Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 02:37 PM

1,336 posts, read 928,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Being in an area that has variety; whether it be racially, culturally, housing stock, amenities, etc.
Is it assumed by outsiders that AZ is by definition mostly not 'diverse', such that one specifically needs to call out for that characteristic of an area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 02:49 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
Is it assumed by outsiders that AZ is by definition mostly not 'diverse', such that one specifically needs to call out for that characteristic of an area?
Yes, I would certainly say so.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:16 PM

a. do you agree with that assertion ?

b. as someone who is coming from the SF Bay area, a supposedly 'diverse multi-cultural area', I can say there is an incredibly low tolerance and high level of disdain for anyone who is not adhering and loudly espousing the progressive zeitgeist that is so in fashion here and other cities. You know how Henry Ford said you can have any color you want as long as it's black ? Well here in the Bay area you can have any opinion you want, as long as it's in chorus with the shrieking masses.

I am ready for a different definition of diversity and tolerance of differing opinions and cultures.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:30 PM

566 posts, read 574,110 times
It's not like that here. I have found a lack of shrieking masses from either end of the spectrum. It's refreshing.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post
It's not like that here. I have found a lack of shrieking masses from either end of the spectrum. It's refreshing.
That sounds so refreshing. Thank you.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:28 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,151,444 times
Quote:
a. do you agree with that assertion ?

b. as someone who is coming from the SF Bay area, a supposedly 'diverse multi-cultural area', I can say there is an incredibly low tolerance and high level of disdain for anyone who is not adhering and loudly espousing the progressive zeitgeist that is so in fashion here and other cities. You know how Henry Ford said you can have any color you want as long as it's black ? Well here in the Bay area you can have any opinion you want, as long as it's in chorus with the shrieking masses.

I am ready for a different definition of diversity and tolerance of differing opinions and cultures.
On the subject of "diversity"...one just needs to look at recent demographics of the state to determine that Arizona is overwhelmingly (73%) White. Now...that gets a bit skewed since Hispanics get lumped into that category and the largest ancestral group in AZ is Mexican (27.4%). Metro Phoenix has definitely been getting more diverse but African Americans still only make up like 5% of the population, we have seen a rise in our Asian population as well. The census in 2020 will put some numbers on the change from 2010 to now and I assume the "diversity" numbers will go up. The biggest thing that people from back East don't understand is that the Metro Phoenix (besides being HUGE area wise) is that these different races don't self-segregate into specific areas of town. With few exceptions, you can't say which areas are going to be more diverse than other areas. There are some areas, specifically around employers that tend to attract knowledge workers (Intel, ON, State Farm, Go Daddy etc) that are more diverse than others but it is not like there is a specific "China Town, Little Italy, etc." in the Valley.

For most Arizonans...the question of "diversity" really doesn't matter. We tend to judge people on how they behave and treat others. All the racial hangups and questions tend to be with the individual rather than the society as a whole. In short...most of us don't care.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:13 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,922,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Also, the sticky should have a graph/chart/color code of some sort that depicts the correlation between the increase in posts and the decrease in temps up north. Maybe something like a 5 icicle alert system?
classic, Burning!

all you Chicagoans, keep one important thing in mind; dont bother coming out here now, since we all know how delightful 75 degrees and sunny is in January; instead plan your trip in June or July, and stay a few days, THEN come back to this forum and ask your questions..
You might feel differently after visiting in the summer..

Old 01-29-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
For most Arizonans...the question of "diversity" really doesn't matter. We tend to judge people on how they behave and treat others. All the racial hangups and questions tend to be with the individual rather than the society as a whole. In short...most of us don't care.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:27 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:

Indeed. Well done, Kurt.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:10 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,814,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown2AZGirl View Post
I will be moving to Arizona this year and was hoping to get some insight with regard to the areas I am looking to move in. What are your thoughts about housing, entertainment and diversity in the Gilbert, Chandler and Queen Creek areas?
I've lived in Gilbert for almost 3 years now. My general thoughts about is that it's a growing family friendly area. So housing, food, and entertainment generally caters towards families. But in general it's a very nice place to live as I'm in my late 20s and I'm at a stage in my life where I much prefer the quiet lifestyle as opposed to having parties every weekend. So Gilbert was a natural fit. In terms of "diversity" Gilbert is less diverse than Chicago, ethnicity-speaking. You can look up the demographics statistics on Gilbert, but it's definitely less diverse.

I can't really speak for Queen Creek, but Chandler being Gilbert's neighbor has a very similar feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area