Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 10:19 PM

2,346 posts, read 2,703,359 times

Advertisements

Have a tract house built in 2002. 1692 sf. Stucco. A/c unit has problem, may have to just install new system rather than putting money into old one.

Obviously house is already set up for central air. What's the going rate these days?

What's a 4 bedroom 1692 house need?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 10:35 PM

23,300 posts, read 29,167,778 times
You might want to consider repairing your older unit. I've heard it from a few A/C repair men who have worked on my older unit, saying the newer high tech units can break down more often. But that's based just on 3 A/C repair men.

The cost of a new one depends on the brand. Carrier or Trane or whatever. I hear that Trane is the most expensive. It's a very good idea to have some kind of back-up to your A/C unit as I've learned this summer when my unit went kaput. A/C repairmen are so log-jammed in the summer you might have to put in a very sweaty wait for someone to arrive.

My A/C repair man came soon enough, but he had to order parts and wait for parts, took 4 days. So I ran out and bought one of these portable A/C units where you put a hose thru a window. Works beautifully for 200-300 SF. It can be a lifesaver.

My RE agent's A/C went out a couple days ago, and being a RE agent she has lots of contacts, resources, and even then, she's had to wait a long, long 2 days for help to arrive.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:16 PM

44,679 posts, read 61,809,426 times
We had a Trane 19-i seer unit installed 14 years ago and have never had one problem or service call since. It reduced our ac bill by over 50% from an older Carrier unit.
This same unit today has been upgraded to 20 seer and should cost you in the neighborhood of $6-8,000.00 adapted to your old duct work, but depending on what upgrades you may need and any ductwork conversion/upgrade it may cost more. You'll also get an upgraded thermostat with installation.
Call around and get a free estimate for your area. Southern and Western state generally need larger units due to the higher heat and humidity you experience.
Also check and see if there are any utility rebates available now for energy efficiency upgrading.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:30 PM

102 posts, read 112,044 times
5-9k, depending on lots of factors.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:48 AM

13,979 posts, read 8,146,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
Have a tract house built in 2002. 1692 sf. Stucco. A/c unit has problem, may have to just install new system rather than putting money into old one.

Obviously house is already set up for central air. What's the going rate these days?

What's a 4 bedroom 1692 house need?

Most AC units use the same major parts so spending money on a name brand isn't always better. Much more important is the quality of the person doing the installation.

The problems is without a strong recommendation you can easily get stuck with an AC vendor who isn't very good. You also want someone local and not 45 away.

For your size home you're likely looking at a 4 ton unit which will cost in the $4500-$6000 range. Again the quality of the installation is of the utmost importance. Not the brand.

Good luck.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:24 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,510,433 times
Out of curiosity, how much would it save to have just the condenser/compressor unit replaced instead of the whole system (i.e. air handler, refrigerant lines, etc.)?

I assume the bulk of the cost of replacing an a/c system is dealing with the air handler as it would require the most amount of work... if it's still in good condition, why not have them just clean it up and reuse it? A 2002 built house probably has a reasonably up-to-date/efficient air handler installed...

Just wondering.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:58 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,935,987 times
you've got a 16 year old original unit giving you problems and its been running most of the time in the Arizona desert heat..
You'll regret putting money into a dying unit, and, as others have said, when it breaks down and the repair world is swamped with service calls, you will wait..
If you are staying in the house for the near future, just buy a new unit, and you'll be able to sleep at night and not worry if its going to fail on you..

Old 07-23-2018, 08:00 AM

7,329 posts, read 12,395,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Out of curiosity, how much would it save to have just the condenser/compressor unit replaced instead of the whole system (i.e. air handler, refrigerant lines, etc.)?

I assume the bulk of the cost of replacing an a/c system is dealing with the air handler as it would require the most amount of work... if it's still in good condition, why not have them just clean it up and reuse it? A 2002 built house probably has a reasonably up-to-date/efficient air handler installed...

Just wondering.
If the old system uses R-22, then it won't be possible to replace only the condenser since new R-22 condensers are no longer available; a DOE ruling stated that condensers must meet energy efficiency guidelines using their highest sales volume combination, and since the EPA prohibits the sale of complete R-22 systems, an R-22 condenser doesn't have a highest sales volume combination therefore fails to meet the DOE's efficiency testing requirements.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:45 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,801,991 times
Thanks for this explanation. I knew the general concept re: R-22 but the extra details will help me explain to my neighbors why I'm replacing the entire HVAC system instead of just the AC. I think they're all in denial and think it's a simple fix. If only . . .

Old 07-23-2018, 09:51 PM

2,346 posts, read 2,703,359 times
I dodged the bullet for now. A condenser fan replacement covered by HOW except for $70 deductible will hopefully carry me thru till winter. Then I will have plenty of time to shop for a new one.

Mine is 2002 so I'm sure it's R-22. LIke to just get a new system. But I'm ok with a brand like Goodman probably.

This is a rental property for me in Avondale. I'm cross the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: