Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 11:49 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,084,568 times

Advertisements

I was briefly in Phx yesterday but thankfully did not see anything. Why does Safeway put flat roofs on their stores? Seems like a real invite for calamity. All those items burned to a crisp. My daughter said it's a big "fire sale". LOL But thankfully no one was hurt. Even the bank money gone. I saw it on TV and thought about all those people who shop there but can't anymore. Phx Firefighters rock !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 11:53 AM

843 posts, read 569,949 times
Flat roofs are common everywhere, even back east where snow and ice cause even more weight concerns. I saw the "flat roof" statement in the news story, but I don't get it.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:30 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,335,349 times
Not too many commercial properties with pitched roofs out there. The driving factor is HVAC and other equipment needed for a large building. They are not really flat. Usually problems arise when the drains plug. This is a great time though to warn everyone - NEVER buy a house with a flat roof. They all leak sooner rather than later.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:01 PM

843 posts, read 569,949 times
Quote from the latest news story:

"Capt. Rob McDade said fire investigators are on scene looking at the possibility that there was a partial roof collapse to the rear of the store that broke a gas line and damaged the main electrical box.

McDade said a microburst in the area dropped a large amount of rain prior to the fire and the flat roof of the store could have collected rain from previous storms this week."

It doesn't sound like it was only the fact that the roof was flat. Snow and ice collect on roofs up north and east, and roofs seldom ever collapse. Not even after a good amount of snow falls then temps exceed 32 F and it starts to melt and becomes wet snow. Maybe it might leak. And I am old, so I have a lot of history but also a poor memory...

If the roof collapsing from rainwater did indeed cause the fire, it would seem that either the design and/or construction was substandard (not sloped toward the drains and/or not strong enough), or preventive maintenance was not properly done (such as cleaning the drains and downspouts). Otherwise, how could it have "collected rain from previous storms this week." Water does weigh about 8.3 lb/gal, but it should not be collecting over the course of days. It should only collect during the actual storm itself, if the rate of rainfall exceeds the rate of drainage.

Last edited by KO Stradivarius; 07-12-2018 at 01:37 PM..

Old 07-12-2018, 01:26 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,978,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Not too many commercial properties with pitched roofs out there. The driving factor is HVAC and other equipment needed for a large building. They are not really flat. Usually problems arise when the drains plug. This is a great time though to warn everyone - NEVER buy a house with a flat roof. They all leak sooner rather than later.
While this is true the converse is also true, it costs almost nothing to fix or replace a flat roof.

Nobody can see your patchy white paint and roof tape but they can see when your shingles don’t match.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:32 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,293,381 times
The flat roofs aren't completely flat of course, there's a parapet wall that is flat which hides the mechanicals and you can't see the slight pitch so it appears completely flat.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:38 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,256,095 times
Could you imagine how tall a big store like that would be if they pitched the roof like a home. One fire and people pick on the roof... What about the other thousands, or millions, of buildings that haven't had a fire.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:47 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,195,986 times
We live about five miles away and could see the smoke. There are homes and apartments close by the location; I can imagine they must have some smoke impact. The Fire depts all worked together coming to fight this fire, so glad no one was hurt in this fire. I understand Safeway is going to try to place the employees in other stores; they already have said they are going to do this with the employees involved in the two previously announced store closures. There are only so many positions available.

Again,so glad that no one was hurt.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:10 PM

15,444 posts, read 9,144,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
Flat roofs are common everywhere, even back east where snow and ice cause even more weight concerns. I saw the "flat roof" statement in the news story, but I don't get it.
I think it is interesting that all Safeway stores built between the 1950s and the 1970s had curved or peaked roofs. That was Safeway's trademark. But they abandoned that design when they built larger super stores in the 1980s. It's too bad, because those Safeway stores were really well built. Many of the old buildings, that Safeway didn't tear down, have been repurposed for other uses and still exist today. If this store had been the old design, it's highly unlikely that this fire would have occured.

Mid-Century Modern Safeway Supermarkets

Old 07-12-2018, 05:18 PM

186 posts, read 196,053 times
If it truly was a microburst, the wind loading alone could have caused the collapse. I guess one would have to view the Doppler radar to see if the storm tracked directly over the building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area