Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 09:52 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,742,274 times

Advertisements

Sadly, the OP was looking for tourism advice and then every right wing wackadoodle that frequents this forum came out of the woodwork. Maybe tripadvisor would have been a better place to ask.

My only negative experience with Mexico in recent years was when I walked into Tijuana and saw a half mile line of pedestrians in line to go back. I didn't have a whole lot of time and I immediately had to get in line. Sounds like Nogales doesn't have that problem. Enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 10:13 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,970,654 times
They have strict gun control laws in Mexico; it must be safe.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:15 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,159,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
its easy to post nice photos of any city anywhere..
how about posting one like this, which shows what happens frequently to people in your favorite country to the south?
Without question, there are THOUSANDS of drug related murders in Mexico per year. As I said earlier, the authorities don't bother hiding the carnage. In fact, they would have left the 17 dead bodies from the Florida mass shooting on the road and the pictures would have been in the news papers. Their culture is different in that regard.

But do realize that you live in a country with 15,000 intentional homicides per year. If you are smart, you don't put Chicago (parts which are sh_thole war zones) in the same category as Portland, Maine. Nor would I have any desire (or feel safe) to visit Tijuana. It too is a dangerous in my mind. As in, you I have absolutely no desire to go there.

If you haven't been to Rocky Point. With all due respect, your opinion is based off of guessing. Hell, statistics are meaningless to you. You are working off of emotion. I've been to Tijuana in 1990(ish). I vowed never again. Certainly not in 2018. Nor could you pay me to walk in some of the hoods of Chicago in the good ol' U.S. of A. So you cannot paint an entire country in a single stroke. At least I don't.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:46 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,918,343 times
agree; but, at this stage of my life, I prefer to vacation in places that generally have little if any security issues for me.

There are countries in the Middle east I would like to go to, but, the danger factor for an American is higher than I want to deal with..if you feel its not an issue to you, then enjoy yourself and be careful

We all make our own choices in life, and I would never expect anyone to agree with everything/anything I feel about anything. And, here again, there is no doubt there are plenty of great places in Mexico to visit.

But for me, I'll spend my discretionary dollars here is the USA...

Old 02-24-2018, 11:02 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Quote:
agree; but, at this stage of my life, I prefer to vacation in places that generally have little if any security issues for me.

There are countries in the Middle east I would like to go to, but, the danger factor for an American is higher than I want to deal with..if you feel its not an issue to you, then enjoy yourself and be careful

We all make our own choices in life, and I would never expect anyone to agree with everything/anything I feel about anything. And, here again, there is no doubt there are plenty of great places in Mexico to visit.

But for me, I'll spend my discretionary dollars here is the USA...
That’s fine and no one is concerned with where you choose to vacation. The problem is referring to an entire country as a “swill hole” and going so far as posting pictures of dead people in an attempt to prove that no one should dare venture south of the border. Don’t go there, fine. Just spare us the fear-mongering tactics.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:10 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,918,343 times
my posts are never directed at you, so whatever causes you to feel that they are, you need to get over.
And, you arent a moderator here, so not sure why you feel your opinion reflects that of anyone else besides yourself

your unhealthy obsession with me is very weird..

Old 02-24-2018, 11:25 AM

182 posts, read 449,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Sadly, the OP was looking for tourism advice and then every right wing wackadoodle that frequents this forum came out of the woodwork. Maybe tripadvisor would have been a better place to ask.

My only negative experience with Mexico in recent years was when I walked into Tijuana and saw a half mile line of pedestrians in line to go back. I didn't have a whole lot of time and I immediately had to get in line. Sounds like Nogales doesn't have that problem. Enjoy.
Thank you for that. We are perfectly content with the USA just being that close to old Mexico seemed like a nice day trip. However, we have been close before and for whatever reason did not go. I agree to a point with several comments on here about some US cities being just as bad. However, as a WHOLE I don't think it compares and the assurance I have in the US is driving a couple of miles can get me out of the area but more so the level of corruption does not compare with Mexico. Bottom line is some things are not just not worth the potential outcome. Its unfortunate as I am sure it is very nostalgic there and the people as a whole are good people. Sad drugs have made such a change to both our countries.

Thanks for all the input.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:32 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Quote:
my posts are never directed at you, so whatever causes you to feel that they are, you need to get over.
And, you arent a moderator here, so not sure why you feel your opinion reflects that of anyone else besides yourself

your unhealthy obsession with me is very weird..
This is an open discussion forum. One doesn’t need to be called by name to reply. The level of emotiinal paranoia being spewed needed to be responded to, and I am evidently not alone in my opinion. Again, don’t go to Mexico if it frightens you. Just don’t try to scare those that may want to with distasteful fear-tactics.

Last edited by DetroitN8V; 02-24-2018 at 12:16 PM..

Old 02-24-2018, 01:41 PM

784 posts, read 922,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post

With the personal insults I expect that your post will be deleted.

Now be honest with us, you're just in Mexico doing some vote registering.....

Old 02-24-2018, 01:46 PM

784 posts, read 922,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Detroit's point was spot on (it's partially the look). With that said, I have a security system in both homes, I have cameras in both homes too. In the rear of my house, I have security door. My neighbors (according to the Facebook page) are putting in doorbell camera's. Hell, I might do the same thing. I live in the 2nd safest town in AZ (Surprise). I've never been burglarized. So "does that tell you all you need to know?"

I realize that I'm not going to change your mind. But for God sakes, look at the statistics. Until those change, at least be rational versus paranoid. If you have absolutely no desire to visit, that's fine. But I propose it is out of paranoia. My proof is the statistics. I think my point is pretty balanced. I use to visit 12 times a year. I've been to Mexico hundreds of times. I've got a pretty good handle on where the risks are and why.
I guess I just grew up and raised my kids in a much different place.....we never locked our doors ever and never had anything stolen or such.....that to me equals a safe place.

With that said much of what I do today is about risk assessments, I am way over the top when it comes to that.....which is why I love Arizona...I can CC and I hope I never have to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area