was that the principle is the same. Murders are not averted simply because it's against the law. It isn't the laws that keep most people from killing others, it's social mores and a matter of conscience. Laws only work because the majority of society believes it's wrong to break the law, much more so than the consequences they would face. It doesn't matter what the law is, so-called victimless or not.

Of course this doesn't apply to traffic offenses where the majority thinks it's perfectly okay and why 40,000+ die on U.S. roads every year because of that mentality.

You got me there.
First of all, I hope they locked you away and threw away the key for listening to that!
But your other arrest is different in that you were not an adult yet-although Im sure you begged to differ at the time-
But anyways, another problem I have with the 21 plus law is that it is in place today because the federal government blackmailed the states into enacting it by threatening to withhold interstate funding. So, from my point of view not only is the law ageist, but its unconstitutional. Note that the law preventing people up to age 17 is not ageist, because they are not legal adults yet.

Yeah I pointed out the higher insurance rates but I agree that theyre unfair-some young people are better drivers than middle-aged ones. But, theyre running a business and from their point of view can only take into account overall trends-and not individual driving ability.

And the majority of the population (especially 18-20) doesnt consider underage (18-20) drinking morally wrong either, making the law ineffective. I do disagree somewhat though. Maybe the actual law which says that murder is illegal doesnt prevent anyone, but the conseqences if you are caught do. Sure, most of the population would never murder even if it was legal but Im pretty sure it would occur much more often if you didnt have to risk life in prison or execution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,930 times
I was at a friends house party because I needed a place to stay,diddnt drink and had a friend who even came with me so I wasnt the only one drinking,I told the officer I wasnt drinking but he kept saying something about breathalyzing us and wed go "straight down town" in turn my friend and I were scared into saying we drank some beer so we could at least call his uncle and have him pick us up.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:14 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,220,873 times
I thought I found at some point (and now can't remember what it was called to find it again) a chart online that showed actual rights reserved (not appropriated by the States or the Federal Gov't) regarding underage drinking...i.e., privacy of the home, with a parent, etc...that would have made it highly unlikely that a 20 year old having a couple beers by the pool a criminal.

The couple AZ cops I've known privately think it's just fine so long as it's a family affair and it's responsible (not binge, alcoholism or partytime), but said on the record they just don't want to know about it.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:45 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,962,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefcorky View Post
Hi , I will be in Arizona next month. And it will only be one month away from my birthday and I wanted to go into mexico. but anyways what are the consequences for underage consumption in Arizona. Thanks. I herd its like a $750 fine. jail time and alot of other stuff. that seems kinda steap since its not like you are driving but I guess it verys from state to state.

My 19 year old just got one of those minor under the influence of alcohol fines. He wasn't driving but was at a party. I think he paid something like 90.00 and had to go to an all day class. I can't remember what that program was called but it's for first offenders. I hope he learned his lesson and I hope you don't end up being stupid like him.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:37 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,262,308 times
I have gotten the minor in possession of alcohol twice in Phoenix. All it required was a diversion program for 3 months where I had to see a counselor and pay a small amount each month. As soon as I completed it, all charges were dropped. It is no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area