Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 11:37 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,049,080 times

Advertisements

Just for my own interest I did a discounted cash flow analysis of PV solar. Here are the assumptions I used...

Cost of installation is $3 per maximum watt of output
Servicable lifespan of 25 years
Output degrades over time at 1%/year
Value of electricity is 11 cents/kWh, increasing at 3% annually
Owner is able to use 2/3 of the available solar insolation for the Phoenix area

I did not add any allowance for maintenance, JFYI.

Using a discounted cash flow analysis, the result is a compounded return of about 7%. Keep in mind, since this is a savings and not reportable as income the return is effectively after taxes. 7% compounded after taxes is similar to long-run stock market returns.

The whole sticking point here is being able to use all of the electricity. Storage is too expensive today, and grid-tie contracts have their own issues. Now we just need some enterprising folks to figure out a cost-effective way to store energy. Keep in mind there are many ways to store energy

Last edited by hikernut; 07-03-2018 at 12:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 06:30 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,176,649 times
BTW- I noticed that solar panel prices went up from ~40c per W to ~80c per Watt over the last year. Not sure if this is true on a wholesale basis as well I can only say about retail (few panels). Ouch. That should make installs a lot more expensive. We've seen energy prices go up across the board, so it's not out of the ordinary, plus tariffs.

When you calculate 11c per kWh, isn't that too low? I think we pay ~15c off peak and more than double on peak? - Thanks!

Old 07-03-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
BTW- I noticed that solar panel prices went up from ~40c per W to ~80c per Watt over the last year. Not sure if this is true on a wholesale basis as well I can only say about retail (few panels). Ouch. That should make installs a lot more expensive. We've seen energy prices go up across the board, so it's not out of the ordinary, plus tariffs.

When you calculate 11c per kWh, isn't that too low? I think we pay ~15c off peak and more than double on peak? - Thanks!

I just made some guesses. If electric rates are higher then obviously the return on investment will be higher.

There seems to be quite a variation in panel prices depending on the supplier. I just checked www.wholesalesolar.com. I've never purchased panels, from them or anyone else. I'm curious about the possibility, but not really into spending thousands of dollars on something like this until I'm sure we are not moving for a long time, and there is a good payback.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:45 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,176,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
I just made some guesses. If electric rates are higher then obviously the return on investment will be higher.

There seems to be quite a variation in panel prices depending on the supplier. I just checked www.wholesalesolar.com. I've never purchased panels, from them or anyone else. I'm curious about the possibility, but not really into spending thousands of dollars on something like this until I'm sure we are not moving for a long time, and there is a good payback.
Ugh. Those prices are even higher. I think you have to add sales tax now as well - the exception is gone if I'm not mistaken. Sunelec still seems to sell for around 70c per W in small quantities. But a year ago it was below 40 cents.

Old 07-04-2018, 07:31 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,001,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Just for my own interest I did a discounted cash flow analysis of PV solar. Here are the assumptions I used...

Cost of installation is $3 per maximum watt of output
Servicable lifespan of 25 years
Output degrades over time at 1%/year
Value of electricity is 11 cents/kWh, increasing at 3% annually
Owner is able to use 2/3 of the available solar insolation for the Phoenix area

I did not add any allowance for maintenance, JFYI.

Using a discounted cash flow analysis, the result is a compounded return of about 7%. Keep in mind, since this is a savings and not reportable as income the return is effectively after taxes. 7% compounded after taxes is similar to long-run stock market returns.

The whole sticking point here is being able to use all of the electricity. Storage is too expensive today, and grid-tie contracts have their own issues. Now we just need some enterprising folks to figure out a cost-effective way to store energy. Keep in mind there are many ways to store energy
It's on it's way! There are several companies that already have a solution that will store the 3 days worth of "Power on Demand" that is said to be required to effectively stop all need of the grid. The issue now is cost but they're working on that part of it...

Old 07-04-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
It's on it's way! There are several companies that already have a solution that will store the 3 days worth of "Power on Demand" that is said to be required to effectively stop all need of the grid. The issue now is cost but they're working on that part of it...
For residential the only issue is cost. We've had batteries for a long time. When my dad was a kid they ran the farmhouse off batteries, back in the 1940s.

Are they close? Do they give an estimated timeframe when they'll have something that's economically viable?

Old 07-05-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post

I'm on SRP, so I looked up the current rates on their Basic Plan. The rates vary a bit depending on the month and the usage amount. Highest rates are over 13 cents.

FWIW, I re-did the analysis using 12.5 cents per kWh, and the return comes out to about 8.5% compounded. Again, this assumes $3/watt installed, and using 2/3 of the theoretical max sunlight available in Phoenix. If the cost could be driven down to $2.50 per watt then the return is almost 11%. That's getting interesting, IMO.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

Can you point us to an article? I'm curious, but honestly don't know a lot about the state of battery technology.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:01 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,044,875 times
Wouldn't it make more sense to just super-insulate your home? I say this not knowing anything about solar pros/cons, but at least it's a home improvement with a good rate of return (when or if you sell.)

Old 07-06-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Wouldn't it make more sense to just super-insulate your home?

To a point, sure. I'd guess most houses that are built today would benefit from a better shell. But there's a point of diminishing returns even with insulation and sealing. And of course, insulation won't run your washer/dryer, haha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: