Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 12:35 PM

5 posts, read 1,959 times

Advertisements

Do you think children are safe with those drug court substancee abuse counselors?

I know, don't do the crime....etc.

But still, some of them sure seem a little odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 12:42 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,619,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addww View Post
Do you think children are safe with those drug court substance abuse counselors?

Odd in what way?

Old 02-20-2018, 12:57 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,732,813 times
Quote:
Do you think children are safe with those drug court substancee abuse counselors?

How many people on CD have enough first hand knowledge of this to respond?

Old 02-20-2018, 03:35 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,619,371 times
My understanding is that some if not all of these SA counselors used to have addictions themselves, and they were able to pull themselves out of those situations with proper counseling and support. Maybe they don't seem as professional to the OP? Could that be what the OP finds as a little odd?

Old 02-23-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
How many people on CD have enough first hand knowledge of this to respond?
Many, I would guess.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
Odd in what way?
To begin with as noted in this very forum.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/curre...overdoses.html

But odd as in, man, I would rather my kid was not around this guy, kind of way.

No, I think they have a variety of backgrounds.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:33 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,975,690 times
Quote:

Almost as odd as this thread.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:13 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,732,813 times
Quote:
Many, I would guess.
Based on what?

Old 02-24-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Based on what?
Simple reasoning and general knowledge?

Old 02-24-2018, 08:02 PM

843 posts, read 567,921 times
My wife has worked in this field for over 25 yrs, and she most certainly is not a recovered addict of any type. She got her Master's degree in Social Work, got licensed and certified by the State by passing a board examination, must stay current on yearly training to maintain her MCSW license, and this is what she does. There is always a doctor who oversees the prescribing of any medication, etc.

Not sure what you mean by "drug court substance abuse counselors"...but she in 25 years she has worked in state/fed prisons, jails, hospitals, county mental health services, private clinics, and even had her own private practice for a while...

They are professional college-educated, credentialed counselors. So if a counselor is a former addict, that would only be the case if they had earned at least a bachelor degree and were licensed for the position - it's not just some dude off of the street. Look for BSW, MSW, LCSW, MCSW credentials, etc.

It's a thankless job, really, she deals with a lot of hassles for relatively low salary for someone with a master's degree. This is due to the lack of public funding and/or not emphasizing the importance of mental health treatment. Mental health has a fraction of the funding vs physical medicine.

Surely it's like any other field of work, there are good ones and bad ones...however, depending on the employer/institution they will conduct background checks. But you surely have certain rights as a parent. Not 100% sure but I believe that you could demand to be present if you're not OK with your child being alone with someone. They can't kick you out until the child turns 18. This is no different that any doctor, dentist, etc. I would not trust anyone who did not recognize this right.

Are you "just curious", "asking for a friend", or is your child actually in this situation?

Last edited by KO Stradivarius; 02-24-2018 at 08:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area