Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 07:58 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,242,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
And your solar system was free?
Post #6 says what I paid and how much I'm saving a year. That is entirely irrelevant when purchasing a home with solar. Even if there is a loan on the solar it is paid off when you buy.

What a stupid comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 07:42 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Post #6 says what I paid and how much I'm saving a year. That is entirely irrelevant when purchasing a home with solar. Even if there is a loan on the solar it is paid off when you buy.

What a stupid comment.
Actually no, post #6 shows a bunch of different numbers but NOT what you actually paid. What a STUPID answer... If you were somehow in your circular answer trying to say that your system cost you $8k and saves you that much from APS then I'd have to call B.S....

Old 06-13-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Actually no, post #6 shows a bunch of different numbers but NOT what you actually paid. What a STUPID answer... If you were somehow in your circular answer trying to say that your system cost you $8k and saves you that much from APS then I'd have to call B.S....
You are technically right, I didnt include the actual number because it is entirely irrelevant to the conversation for the reasons I stated in my last reply. However, I did include the math to figure it out.

Quote:
A 3 year old system the owner has gotten about half of his ROI out of the system so I'd only value it at about $600 - $800 per kW installed
Using the math I provided you would come out to $13.1k - $17.4k (10.92 * $600 * 2 to 10.92 * $800 * 2) which I paid right in the middle of that at $16.5k.

Followed up a stupid, and completely off topic, comment with another one.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
You are technically right, I didnt include the actual number because it is entirely irrelevant to the conversation for the reasons I stated in my last reply. However, I did include the math to figure it out.

Using the math I provided you would come out to $13.1k - $17.4k (10.92 * $600 * 2 to 10.92 * $800 * 2) which I paid right in the middle of that at $16.5k.

Followed up a stupid, and completely off topic, comment with another one.
Sorry, the original total cost does in fact matter,especially in today's world where there's no way in hell Solar pencils out, in other words, only APS and the Solar companies make out...

Old 06-13-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Nothing wrong with owned solar, I wouldn't pay more for the home because owned solar is there though unless the system is under 3 years old and installed before Dec 2017 (ensure it is grandfathered). If it was installed in 2018 or later then it isn't grandfathered and the major benefits will evaporate BUT it isn't bad enough to avoid the home just don't pay more for it.
Quote:
Sorry, the original total cost does in fact matter,especially in today's world where there's no way in hell Solar pencils out, in other words, only APS and the Solar companies make out...
Original system cost does not matter for purchasing an owned solar house, the system will be 100% paid off when the sale closes. If the loan is paid off, or was paid in full when purchased, then what does the original cost matter? I addressed the major issue with newer systems in my post, quoted above. A grandfathered home will have the benefits of full net metering for 20 years after the system installation date. That means on a 3 year old system the solar still saves a ton of money for 17 more years and the grandfathering is transferable between owners, the property is grandfathered not the owner.

Get your blind anti-solar garbage out of here. It isn't relevant to the discussion at hand and it isn't as black and white as some fools try to make it seem.

New solar installs need to drop in price by about 20% from where they were 9 months ago and another 5% to 10% per year after this year over the next decade to make any sense. But we aren't discussing that here are we? The topic was buying a home with existing solar so the new rules that began at the end of last year aren't in effect, stay on topic.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Original system cost does not matter for purchasing an owned solar house, the system will be 100% paid off when the sale closes. If the loan is paid off, or was paid in full when purchased, then what does the original cost matter? I addressed the major issue with newer systems in my post, quoted above. A grandfathered home will have the benefits of full net metering for 20 years after the system installation date. That means on a 3 year old system the solar still saves a ton of money for 17 more years and the grandfathering is transferable between owners, the property is grandfathered not the owner.

Get your blind anti-solar garbage out of here. It isn't relevant to the discussion at hand and it isn't as black and white as some fools try to make it seem.

New solar installs need to drop in price by about 20% from where they were 9 months ago and another 5% to 10% per year after this year over the next decade to make any sense. But we aren't discussing that here are we? The topic was buying a home with existing solar so the new rules that began at the end of last year aren't in effect, stay on topic.
The OP was rather broad as were posts since so I was and am "on topic". I'll address topics as I see fit no matter what YOUR opinion is.
I don't tell you what or how to post so back it up bubba...

Not "blind anti-solar" in the least and in fact just bought a house with leased Solar and have done rather heavy research into the subject before and since and that led to the fact that unless one purchased a system years ago with all the rebates they don't pencil out.

Now if one buys a house with a fully prepaid Solar lease, a prepayment that is not made by the current owner or buyer then there is a reduction in the downside to Solar, a couple of downsides like when your roof has to be replaced (currently a $1700 charge to remove/replace system in our case) or the panels need cleaning (according to our lease they have to be cleaned by Solar company) or if your roof springs a leak due to the system/caulking etc it's on you.

If one buys a home with a system that's too small and/or doesn't meet your current needs then you're basically screwed so you'd better take that into account when looking at existing systems.

If one purchases a home and the price of said home is inflated due to Solar system/prepay then the benefits go away.
Anyone who buys into the Solar scam nowadays is NOT saving anything, it's just a lifestyle choice...

Old 06-14-2018, 07:50 AM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
I have yet t see a solar scheme where the savings from reduced energy usage exceeds the costs of the acquisition/installation of the system. I will admit that my average electricity bill is $45/ month.

If the investment does not have a positive ROI, I am not doing it.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:16 AM

11 posts, read 9,514 times
AZ Manager: What is being "grandfathered"?

Old 06-29-2018, 09:51 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,811,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapjockey View Post
AZ Manager: What is being "grandfathered"?
When they have increases or changes in the next 20 years, yours is "grandfathered" into the old price plan. So basically you're locked into the old rules and rates.

Also,it's the home that's grandfathered (not the customer) so if you're looking at homes and want solar look for one that's been grandfathered in.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:12 AM

2,282 posts, read 3,082,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
When they have increases or changes in the next 20 years, yours is "grandfathered" into the old price plan. So basically you're locked into the old rules and rates.

Also,it's the home that's grandfathered (not the customer) so if you're looking at homes and want solar look for one that's been grandfathered in.
Correct. I bought a house with solar and I was grandfathered in under the old net-metering rules. It's great. My electricity bill is essentially zero aside from the amount I pay for the leasing of the panels, which is still far less than my energy costs would be going straight through APS (especially since my house was built in the 50's and is a larger home, so not inherently energy efficient). Also, the fact that peak kw generation is in the summer when the sun is most intense makes up for the fact that AC usage, and thus power usage, is higher in the summer also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: