Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 04:31 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times

Advertisements

It makes me sick that something like this can happen in America.

Glendale is easy to avoid, thankfully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 04:41 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,638,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
It makes me sick that something like this can happen in America.

Glendale is easy to avoid, thankfully.
Not exactly if it's a major suburb and has a lot of amenities for those who live up in Yavapai county and want to spend money down there. We could go to Peoria or Deer Valley, but then it become a hassle having to remember which places to avoid. Back on topic, abusive cops who are power hungry don't deserve to wear a badge.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:34 PM

1,336 posts, read 928,812 times
Is this Glendale incident a one-off in AZ or a pattern ?

Old 02-13-2019, 04:45 AM

8,045 posts, read 12,271,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
Is this Glendale incident a one-off in AZ or a pattern ?
Not a pattern at all. And besides: we don't really know the entire story of what caused the incident in the first place. These videos have a way of skewing the public mentality against the police, when in reality it's often the so called "victim" who instigates the entire incident by simply not cooperating, or being violent & aggressive. I'm not saying the Glendale police were correct to do what they did, but that we the public don't have all the facts over something that happened over a year and a half ago!

Old 02-13-2019, 06:42 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
Here is the raw video from the event including police interaction.
Here are some points:
* The event took place in a high crime area where Glendale is putting more cops on the streets.

* The car was being pulled over for not putting on their turn signal. When you see the footage roll, the driver of the silver car pulled into the Motel 6 parking lot.

* Other video has been released showing the women throwing a bag of soda cans at one of the officers AFTER several of the initial taser events. He drops to the ground from the hit.

* Wheatcroft is currently in jail as we speak for a home burglary. He has had several arrests since 2003. My guess is that will be the cities defense for leaving him in prison for a couple of months. I suspect Glendale will try and show that the police got a bad guy off the streets. That's only my uneducated guess.
* There is raw video from the Motel 6.

* While it doesn't matter, Wheatcroft did have his ID on him (see the raw video).

* The police said there were methamphetamines in the car. Yet no charges were made.

* Attorney Marc Victor took over the case in 2018 and was not Whearcroft's initial attorney. Mr. Victor has represented several local higher profile cases. I've know Marc for 10 plus years and he is a good guy and a pit bull of an attorney. As a disclaimer, I don't have any inside info. But if I ever needed an attorney for something like this, he would be the go-to guy. He released the following raw video on his website (via youtube.com ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=lOuQiZbsYW0

Old 02-13-2019, 07:32 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,964,244 times
We live in a world where civilians have to remain calm even if they are aggressively and improperly pursued in case a coward in blue and purportedly trained professional over reacts to a situation.

The cop might have gotten off with the tasing at the outset. Pulling his pants down and continue using to tase him when he was cuffed was just sadistic. He should be charged.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:39 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
We live in a world where civilians have to remain calm even if they are aggressively and improperly pursued in case a coward in blue and purportedly trained professional over reacts to a situation.

The cop might have gotten off with the tasing at the outset. Pulling his pants down and continue using to tase him when he was cuffed was just sadistic. He should be charged.
Don't forget he was also kicked in the seeds. Also Wheatcroft was threatened while being screamed at that he would get it again (while the probe was on his penis).

If I remember, you are an attorney. If so, can the police be personally liable in a civil lawsuit? I hope so. While initially in control, the police's ego quickly got way out of line. On top of it all, he is a complete idiot (tasing his seeds) all the while the camera is rolling. I understand police losing their temper. I understand them getting a little more forceful than they should. But something tells me this isn't the 1st time a cop has used the "taser the seeds" approach. A quick google search shows it happens https://www.google.com/search?q=poli...w=1920&bih=969 .

Old 02-13-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Don't forget he was also kicked in the seeds. Also Wheatcroft was threatened while being screamed at that he would get it again (while the probe was on his penis).

If I remember, you are an attorney. If so, can the police be personally liable in a civil lawsuit? I hope so. While initially in control, the police's ego quickly got way out of line. On top of it all, he is a complete idiot (tasing his seeds) all the while the camera is rolling. I understand police losing their temper. I understand them getting a little more forceful than they should. But something tells me this isn't the 1st time a cop has used the "taser the seeds" approach. A quick google search shows it happens https://www.google.com/search?q=poli...w=1920&bih=969 .

Yes, but usually the target is the employer (City of Glendale, who I believe is self-insured) because they have reserves to pay judgments. You'd allege that the City of Glendale is vicariously liable for the officer's acts and is also independently liable for failing to properly train and supervise him. They probably toss in a 1983 claim as well (deprivation of Constitutional rights).

You don't really want to try to separate the officer from his employer because you don't want a jury to award let's say $500,000 and then apportion the officer to pay $250,000 of it personally because you'll never get it.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:02 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,095,192 times
I don't know why all the cop hate in this thread.

5-0 rolls up on a car full of tweakers obviously either doing a drug deal and/or smoking to get high or sample the goods before doing the deal. Obvious since they're backed in so they can see the 5-0 roll up and up next to another car for cover so they can ditch the drugs and paraphernalia if/when 5-0 does roll up.

When the 5-0 does roll up and while they're exiting their car, the tweakers can be seen frantically scurrying about within the car doing just as I said above, hiding the stuff. Nothing to see here folks, lol. Looks like great police work to me. Especially claiming that it is a turn signal violation that is the P.C.

Of course it does go downhill in a hurry once the cop doesn't realize that dude is caught up in the seatbelt. Right from the beginning. And cop thinks the dude is resisting, does he ever realize that dude is caught in seatbelt before dude yells and tells him that? I mean he looks right a dudes feet almost still in car with seatbelt wrapped around them BEFORE he tases him in the nards.

The only thing I'd add is once tased in the nards and such and free of the seatbelt, I would have just stopped moving and struggling at all.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
I don't know why all the cop hate in this thread.

5-0 rolls up on a car full of tweakers obviously either doing a drug deal and/or smoking to get high or sample the goods before doing the deal. Obvious since they're backed in so they can see the 5-0 roll up and up next to another car for cover so they can ditch the drugs and paraphernalia if/when 5-0 does roll up.

When the 5-0 does roll up and while they're exiting their car, the tweakers can be seen frantically scurrying about within the car doing just as I said above, hiding the stuff. Nothing to see here folks, lol. Looks like great police work to me. Especially claiming that it is a turn signal violation that is the P.C.

Of course it does go downhill in a hurry once the cop doesn't realize that dude is caught up in the seatbelt. Right from the beginning. And cop thinks the dude is resisting, does he ever realize that dude is caught in seatbelt before dude yells and tells him that? I mean he looks right a dudes feet almost still in car with seatbelt wrapped around them BEFORE he tases him in the nards.

The only thing I'd add is once tased in the nards and such and free of the seatbelt, I would have just stopped moving and struggling at all.
Hey if you can hold still while being tased in the nuts have at it. That's the most impressive thing I've heard from anyone really.

Also, with one small guy and some 6 officers, why even taze? Clearly you have the upper hand. This is an officer on a power trip who let his ego get the best of him and now he will face consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area