Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 09:42 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,661,913 times

Advertisements

So, as a recent California transplant, I went to the Crossroads gun show at the fairgrounds yesterday. And I gotta say, I was kind of disappointed. Everyone had the same stuff. I wanted to grab an AR-15, but my choices were pretty much the low end (everyone and their brother had S&W and Ruger for $500ish) or these 1337 operator "custom" builds that I don't need and have no way of trusting. I would have grabbed an AK, but everyone had century builds. I saw one CETME for a decent price, but it was CAI too. Where were the FALs, aside from the guy selling the neat parts kits?

Is that really the best the Valley has to offer? Are there bigger shows, or shows that are maybe aimed towards a different group than the go-out-in-the-desert-and-blaze-away crowd? That was kind of the feeling I got.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 09:53 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,217,887 times
Crossroads is the biggest show in the Valley, although the three-day December show (Small Arms Review show) usually draws more vendors.

If you want the best prices and selection, online ordering is the way to go. Just need to find an FFL that will do the transfer for a reasonable fee. $25 is about average, and my dealer up here in Flagstaff only charges $15. By way of example, I just ordered this Windham Weaponry AR-15 rifle. Price is hard to beat, and with free shipping and no tax I'm saving anywhere from $200-300 over a local shop:

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst....cfm/ID/141298

Old 01-20-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Crossroads is the biggest show in the Valley, although the three-day December show (Small Arms Review show) usually draws more vendors.
Thanks for that! I did overhear a couple of comments about how this show was much less crowded.

Quote:
If you want the best prices and selection, online ordering is the way to go. Just need to find an FFL that will do the transfer for a reasonable fee. $25 is about average, and my dealer up here in Flagstaff only charges $15. By way of example, I just ordered this Windham Weaponry AR-15 rifle. Price is hard to beat, and with free shipping and no tax I'm saving anywhere from $200-300 over a local shop:

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst....cfm/ID/141298
Yeah, I'm considering that... I would like a middie, and I may just order one, or even get a PSA parts kit as I found a lower in a box I was unpacking I did like the idea of picking it up and going, but the selection just wasn't there.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:49 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
You go to gun shows for the beef jerky, not the guns.

Buy what you want online.. If you're on the northside, bell rd pawn does $15 transfers..

Old 01-20-2019, 03:53 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
December is the big Crossroads show. January is probably a bit stale. There's so many gun shops here and with the internet you can find whatever you're looking for. Crossroads brings in a lot of people from California.

Go another time and see if there's new inventory or vendors.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:29 AM

42 posts, read 48,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
So, as a recent California transplant, I went to the Crossroads gun show at the fairgrounds yesterday. And I gotta say, I was kind of disappointed. Everyone had the same stuff. I wanted to grab an AR-15, but my choices were pretty much the low end (everyone and their brother had S&W and Ruger for $500ish) or these 1337 operator "custom" builds that I don't need and have no way of trusting. I would have grabbed an AK, but everyone had century builds. I saw one CETME for a decent price, but it was CAI too. Where were the FALs, aside from the guy selling the neat parts kits?

Is that really the best the Valley has to offer? Are there bigger shows, or shows that are maybe aimed towards a different group than the go-out-in-the-desert-and-blaze-away crowd? That was kind of the feeling I got.
why go to a show at all? There are plenty of nice stores with anything you want and basically no rules for purchasing like you have in Cali

Old 01-22-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchurainprez View Post
why go to a show at all? There are plenty of nice stores with anything you want and basically no rules for purchasing like you have in Cali
Sometimes, it's nice to browse a bunch of stuff all in one place. I always loved going to the Nations Gun Show in Dulles... NFA stuff, a really wide variety, all sorts of interesting things.

I do need to take a tour of gun stores near me. I've found a bunch by Googling. Can anyone recommend anything in particular near Chandler? I like real old-school gun stores run by real old-school gun guys. I've seen too many that are dedicated to tricked-out "race guns" for people who want to look cool. I'm not a 1337 Operator, I don't want a rifle covered with rails and bling.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:31 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,085 times
Gun shows use to be fun years ago,there seemed to be better quality stuff there too. Now with everything available online most gun shows are way overpriced and just not worth my time going to. Like you I moved here from a Commie state (MA) and thought the shows here would be much better, but they're not. I buy/build a lot of mine from PSA,you just cannot beat their email deals and customer service!

Now if you want to see some really cool stuff like cannons and full autos,take a trip up to Wikieup,AZ. Twice a year they have the Big Sandy Shoot where people from all around bring out the big guns,literally! You can even rent (supervised) machine guns and .50 cal and a lot of others.

The Big Sandy Shoot

Old 05-03-2019, 11:22 PM

125 posts, read 159,046 times
Im going to go look at safes, hopefully a good selection

Old 05-04-2019, 10:01 AM

990 posts, read 2,556,922 times
I come from the Eastern Occupied Zone.... So I get the desire for the AR type rifles.

However, I kind of like the "crossroads show", for the more mundane items...

Old Smith and Wesson revolvers, finding difficult to locate magazines and parts. Browning rifles and pistols. etc..

One of the problems i see with the industry in general is that there is a bewildering number of manufacturers making basically the same items. AR rifles and 1911 pistols.

How do you know which one is worth the money.

Consider..... off the top of my head in the amount of time it takes to type this...

AR's are currently or recently been manufactured by..... Colt, Bushmaster, Windham Armory, Armalite, Ruger, Smith and Wesson, Rock River, Daniels Defense, Fulton, Brownells, Remington... I know there is more, but this is simply off the top of my head...

The worst part is, those I have named are largely producing virtually identical products.

Who is good... Who is bad... Who's to tell.... The market is way too crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area