Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 03:49 PM

225 posts, read 144,561 times

Advertisements

Lived in LA (Los Feliz) very close to Griffith Park. LA'a always been full of vehicles, but in 80's and 90's it was a cooler place to be in my humble opinion. Visited my old neighborhood and places I liked around LA on trips from 2005 through 2016 and was mostly bummed. Things change, life goes on. Saw that Farfalla restaurant is still on Hillhurst, as is Yucca burrito stand in Los Feliz. Back in 90's had an apartment above Farfalla restaurant, so good eats were but short walk. Rode out the Northridge quake in that apartment too. Cracks all over many buildings, but we came out ok. Miss those frequent nights at the Greek Theater, visiting LA Zoo and Gene Autry Museum. LA has just gotten so much more unlivable due to even more congestion, but each generation must decide for themselves if it is a place they want to live. Like to have all those hours back spent in traffic on 405.
Found Central Arizona a better fit as I aged. Light traffic. Unpretentious people for most part. More affordable. Better quality of life. No doubt though, big LA smokes little towns for most everything younger people crave. Many people, when they move up past middle age are less enthralled with stimulation and find small town life more to their liking. I didn't care for Phoenix whether Scottsdale or Chandler or wherever. Not one of my favorite cities by any measure except the mild winters. I think ones age in life is huge determinant what they will or will not put up with as to their quality of life. Hope everyone finds their spot for at least part of their life. No one place has it all, though Marin County gets close enough (for this old bird). If only I could afford it (:

Last edited by trouillot; 02-03-2019 at 04:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 04:52 PM

1,336 posts, read 928,812 times
What turned California into the mess it has is partly an incessant drive toward blind allegiance to progressive policies (see San Francisco the sanctuary city as poster child here), and then, for reasons I am not sure, an immigration of idiots, is how I can best refer to them as. If you want to see this species of human, stop in any fast food rest stop on I5 between LA and Bay area, especially during the summer... you'll see exactly what I am talking about.

That idiot immigration is our worst problem in California, actually, not the south of the border kind, who mostly work super hard and live in crappy apartments cutting the lawn and cleaning the toilets of everyone right and left here. This idiot migration is pretty color blind, and contains plenty of all types. Why are they migrating West like this ... I dunno.

For loud talking types, actually here it's the mainland Chinese farmers who are nouveau riche and yakking on their phones or between themselves like the rest of us don't exist. I've actually seen signs (English and Chinese fwiw) in Beijing airport, admonishing these less Western educated Chinese to not spit or yell when they visit other countries. Damn, but how they yell though !

Old 02-03-2019, 07:23 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,049,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Seriously what is the deal with California people? I don’t think about “racism” ever, is racism really that common in California that you know of areas where it’s not a problem? What is going on over there??

Well anyway I have no idea where you are working but that zip code is the west valley and generally more blue collar than the east valley, IMO California’s would prefer the west valley or central Phoenix but if your willing to drop the pretense and learn to enjoy a more working class and conservative are than 85043 could be great .
Why would Californian's prefer the west side or central Phoenix? Closer to LA? Your statement doesn't make sense to me.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouillot View Post
Lived in LA (Los Feliz) very close to Griffith Park. LA'a always been full of vehicles, but in 80's and 90's it was a cooler place to be in my humble opinion. Visited my old neighborhood and places I liked around LA on trips from 2005 through 2016 and was mostly bummed. Things change, life goes on. Saw that Farfalla restaurant is still on Hillhurst, as is Yucca burrito stand in Los Feliz. Back in 90's had an apartment above Farfalla restaurant, so good eats were but short walk. Rode out the Northridge quake in that apartment too. Cracks all over many buildings, but we came out ok. Miss those frequent nights at the Greek Theater, visiting LA Zoo and Gene Autry Museum. LA has just gotten so much more unlivable due to even more congestion, but each generation must decide for themselves if it is a place they want to live. Like to have all those hours back spent in traffic on 405.
Found Central Arizona a better fit as I aged. Light traffic. Unpretentious people for most part. More affordable. Better quality of life. No doubt though, big LA smokes little towns for most everything younger people crave. Many people, when they move up past middle age are less enthralled with stimulation and find small town life more to their liking. I didn't care for Phoenix whether Scottsdale or Chandler or wherever. Not one of my favorite cities by any measure except the mild winters. I think ones age in life is huge determinant what they will or will not put up with as to their quality of life. Hope everyone finds their spot for at least part of their life. No one place has it all, though Marin County gets close enough (for this old bird). If only I could afford it (:
I like a lot of what you said about Los Angeles. At one time that metro was a near paradise (post WWII)--perfect weather, booming economy, beautiful mountains, beaches, outdoor lifestyle, very good public schools.

Times changed, politics changed, the area became flooded with illegals, home prices spiked in the '70s, air quality got worse and worse, and the NIMBYs started getting vocal and loud. Now, it's a place for the rich and the poor. The middle class is leaving in droves.

Disagree about Marin County--pretty, but too chilly and damp. And sorry you don't care for Phoenix or other valley cities. I think this is a relatively clean, modern, comfortable metro with reasonable COL.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Nothing that Moonbeam says that leaves me SMH surprises me (not surprising re coming out of his mouth).
But don't you feel better now that Newsom replaced Moonbeam?

Old 02-21-2019, 03:49 PM

5 posts, read 3,360 times
We moved here two years ago, been visiting from Ca (Orange County) for decades, GET OUT of CA ASAP! I love the Scottsdale area but very expensive, we settled in N. PHX & love it. There are good/bad neighborhoods ALL OVER THE VALLEY, find a place near your career & rent to get familiar with the area. You could live miles from your job & the commute is still reasonable compared to Ca.
As for the "racism"... IDK what to tell you, I think MANY people are looking to be offended & therefore see things that might not be intended to be racist.
People hate others for many reasons & very few are legitimate reasons, but this happens all around the world.
I don't believe Arizona is any more racist, bigoted, biased, hateful or "human" than any other place "humans" live.
I can tell you the people in Arizona though are A LOT friendlier & more pleasant than SoCal, for sure, but they cannot drive for ****! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area