Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 07:55 PM

61 posts, read 48,924 times

Advertisements

Wow. Once again a forum conversation veers into calm reasoning and understanding. Color me flabbergasted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 11:01 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,614,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
You guys aint that bad
Arizonans beg to differ!

Old 04-28-2018, 06:48 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,737,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoaz20172 View Post
The Valley is not for me. We could live anywhere, but we both got really huge promotions to come to Phoenix and it worked out very well, until we both realized we hate the area. "Why don't you just leave?". I have a golden handcuff clause in my job offer that would require large amounts of to be paid back in full if I were to leave. Companies do this with specialized talent or senior management.

I interviewed at Facebook and the same crap, large equity package with 3 or 4 year vesting on it for the same reason. Can't keep people in the Bay Area that long. I've seen people here talk about how people move to Phoenix and stay a couple of years and peace out. Companies obviously know this.

Also one just doesn't 'quit' medicine. Usually, at minimum, 6 months given ahead of time before you leave.
You dwell on hating it too much and could probably change a few aspects of life and your own outlook and things could be a lot different. Just because it doesn’t look or feel like xyz place doesn’t mean you can’t adapt a little.

Too flat out hate any top 20 major metro area is just odd to me, I’ve been to all 20 and I could figure out how to make it work for a few years in any one of them, yes I would have to adapt and change some of my favorite hobbies but they all offer a plethora of things to do, areas to explore and different living environments to check out.

Instead of wasting however many years you’re here in this miserable state of mind, go explore what this state offers. Even if you head out of town every weekend for 2 years you could check out completely diffident pockets of the state and take in some incredible scenery, from Havasupai to the Top of Mt. Lemmon, the Grand Canyon to Oak Creek Canyon, caves, waterfalls, hot springs, white water rafting, river boat cruises, the London bridge, meteor crater, Tucson studios, Hispanic heritage, amazing churches, unique castles, mansions, Wright homes all over, sports galore, nonstop festivals, concerts every night, a thriving dining scene, breweries left and right, 1000s of miles of hiking and biking trails, canal paths that expand all over the valley, the last remaining trading post, canyoneering everywhere you go... I just don’t see how it can be THAT bad. Change your outlook a bit and try something new, you might be surprised....

Old 04-28-2018, 06:56 AM

30,379 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoaz20172 View Post
The Valley is not for me. We could live anywhere, but we both got really huge promotions to come to Phoenix and it worked out very well, until we both realized we hate the area. "Why don't you just leave?". I have a golden handcuff clause in my job offer that would require large amounts of to be paid back in full if I were to leave. Companies do this with specialized talent or senior management.

I interviewed at Facebook and the same crap, large equity package with 3 or 4 year vesting on it for the same reason. Can't keep people in the Bay Area that long. I've seen people here talk about how people move to Phoenix and stay a couple of years and peace out. Companies obviously know this.

Also one just doesn't 'quit' medicine. Usually, at minimum, 6 months given ahead of time before you leave.
If you hate it as you say, you should leave....especially since you'll still be able to earn a living though it will cost you some money you probably don't need anyway. My money's still on you hating the next place, and the next place...because wherever you go, you can't escape you.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:04 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
In a few years when 120+ highs become routine maybe you'll understand.
I enjoy when they're posting in January/February how "great" it is to be there while they think the rest of the country suckers. Yeah, just wait a couple months bud. Phoenix hit it's first 100ºF day the first week of April this year while we were still getting snow on the East Coast. I'll take the snow.

There's a reason why New England and the Upper Mid-West has always been historically more populated until the trend shifted in the early 80's and people started migrating south. Central AC is the reason. You can always burn more wood for the fireplace in winter, but if I lived in the south I'd never be able to sleep at night and when I'm traveling it's still difficult even with the AC blaring.

How long will we have to wait before the water runs out and a city of 5 million goes dry? I know Phoenix residents will try to deny this or make excuses, but it's an inevitability, though probably a bit later rather than super soon.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:05 AM

268 posts, read 216,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
You dwell on hating it too much and could probably change a few aspects of life and your own outlook and things could be a lot different. Just because it doesn’t look or feel like xyz place doesn’t mean you can’t adapt a little.

Too flat out hate any top 20 major metro area is just odd to me, I’ve been to all 20 and I could figure out how to make it work for a few years in any one of them, yes I would have to adapt and change some of my favorite hobbies but they all offer a plethora of things to do, areas to explore and different living environments to check out.

Instead of wasting however many years you’re here in this miserable state of mind, go explore what this state offers. Even if you head out of town every weekend for 2 years you could check out completely diffident pockets of the state and take in some incredible scenery, from Havasupai to the Top of Mt. Lemmon, the Grand Canyon to Oak Creek Canyon, caves, waterfalls, hot springs, white water rafting, river boat cruises, the London bridge, meteor crater, Tucson studios, Hispanic heritage, amazing churches, unique castles, mansions, Wright homes all over, sports galore, nonstop festivals, concerts every night, a thriving dining scene, breweries left and right, 1000s of miles of hiking and biking trails, canal paths that expand all over the valley, the last remaining trading post, canyoneering everywhere you go... I just don’t see how it can be THAT bad. Change your outlook a bit and try something new, you might be surprised....
Well said!

Old 04-28-2018, 10:06 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,737,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
I enjoy when they're posting in January/February how "great" it is to be there while they think the rest of the country suckers. Yeah, just wait a couple months bud. Phoenix hit it's first 100ºF day the first week of April this year while we were still getting snow on the East Coast. I'll take the snow.

There's a reason why New England and the Upper Mid-West has always been historically more populated until the trend shifted in the early 80's and people started migrating south. Central AC is the reason. You can always burn more wood for the fireplace in winter, but if I lived in the south I'd never be able to sleep at night and when I'm traveling it's still difficult even with the AC blaring.

How long will we have to wait before the water runs out and a city of 5 million goes dry? I know Phoenix residents will try to deny this or make excuses, but it's an inevitability, though probably a bit later rather than super soon.
There’s a few reasons, Europeans settled on the East Coast first and life in the West was made possible by modern engineering that could store water and the south became much more comfortable after A/C came to be. There’s many more reasons the population center of the country has continued to shift south and west for roughly the last 70 years. And the Midwest/Northeast remains home to shrinking or barely growing metros.

Phoenix did hit 100 on 1 day in April and has remained below since, we’ll be around 90 tomorrow and the mid 80s most of the next week. Enjoy the snow, we get our fix of that just up the road from Phoenix a few hours.

You’ll have to excuse us locals for pointing out that your opinions don’t match the facts, we do after all live here. The valley uses less water now than 50 years ago, less agriculture. When adjustments are needed for water use we will reduce grass and all of the snowbirds escaping the wintery nigtmare that is New England and the upper Midwest can golf on dirt or go somewhere else. At the end of the day most of us could care less if the 70% of water used to dump on lawns needs to be reduced.

Your assertion that Arizona and southwest water issues are a localized problem speak to your lack of understanding the area. Do some research on where most US lettuce supply comes from every winter. Look at the other vast agriculture areas fed by the Colorado river, one of the valleys multiple water supplies. Then come back with some actual fact based reasoning instead of the same tired, disproven opinions people have been spewing since the1930s.

I spent the better part of a decade in New England, I didn’t mind it but missed the beauty and vastness of the West that nowhere out East can really compare to. I don’t know many folks who go through summers in New England without a/c, even the old homes are stacked full of inefficient window units humming away on hot July nights. The idea that global warming isn’t going to wreak havoc on northern cities is another falsehood Phoenix haters love to toss around.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:47 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,049,167 times
Loco, that was a great post. We have some awesome contributors in this room.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:25 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
There’s a few reasons, Europeans settled on the East Coast first and life in the West was made possible by modern engineering that could store water and the south became much more comfortable after A/C came to be. There’s many more reasons the population center of the country has continued to shift south and west for roughly the last 70 years. And the Midwest/Northeast remains home to shrinking or barely growing metros.

Phoenix did hit 100 on 1 day in April and has remained below since, we’ll be around 90 tomorrow and the mid 80s most of the next week. Enjoy the snow, we get our fix of that just up the road from Phoenix a few hours.

You’ll have to excuse us locals for pointing out that your opinions don’t match the facts, we do after all live here. The valley uses less water now than 50 years ago, less agriculture. When adjustments are needed for water use we will reduce grass and all of the snowbirds escaping the wintery nigtmare that is New England and the upper Midwest can golf on dirt or go somewhere else. At the end of the day most of us could care less if the 70% of water used to dump on lawns needs to be reduced.

Your assertion that Arizona and southwest water issues are a localized problem speak to your lack of understanding the area. Do some research on where most US lettuce supply comes from every winter. Look at the other vast agriculture areas fed by the Colorado river, one of the valleys multiple water supplies. Then come back with some actual fact based reasoning instead of the same tired, disproven opinions people have been spewing since the1930s.

I spent the better part of a decade in New England, I didn’t mind it but missed the beauty and vastness of the West that nowhere out East can really compare to. I don’t know many folks who go through summers in New England without a/c, even the old homes are stacked full of inefficient window units humming away on hot July nights. The idea that global warming isn’t going to wreak havoc on northern cities is another falsehood Phoenix haters love to toss around.
2 days, April 10th and yesterday (both hit 100°)

Old 04-28-2018, 02:00 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,270,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post

People started migrating south & west long before the 1980s ... however, you are correct that A/C availability & affordability was a big reason for this. As far as the heat goes, I admit it's difficult to deal with. Those who are new here claim to like the heat because of the lack of humidity, but many of them sing a different tune after a few years here because it becomes monotonous & seemingly never ending. Keep in mind also the weather pattern has been abnormal lately. We usually DON'T hit 100 degrees in April, but it was unusually warm here this winter, so it was pretty much expected that the spring would be unusually warm as well.

As far as water: yes it's a concern, but we have plenty of water sources: the CAP, as well as a number of reservoirs east of here. Despite the fact that we've been in a drought cycle for a while, there was smart planning many years ago on the water supplies. There is no foreseeable danger of running close to dangerous or critical levels. If it was a critical drought situation, Phoenix would have been under mandatory restrictions by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area