Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 02:11 PM

19,461 posts, read 27,969,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Just don't buy a converted apartment. That is where most of the problems with noise happens. A purpose built condo should have no problems.
THIS. Above all else. And there are TONS of those apartment conversions and, no, the owners and realtors are not obligated to tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
I would think that ground floor units are more desireable for older folks who don't want to climb stairs or elevators. My mother-in-law has much difficulty with stairs, so they won't consider anything but ground floor apartments. And those units do seem harder to find, I assumed it was due to this reason. Seems like ground floor would have better resale value overall.
I think if you look at statistics, you see that the upper floors tend to sell at a higher price. Same as the upper floors of an apartment building go for more money than the ground floor. (GENERALLY speaking, of course.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 03:13 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,672,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Watch out for the HOA fees and regulations here in AZ regarding condos. There is an older, prominent complex
near Central and Camelback in Phoenix that made news last year with the HOA assessed all property owners at least $15,000 to replace the building’s HVAC system. Also, state law allows for condominium termination which allows for the sale of an entire condo complex if 80 percent of unit owners agree. The issue lies when investors buy the 80 percent of the units and force the remaining residents out. You’re still supposed to receive fair market value for your condo, but the idea of being forced out of a place that you own by means other than eminent domain is unnerving.

I know this really has nothing to do with your post, but I think it’s good to be aware of this side of condo ownership in AZ.

Same thing goes for townhomes?

Old 05-15-2018, 04:00 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,526,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Same thing goes for townhomes?

I would think not. With a townhome, you own the land under it. Different laws apply.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:16 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,613,963 times
Look for an end unit townhome. You'll get the amenities of condo living but usually a single or 2 story building that is yours, just shared walls. (check who pays for maintenance such as A/C, roofing, pool repairs, etc.).

Old 05-17-2018, 03:29 AM

9,844 posts, read 11,248,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
My biggest fear would be the leaking toilet or broken water line from above apartment dripping down from the ceiling onto everything.
And a legitimate fear. We hade a condo on the beach. The shower leaked inside of the walls. My neighbor downstairs got wet as well as the lobby. Next up, a hose to the whirlpool split under full pressure. Our renters woke up to 1" of water in most of the 2600 square foot condo. Yep, my neighbor downstairs got that too and the lobby again.

If it matters, the #2 insurance claim category is water damage. I've had a total of 8 homeowners insurance claims over the past 32 years of ownership (sometimes I have had three homes at one time; nearly always two homes). 6 were water related, and two were hail related (hail is the #1 claim). Zero theft, zero fire, etc. See https://www.zillow.com/blog/common-h...-claims-190921

Old 05-17-2018, 02:47 PM

23 posts, read 17,869 times
I had a vampire live above me once. No peep from him until midnight, then he got out of his coffin and dragged it around. It wasn't fun..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: