Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 09:03 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,672,053 times

Advertisements

So far, my experience living in Phoenix has been awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 09:12 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,179,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I don't understand this opposition to newcomers. I moved here 17 years ago from the East Coast myself. I suppose you don't think I should of moved here either.....😒
Not to take this of-topic or anything...but the mantra 20 years ago was "Welcome to Arizona, now go home". I really don't mind newcomers...they usually only stay a couple of years and then move on. You've been here 17 years so, while not a native (neither am I) you are invested in the State and know some of the history. Many of the recent transplants don't know or don't care.

The ones I have a problem with are the ones that move here thinking they are on a permanent vacation. Acting like we don't have laws and thinking since it is the "Wild West" they can do anything they please. Sorry...speed limits are still here. Stop signs mean you STOP. 13 year-olds riding mini bikes in a neighborhood is still illegal. Sound ordinances still state your outside stereo needs to be turned down at 11PM.

I love it when people move here and say "Oh the people are so nice" and then proceed to be rude, inconsiderate and sometimes downright mean to others. I see it at our local market all the time.

There was a recent article (I'll have to find it) talking about people escaping failed Blue states and settling in Red states, bringing all the failed policies in their heads that ruined where they came from. Don't get me wrong, AZ has some serious shortcomings, and many people moving here from Blue states are trying to get away from the the idiocy, They don't seem to want to accept that things are different in AZ and no, it wasn't better where you came from. Otherwise, you would still be there.

Anyway...sorry, you asked. On the plus side, our home values have gone up substantially in recent years so Thank you newcomers for driving up the housing prices. I should make some serious money when I sell eventually.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:23 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,630,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
So far, my experience living in Phoenix has been awesome!
Yep. We're TERRIBLE, aren't we?

Old 04-26-2018, 09:44 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,678,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Everyone who moves here degrades the quality of life for those already here. That includes me. But I came here (sent by the Army actually) over 40 years ago when there were less than a million people here and "the resource" was not taxed beyond its limits like it is now. I don't know exactly when the limit was reached but I would say Peak Phoenix was probably in the early 1990s. It has been downhill since then as a nice place to live.
Not from my perspective, it has gotten better here from where I sit in the 17 years I've been here (albeit more expensive)

Old 04-26-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
It's "should have", not "should of".
Thanks grammar police

Old 04-26-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Not to take this of-topic or anything...but the mantra 20 years ago was "Welcome to Arizona, now go home". I really don't mind newcomers...they usually only stay a couple of years and then move on. You've been here 17 years so, while not a native (neither am I) you are invested in the State and know some of the history. Many of the recent transplants don't know or don't care.

The ones I have a problem with are the ones that move here thinking they are on a permanent vacation. Acting like we don't have laws and thinking since it is the "Wild West" they can do anything they please. Sorry...speed limits are still here. Stop signs mean you STOP. 13 year-olds riding mini bikes in a neighborhood is still illegal. Sound ordinances still state your outside stereo needs to be turned down at 11PM.

I love it when people move here and say "Oh the people are so nice" and then proceed to be rude, inconsiderate and sometimes downright mean to others. I see it at our local market all the time.

There was a recent article (I'll have to find it) talking about people escaping failed Blue states and settling in Red states, bringing all the failed policies in their heads that ruined where they came from. Don't get me wrong, AZ has some serious shortcomings, and many people moving here from Blue states are trying to get away from the the idiocy, They don't seem to want to accept that things are different in AZ and no, it wasn't better where you came from. Otherwise, you would still be there.

Anyway...sorry, you asked. On the plus side, our home values have gone up substantially in recent years so Thank you newcomers for driving up the housing prices. I should make some serious money when I sell eventually.
I didn't leave the east because of politics (I'm not a conservative), I left because of the weather, it really was that simple for me

Old 04-26-2018, 10:01 AM

26 posts, read 29,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post

My family will be moving to the valley from NY. We are those people fleeing a blue state. However, we are not only running from NY, but we are also running to AZ. In my opinion there is a difference. There are plenty of red states to choose from, most of which are closer to where we currently live. But we are choosing AZ because it appears to be the best fit for us. That's a key point. We will not be the people saying, "back home..." AZ will be our home. And we won't be bringing the failed ideals of NY with us. We won't be complaining about the heat as if it were a surprise because we always visit in the summer so we can experience the hottest months. We know what we are in for as far as the heat, the less hot months will be easy.

I'm rambling a bit, but I think KurtAZ is making a good point. People shouldn't move to AZ (or anywhere else) and attempt to make it more like where they came from. One of our fears about AZ is the influx of Cali residents fleeing that blue state. I don't want AZ to become more like Cali. I want it to stay like AZ.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:06 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,630,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel516 View Post
People shouldn't move to AZ (or anywhere else) and attempt to make it more like where they came from. One of our fears about AZ is the influx of Cali residents fleeing that blue state. I don't want AZ to become more like Cali. I want it to stay like AZ.
Can't believe I'm saying this, but the good news may be that NOT ALL Californians which come here are Phoenix or Arizona haters, nor do they want to turn Arizona into California.

The ones that do are biding their time. They're waiting for the right moment when the time is right. Then, they'll slowly but surely start making their demands. They'll begin undermining and attacking the Arizona way of doing things.

One thing (which is obvious to Arizonans) that they need to change is to have ALL stop signs removed. They will not "stop" until they have a full non-stop Arizona -- just like they have in California. They obviously have NO stop signs over there. When they come here, ALL of them do rolling "stops". They must keep rolling ALL the time.

The same with speed limits. ALL speed ALL the time. Even through school zones.

The thing they change after that is not obvious to me as yet.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
Can't believe I'm saying this, but the good news may be that NOT ALL Californians which come here are Phoenix or Arizona haters, nor do they want to turn Arizona into California.

The ones that do are biding their time. They're waiting for the right moment when the time is right. Then, they'll slowly but surely start making their demands. They'll begin undermining and attacking the Arizona way of doing things.

One thing (which is obvious to Arizonans) that they need to change is to have ALL stop signs removed. They will not "stop" until they have a full non-stop Arizona -- just like they have in California. They obviously have NO stop signs over there. When they come here, ALL of them do rolling "stops". They must keep rolling ALL the time.

The same with speed limits. ALL speed ALL the time. Even through school zones.

The thing they change after that is not obvious to me as yet.
I don't know when the last time was that you went to California, but they do in fact have stop signs and traffic lights there....

Old 04-26-2018, 11:18 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,742,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I don't know when the last time was that you went to California, but they do in fact have stop signs and traffic lights there....
Quick, look up! Oops, right over your head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area