Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 06:32 AM

3,825 posts, read 9,495,149 times

Advertisements

My ex-wife grew up in the North Central corridor and I've lived in and around that area for years. That part of town doesn't have the nightlife and high end shopping that Arcadia has. Plus like others have mentioned, not next door to Scottsdale. Also a generalization, but the North Central corridor has in the past been a doctor's and lawyer's neighborhood. It's a 15-20 minute drive down to the hospitals and law firms in uptown Phoenix.

The other downside is that the neighborhoods can go from million dollar mansions to the third world and back in a few blocks. I have taken walks and runs around and seen an expensive house on one block and two blocks away there is dingy shack with chickens in the yard. Plus the canals that traverse the area are known by the police and locals as the "homeless highway".

The upshot is if you like hiking on trails, it is a lot easier to access places to hit the dirt in North Phoenix. It's a nice escape to be only 5-10 minutes away from Shaw Butte, North Mountain, Squaw Peak and other trails. If you like to head north for the weekend, I-17 is minutes away as well and you shave 20-30 minutes off your trip to Flagstaff or Prescott. Plus for funky, local ethnic food the choices are better in North Phoenix.

For schools our family and many of the other families in the area did not send our kids to the local school district. Charter and private schools were the solution to a decent education. The big district in the area (Washington) was tired of losing their best and brightest students and created their answer to a charter school with Lincoln Traditional School. We sent our kids there for elementary and have nothing but high praise for that school. But it is on the other side of the freeway near 35th & Peoria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 02:46 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,753,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
To me Uptown is from Camelback north, 19th avenue on the west, and the 51 on the east with northern being the top boundary.
I think of it as starting at the Grand Canal on the south, and bordered east and west by the 7s.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:27 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,838,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I think of it as starting at the Grand Canal on the south, and bordered east and west by the 7s.
That would break up the Melrose neighborhood, not to mention I believe the 7s are too narrow for Uptown. Though I do believe that Midtown is defined by the 7s. For example I think Luci's is part of Uptown, and that's on 16th street and Bethany Home.

I do wish Phoenix was like other cities with neighborhood boundaries people could agree upon. It seems like only the historic districts (Garfield, Coronado, etc) and some other well known areas like Maryvale and Sunnyslope have agreed upon boundaries.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:03 AM

872 posts, read 1,001,780 times
How far south would you say Arcadia neighborhood goes? I know that Arcadia features some real nice areas but 32-52 streets from thomas down is not so nice. Not sure if this area is included

Old 08-14-2018, 10:12 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,671,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
How far south would you say Arcadia neighborhood goes? I know that Arcadia features some real nice areas but 32-52 streets from thomas down is not so nice. Not sure if this area is included
Arcadia's southern border is the canal.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:06 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Arcadia's southern border is the canal.

There's a lot of "Arcadia creep" with that label attached to real estate and business names outside the area, but Arcadia proper is bordered on the south by the canal,( which is north of Indian School Rd) west by 44th St, east by 68th, (there's a stretch off Lafayette east of 68th that is arguably part of it) and on the north by Camelback Road.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:34 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,292,334 times
Actually, there are three Arcadias. The area known as Arcadia Proper is what most of us refer to when discussing the true Arcadia. Then there is Arcadia Lite and Lower Arcadia. Many businesses in the Lower Arcadia area still tout the Arcadia name, even though this area is much less desirable.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:50 PM

33 posts, read 36,269 times
What would you call the neighborhood north of Camelback, south of Lincoln, betweeen 40TH and 44th streets? Arcadia schools and large lots, but definitely not green lawns like Arcadia proper. It’s not paradise valley, but similar with generally smaller/older homes.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:39 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,292,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerzz View Post
What would you call the neighborhood north of Camelback, south of Lincoln, betweeen 40TH and 44th streets? Arcadia schools and large lots, but definitely not green lawns like Arcadia proper. It’s not paradise valley, but similar with generally smaller/older homes.
Good question. That area is part of Camelback East, but parts of it are very Arcadia like, and other parts have more in common with Paradise Valley in terms of the way the streets are laid out, as well as the design of many of the homes & yards. I've heard some refer to it as Arcadia Villa.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:49 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerzz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Good question. That area is part of Camelback East, but parts of it are very Arcadia like, and other parts have more in common with Paradise Valley in terms of the way the streets are laid out, as well as the design of many of the homes & yards. I've heard some refer to it as Arcadia Villa.

A chunk of it IS in Paradise Valley town limits. https://www.maptechnica.com/city-map...ley/AZ/0452930 As for the parts that are not, without irrigated yards, to me, agree with the above, it's more like PV, and it's not Arcadia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area