Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 09:20 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,940,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahunt View Post
The bars on every window tell me all I need to know.......

Seeing all the colors reminds me of a saying something about putting lipstick on a pig....lol
perfectly said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Is this for real? You just said why; it's a "nice place to visit". That's precisely why. The people, the food, the weather, the beaches, the history. I go multiple times a year and have never had a single problem, and I don't only go to traditional tourist towns. If you've never been to San Miguel de Allende or Guanajuato you're missing out on some of the world's gems.

Some people prefer to err on the side of fear and that's fine, but you're missing out with such a sheltered viewpoint.

What a "3rd world swill hole"
its easy to post nice photos of any city anywhere..
how about posting one like this, which shows what happens frequently to people in your favorite country to the south?

[mod cut - inappropriate photo]

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 02-24-2018 at 10:16 AM..

Old 02-24-2018, 09:35 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,705,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
its easy to post nice photos of any city anywhere..
how about posting one like this, which shows what happens frequently to people in your favorite country to the south?
It's easy to post pictures of dead bodies anywhere. It is also easy to post nice pictures of Mexico because much of it is beautiful. There are plenty of mass murders in the US. Living in fear in a bubble may suit you, and that's fine, albeit boring. I choose to explore what this world has to offer. It's an awesome place out there.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:37 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,390,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62mike View Post
We are taking our second SW vacation in July. Part of our time will be in the Phoenix area as well as NM, etc. We just wanted to do a quick day trip to shop and eat. Prefer to walk across and not deal with a car in Mexico. We have passports. Can anyone suggest the safest 2 or 3 locations to cross?

Any other advice or warnings?

Thank you.
From the wording of the original post, It's not entirely clear whether the OP might be confusing New Mexico, (which is very much a part of the U S), and Mexico proper -- the number of people who confuse the two is more than commonly believed.

But assuming that the goal is to visit Mexico itself, I'm very much in agreement with the idea of leaving the car and crossing the border on foot; that's likely to limit any roaming to the tourist-oriented zones which, I'm sure, the Mexican authorities want to keep very safe.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 02-24-2018 at 09:51 AM..

Old 02-24-2018, 09:38 AM

just keep your wife away from mexican luxury hotels, so she isnt given a special poison Mexican tequilla..

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...uts/513563001/

and, btw, I've traveled all over the world during my lifetime, and seen it all..
but thanks for looking out for my safety!

Old 02-24-2018, 09:40 AM

9,864 posts, read 11,260,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahunt View Post
The bars on every window tell me all I need to know.......

Seeing all the colors reminds me of a saying something about putting lipstick on a pig....lol
Detroit's point was spot on (it's partially the look). With that said, I have a security system in both homes, I have cameras in both homes too. In the rear of my house, I have security door. My neighbors (according to the Facebook page) are putting in doorbell camera's. Hell, I might do the same thing. I live in the 2nd safest town in AZ (Surprise). I've never been burglarized. So "does that tell you all you need to know?"

I realize that I'm not going to change your mind. But for God sakes, look at the statistics. Until those change, at least be rational versus paranoid. If you have absolutely no desire to visit, that's fine. But I propose it is out of paranoia. My proof is the statistics. I think my point is pretty balanced. I use to visit 12 times a year. I've been to Mexico hundreds of times. I've got a pretty good handle on where the risks are and why.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
just keep your wife away from mexican luxury hotels, so she isnt given a special poison Mexican tequilla..

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...uts/513563001/

and, btw, I've traveled all over the world during my lifetime, and seen it all..
but thanks for looking out for my safety!
I'm not at all worried about your safety and couldn't care less if those that are afraid never step outside their average bubbles. The fear-mongering to those that do want to experience more, should stop though. The paranoia expressed over traveling to an area that sees over 25 million American visitors a year is verging on mental instability.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:45 AM

I've been to the west side of chicago many times, had my windows shot out, and been shot at; sure, statistically, it only happens to a fraction of people, but, to me, that makes me not want to go back unless I absolutely have to

On a recent trip to Mexico City, while walking around the "wealthy" areas of the city, i was amazed at how many people had armed military guards with machine guns standing guard out side of their iron gated houses.
Beautiful houses, beautiful area, but, not a place I would ever go back to unless it was a matter of life or death for me..

Old 02-24-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I'm not at all worried about your safety and couldn't care less if those that are afraid never step outside their average bubbles. The fear-mongering to those that do want to experience more, should stop though. The paranoia expressed over traveling to an area that sees over 25 million American visitors a year is verging on mental instability.
good to know, I couldn't care less about your safety or your opinion on mine either..

Old 02-24-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
good to know, I couldn't care less about your safety or your opinion on mine either..
Ouch, LOL. That was in response to your thanking me for my concern over your safety, something I never expressed. Thought it needed clarification since that was pulled out of thin air.

I go to Mexico City at least once a year for work. We always have a security detail and while I feel like it is somewhat unnecessary, it's simply a part of life there and while I wish it weren't needed, it is what it is. I enjoy my time there, but no way in hell would I move to DF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area