Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2018, 10:37 AM

23 posts, read 38,667 times

Advertisements

Hi, All

Looking for information about Scottsdale, AZ. Have no clue what to expect. The new work location is around fashion square, look for advices on where to live. The budget is $700K, four bedrooms. I heard Scottsdale has the best charter school systems ----the basis scottsdale. We have 2 elementary school aged kids. Which school ranks high for elementary school? will they automatically go into basis high? what neighborhoods or zipcode should I look into if want to be closer to the basis schools.

Are there any other options for schools? private?

If you like to comment on moving from Houston, I 'd appreciate! Feel really hard to leave Houston.

Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 11:58 AM

8,045 posts, read 12,281,236 times
Look in the Arcadia area, which is mainly in east Phoenix, but it also extends into the part of Scottsdale just west of the Old Town area. You'll find some very nice older homes through there which are spacious, and will likely be in your price range. I started a thread recently about the three different sections in east Phoenix/west Scottsdale which contain the Arcadia name, but all of them have unique differences. See below.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...-arcadias.html

Old 03-08-2018, 02:49 PM

90 posts, read 113,386 times
BASIS is a Charter School, so no, they won't automatically be enrolled there. You have to apply to enroll and there is typically a waiting list. From their website: At any grade level, if the number of applicants exceeds the number of openings, enrollment is determined by a lottery and waitlist numbers. The Open Enrollment period for BASIS charter schools is NOT first-come, first-served. Only applications completed during the Open Enrollment period are included in the lottery pool. Applications submitted after the Open Enrollment period has ended will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis, behind applications received during the Open Enrollment period.

I would check out greatschools.org to find the best districts. Some of the best are Chandler, Kyrene, Madison, Cave Creek and Paradise Valley.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:33 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,623,512 times
What part of Houston do you currently live in? Those here familiar with both areas might be able to give you a better idea of what to expect.

Traffic is better here (IMO) and no humidity or hurricanes.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:31 AM

2,154 posts, read 5,181,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_Houston View Post
Hi, All

Looking for information about Scottsdale, AZ. Have no clue what to expect. The new work location is around fashion square, look for advices on where to live. The budget is $700K, four bedrooms. I heard Scottsdale has the best charter school systems ----the basis scottsdale. We have 2 elementary school aged kids. Which school ranks high for elementary school? will they automatically go into basis high? what neighborhoods or zipcode should I look into if want to be closer to the basis schools.

Are there any other options for schools? private?

If you like to comment on moving from Houston, I 'd appreciate! Feel really hard to leave Houston.

Thank you all!
There really are no "bad" areas of Scottsdale. But with your budget, you have a lot of options. If you don't mind a little commute, I would look in areas like Grayhawk (85255), Stonegate (85259) or Scottsdale Ranch (85258). All nice areas, lots of amenities, good places to live (IMO).

There are many private & charter school options. But seriously Scottsdale public schools are pretty good. It all depends on your student and the types of programs that best fit their personality. Everybody wants to enroll in Basis, but Basis is not for most children.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:02 PM

550 posts, read 1,128,237 times
If you like Houston, put in your head that Phoenix, Scottsdale... it's not like Houston. I lived in Houston for 30 years and loved it, besides the weather. When it comes to weather, you will love Phoenix. When it comes to shopping, not so much. There is nothing like Central Market here. If you live in Scottsdale you have access to Whole Foods Market. When we moved here in 2008 they were not up to the same standard as Whole Foods inside the Loop in Houston. Now they might be, but I don't know how the Houston one is today. Even tho Scottsdale is regarded as upscale, I don't think it is as upscale than River Oaks. You won't find a shopping mall like the Galleria here either. Last time I went to Fashion Square I was so disappointed that I have not been back there since 2012. I cannot tell you about schools, I don't have school age kids.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:51 PM

23 posts, read 38,667 times
Thank you everyone for your input. I currently live in the west memorial area of Houston, our house is about $550K but the public schools here are great! No waiting list. Texas has pretty high standard in Education besides NJ and CA, thus, I don't know if we need to go private school in AZ or not. Obviously the school we chose will affect a lot on the subdivision we will be moving to...If we have to pay private tuition my housing budget will lower to $400k.

Yes I read more about the charter schools and get to know their very strict enrollment and long waiting lists.

It's hard to leave Houston for the cheap living expenses, very diverse culture and good education resources. I feel Scottsdale is a step up in terms of living environment and living costs.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:42 PM

389 posts, read 597,190 times
I'm a native Houstonian. I made the move to Scottsdale and realized it wasn't for me.

Needless to say, I'm happily back in Houston.

I found the culture in Scottsdale/Phoenix to be lacking. It doesn't have the diversity of Houston.

I can't say much about the education in Scottsdale, but it sounds like you live in SBISD in Houston. That's a great district, and the Memorial area is one of my favorites. Scottsdale is similar to Memorial, but without the beautiful Georgian, English, and Colonial homes. It's mostly a sea of stucco and red tile roofs out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area