Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 03:28 PM

43 posts, read 112,518 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking into purchasing a condo (new to AZ) and was wondering what tips you could give us regarding level (floor 1,2,3,4) my husband doesn't want anyone living above us, but I wonder about cooling top floor condos. Thoughts? Will we run into creepy crawlies on first floor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 04:05 PM

673 posts, read 467,485 times
I don't like people so this may be overlooked as a non-answer. Your husband is 100 percent correct. Having anyone living over the top of you could make your life hell. From toilets flushing to just walking around. No thanks.

Try and find a single story complex, you will pay more but what price peace of mind? OR, buy a house and have a gardener. There, problem solved.

No matter what anyone tells you, unless there are concrete floors and walls...........it's unpleasant. Many years ago I made that mistake. Some people don't mind........but it ain't me.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:27 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,649,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosilly View Post
I don't like people so this may be overlooked as a non-answer. Your husband is 100 percent correct. Having anyone living over the top of you could make your life hell. From toilets flushing to just walking around. No thanks.

Try and find a single story complex, you will pay more but what price peace of mind? OR, buy a house and have a gardener. There, problem solved.

No matter what anyone tells you, unless there are concrete floors and walls...........it's unpleasant. Many years ago I made that mistake. Some people don't mind........but it ain't me.
We live on the bottom floor of our apartment complex, and don't notice any problems, but our complex is concrete and steel rather than the typical wood and stucco

Old 05-14-2018, 06:09 PM

6,783 posts, read 5,086,674 times
I will suggest it has more to do with the building's construction, and not what level you're on. I've lived in places where I could hear the next door neighbors talking, running water in the shower, etc.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:36 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,667,183 times
I live downstairs in my apartment unit and my walls are made out of brick and concrete. I cannot hear my neighbors but i can hear the upstairs toilet flush.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:41 PM

43 posts, read 112,518 times
I appreciate the input!

Old 05-15-2018, 03:56 AM

8,280 posts, read 8,681,604 times
Just don't buy a converted apartment. That is where most of the problems with noise happens. A purpose built condo should have no problems.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:28 AM

843 posts, read 569,154 times
I would think that ground floor units are more desireable for older folks who don't want to climb stairs or elevators. My mother-in-law has much difficulty with stairs, so they won't consider anything but ground floor apartments. And those units do seem harder to find, I assumed it was due to this reason. Seems like ground floor would have better resale value overall.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:09 PM

44,659 posts, read 61,722,489 times
My biggest fear would be the leaking toilet or broken water line from above apartment dripping down from the ceiling onto everything.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:23 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,633,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpepsi View Post
My husband and I are looking into purchasing a condo (new to AZ) and was wondering what tips you could give us regarding level (floor 1,2,3,4) my husband doesn't want anyone living above us, but I wonder about cooling top floor condos. Thoughts? Will we run into creepy crawlies on first floor?
Watch out for the HOA fees and regulations here in AZ regarding condos. There is an older, prominent complex
near Central and Camelback in Phoenix that made news last year with the HOA assessed all property owners at least $15,000 to replace the building’s HVAC system. Also, state law allows for condominium termination which allows for the sale of an entire condo complex if 80 percent of unit owners agree. The issue lies when investors buy the 80 percent of the units and force the remaining residents out. You’re still supposed to receive fair market value for your condo, but the idea of being forced out of a place that you own by means other than eminent domain is unnerving.

I know this really has nothing to do with your post, but I think it’s good to be aware of this side of condo ownership in AZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: