Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2019, 07:00 PM

390 posts, read 307,218 times

Advertisements

Good evening,
I will be attending a conference at Estrella Mountain Community College in Avondale, AZ. I don't know anything about this area. I would either be booking a hotel or staying at an AirBNB and having my employer reimburse me.

What areas should I steer clear of and what areas are good? Is Peoria or Litchfield park OK?

I believe I will have a car... if not I was thinking of taking the bus or an Uber.
This conference is at the end of May and so I am wondering if it's very hot at that time.
Your suggestions are much appreciated! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 08:54 PM

2,789 posts, read 7,452,731 times
If you can find a rate that fits within your employer's reimbursement limits, I'd suggest the Wigwam. It's a classic resort situated two miles from EMCC in Litchfield Park. This time of year it would be pricey, but by May, lower summer rates may be in effect.

There's no direct bus connection between the resort and the college, but the short distance would keep taxi / rideshare fares low. If the Wigwam doesn't work out, you can find all sorts of national chain hotels along I-10 near the Dysart Road and Litchfield Road exits.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:26 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
If after memorial day there is a solid chance you can grab a summer rate there. Convenient to the college and walkable to some food/drink options in LP, as well as nice choices on property

End of May will definitely be warmer - safe bet you'll be in the 90s - maybe some triple digit heat

Not sure if you'll have a lot of down time or how you are looking to spend it.

Litchfield Park is fairly sleepy. Peoria really shouldn't be an option.

Goodyear & Avondale both have areas adjacent to EMCC.

The campus there is fine and safe. My young kids go there for summer programs.

I've never had to wait long for a Lyft out here, despite being away from the action

Once you get a spot/area settled, let the board know what kind of food you like, downtime you'll have, interests, etc and we can provide suggestions to help round it out

I mean you could very well be happy staying at the Holiday Inn, checking into Chili's nightly and running to the campus and that's fine....... But it would be a shame if that's what you felt you had to do

Old 01-25-2019, 08:52 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,478,654 times
Try to time your commute out to Avondale around rush hour. If you pick up your car at 4:00 PM you may not get into your hotel room for potentially 90 minutes. I used to live in the area and there are all of your typical chain restaurants and hotel room options you would find in any suburban part of the country.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:31 AM

Yeah - if you are in your car at the airport much before 6 you may be better off grabbing a bite for dinner in that area and letting traffic die down

Backups will start around 3

Old 01-25-2019, 10:25 AM

277 posts, read 276,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLessTraveled2015 View Post
Good evening,
I will be attending a conference at Estrella Mountain Community College in Avondale, AZ. I don't know anything about this area. I would either be booking a hotel or staying at an AirBNB and having my employer reimburse me.

What areas should I steer clear of and what areas are good? Is Peoria or Litchfield park OK?

I believe I will have a car... if not I was thinking of taking the bus or an Uber.
This conference is at the end of May and so I am wondering if it's very hot at that time.
Your suggestions are much appreciated! Thank you.
Not a whole lot out in Avondale besides suburbia I’m sure you can find a generic Marriott hotel or whatever and itll be fine, you’ll need a rental car, prepare for chain restaurants

Old 01-25-2019, 10:35 AM

277 posts, read 276,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
If you can find a rate that fits within your employer's reimbursement limits, I'd suggest the Wigwam. It's a classic resort situated two miles from EMCC in Litchfield Park. This time of year it would be pricey, but by May, lower summer rates may be in effect.

There's no direct bus connection between the resort and the college, but the short distance would keep taxi / rideshare fares low. If the Wigwam doesn't work out, you can find all sorts of national chain hotels along I-10 near the Dysart Road and Litchfield Road exits.
Do this the wigwam looks cool

Your other options are Hampton inns and Fairfield Marriott

Old 01-25-2019, 10:41 AM

There is no need to eat at a chain restaurant unless that is what you want to do

Definitely a wide variety of options available

Old 06-07-2019, 01:40 PM

390 posts, read 307,218 times
Update: I ended up staying at an Airbnb in the city of Tempe. I liked the neighborhood and the houses were cute. I stayed at a place near Kyrene Rd and Guadalupe Rd in the "Tempe Royal Estates" area. There was a park nearby named Celaya Park.

Let's say that in the future, I moved to this area. How is that neighborhood? Is there a lot of crime? (I didn't notice anything.) Is it a good neighborhood for a couple without kids? People say to stay away from the city of Guadalupe (a few blocks away).

Can anyone give me insight or an opinion of this neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area